West bound transatlantic cruise questions

IDL

53 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are on November 16 Silhouette. 

Silhouette still has about 45 cabins open  -   It is not uncommon to see cancellations at or near final payment date.   Not sure of which category you are looking for but the prices I see are:

Inside $940 pp

Veranda Guarantee $990pp

Concierge  1,330 PP

Aqua 1,701 pp

SS   $5,740

Sunset Sky Suite $5,839

That's the ship we are looking at. We are looking for a balcony so will wait till final payment. If we go, we would love to meet you both after all the wonderful TR I have read that you did. I will post if we get on it!!! We are hoping prices will come down as precovid transatlantic passages were not very popular. Weather can have rough seas in the Atlantic in November especially crossing the Gulfstream. We crossed to Bermuda on our own sailboat in November 24 years ago & it was the worst weather we had in 7 years of cruising full time. So I'm hoping for lots of cancelation. Most people have no clue about how rough this passage can be! Hope to see you both!!!

If there is any north wind over 20 knots in the Gulfstream, it will be a rough trip. We hit about 40 knots of north wind & 15- 20 foot seas- tgat was sustained wuth even higher gusts. It was horrible & we are blue water sailors!  I have never been that seasick before! The problem is trying to avoid hurricanes & north wind in October- November & it usually can't be done.  We are experienced blue water sailors with over 15000 blue water miles.

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

If there is any north wind over 20 knots in the Gulfstream, it will be a rough trip. We hit about 40 knots of north wind & 15- 20 foot seas- tgat was sustained wuth even higher gusts. It was horrible & we are blue water sailors!  I have never been that seasick before! The problem is trying to avoid hurricanes & north wind in October- November & it usually can't be done.  We are experienced blue water sailors with over 15000 blue water miles.

Keep trying.  Maybe you can convince some naive soul to cancel on that balcony cabin you're after 😒

• Haha 2

Just now, canderson said:

Keep trying.  Maybe you can convince some naive soul to cancel on that balcony cabin you're after 😒

Yup I would bet 90% of the cruisers have no clue about how bad an ocean crossing can be. Read the perfect storm & what happened with the sailboat. IIMHO that's a true account of what it's like. That's why we, in the Navy, send our ships out to sea in a hurricane. I retired from the Navy & also did a detail in US Coast Guard. The ship will try to avoid bad weather but sometimes there's no where to go. Even I'm going to bring sea sickness meds. I usually get seasick for the first 3 days of a long passage & then I get my sea legs. I hate getting seasick!!! We hit a gale in AK on a cruise ship 30 years ago & over 95% of the ship was seasick. We almost had the whole dining room to ourselves. I hope this post will be fair warning to those not used to bad weather as I'm not making any of this up!!!!! We bent the gooseneck on our mast & the weight of the waves crashing into our lifelines bent them on our sailboat going into Bermuda in the storm.

1 hour ago, catspaw1 said:

That's the ship we are looking at. We are looking for a balcony so will wait till final payment. If we go, we would love to meet you both after all the wonderful TR I have read that you did. I will post if we get on it!!! We are hoping prices will come down as precovid transatlantic passages were not very popular. Weather can have rough seas in the Atlantic in November especially crossing the Gulfstream. We crossed to Bermuda on our own sailboat in November 24 years ago & it was the worst weather we had in 7 years of cruising full time. So I'm hoping for lots of cancelation. Most people have no clue about how rough this passage can be! Hope to see you both!!!

Hope we get an opportunity to meet.  

I've done a number of TA's  maybe --  This I would consider a Mid-Atlantic Crossing.   You can never tell when storms will come along but generally are rather mild.   Some have been so smooth you would swear you were on a lake.    Often the area of the Azores can be a bit rocky but the ships usually follow a shadow of calmer water on the east side of the islands.  

This website really gives a one week projection of Sea Heights in animated fashion. 

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

If you look at the rotation you will see why the Northern Crossings can be so rough and the Southern crossing normally the calmest. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Yup I would bet 90% of the cruisers have no clue about how bad an ocean crossing can be. Read the perfect storm & what happened with the sailboat. IIMHO that's a true account of what it's like. That's why we, in the Navy, send our ships out to sea in a hurricane. I retired from the Navy & also did a detail in US Coast Guard. The ship will try to avoid bad weather but sometimes there's no where to go. Even I'm going to bring sea sickness meds. I usually get seasick for the first 3 days of a long passage & then I get my sea legs. I hate getting seasick!!! We hit a gale in AK on a cruise ship 30 years ago & over 95% of the ship was seasick. We almost had the whole dining room to ourselves. I hope this post will be fair warning to those not used to bad weather as I'm not making any of this up!!!!! We bent the gooseneck on our mast & the weight of the waves crashing into our lifelines bent them on our sailboat going into Bermuda in the storm.

The worst seas we went though was on the Equinox November 2012 our first TA ,

went though a Hurricane from Toulon to Barcelona , 

15 m waves , cabins on deck 8 forward had water coming into cabin from the balcony , 

The Atlantic Ocean was a walk in the park for the next 12 TAs 

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Hope we get an opportunity to meet.  

I've done a number of TA's  maybe --  This I would consider a Mid-Atlantic Crossing.   You can never tell when storms will come along but generally are rather mild.   Some have been so smooth you would swear you were on a lake.    Often the area of the Azores can be a bit rocky but the ships usually follow a shadow of calmer water on the east side of the islands.  

This website really gives a one week projection of Sea Heights in animated fashion. 

http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

If you look at the rotation you will see why the Northern Crossings can be so rough and the Southern crossing normally the calmest. 

Well we cruised our boat extensively in the Atlantic blue water sailing full time for 7 years so feel we are experienced wit the Atlantic. We also sailed on her when we were weekend warriors before we left to go cruising. We did have a quiet passage from Cuelbra PR directly to Chesapeake Bay. We were actually be calmed but that was in June & it took us as a short handed crew 14 days to make the passage. Once the northerly winds start coming down from Canada in August combined with hurricanes,  it makes for very unsettled weather - especially in September,  October, & November. But that's just my experience. Predictions are for a higher than normal hurricane season this year & I'm surprised we haven't seen more hurricane Beryl like storms yet. But they are a coming I fear- hope I'm wrong. 

11 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Yup I would bet 90% of the cruisers have no clue about how bad an ocean crossing can be.

As the old saying goes, "You pays your money and you takes your chances".  There's a reason why there are so many dedicated cruisers who, every Fall, are on one or another of the many available westbound TAs.  Like us. 

Best game is a bet whether, after two glasses of wine at dinner, you can make it back to the cabin without touching a wall... and not because of the two glasses of wine.

You'd think all of those bad experiences would dissuade them, wouldn't you? 

There's a HUGE difference between "can be" and what it usually is.  90% of that hard core is there year in and year out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The worst seas we went though was on the Equinox November 2012 our first TA ,

went though a Hurricane from Toulon to Barcelona , 

15 m waves , cabins on deck 8 forward had water coming into cabin from the balcony , 

The Atlantic Ocean was a walk in the park for the next 12 TAs 

Then I would say you haven't experienced how angry the Atlantic ocean can be. Trust me I've been in a few gales & they can be really rough. Wrong way hurricane Lenny was a late season hurricane in the Atlantic but I think we are in uncharted waters with global warming & hurricanes. Watch the tropical waves forming off the west coast of Africa for now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah because they haven't experienced a bad storm yet!!! If they did, I wonder how many would return? Even the Navy ships hit bad weather with lots of sea sickness. Some, like me are prone to it, but my husband has never experienced seasickness even with all the bad weather we encountered while sailing . Yes I will ask for Sturegon from my DR 

Stugeron?  That stuff can be tough on the stomach.

Your experiences will always be worse than our realities until they're not - I get that.  Like living in Tokyo, we should all just be ready for "the big one".  But like the folks in Tokyo, we don't spend all day under our desks waiting for it.  I suspect your memory is also somewhat subject to scale.  Blue water or not, you didn't have a 26' draft.

Knowing all of that, why in the world would you want to take a westbound TA?

48 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Then I would say you haven't experienced how angry the Atlantic ocean can be. Trust me I've been in a few gales & they can be really rough. Wrong way hurricane Lenny was a late season hurricane in the Atlantic but I think we are in uncharted waters with global warming & hurricanes. Watch the tropical waves forming off the west coast of Africa for now. 

We are writing about time on a cruise ship, not a yacht 🤣

Last year on  both the spring and fall TAs the captain change course to avoid any bad weather ,  and it a Celebrity ship Not a Virgin ship that doesnt change course and ends up getting tossed around 

And if it is the southern route there more chance of a hot , glass like water cruise 😁

• Like 1

I can do a TA because I'm used to the ocean & love it. I know what I'm getting into.  I love sea days as it reminds me of sailing & the Navy. I love it even when there's storms as it fascinates me. I love just reading a book & watching the ocean. I grew up 5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean so have loved it my whole life. I swam on swim teams & lifeguarded. So yes the sea holds my interest.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We are writing about time on a cruise ship, not a yacht 🤣

Last year on  both the spring and fall TAs the captain change course to avoid any bad weather ,  and it a Celebrity ship Not a Virgin ship that doesnt change course and ends up getting tossed around 

And if it is the southern route there more chance of a hot , glass like water cruise 😁

I think you missed the part where I said I was retired Navy & worked at USCG also. We also sailed full time for 7 years so have both experiences. A carrier in a hurricane is better than a yacht since it's bigger & goes faster. I would not want to be on either then. Anyway, we're hoping to get on the TA- several we are looking at. Generally speaking, hurricanes are less frequent in November & December but we are in uncharted weather due to global warming. Beryl went much further south in the Caribbean than normal. We shall see!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Like you I have had some REALLY rough crossings.   One Nov 18, 2018 crossing on Silhouette - Northern Crossing Boston, Beaches and Broadway-- there was a huge storm and they had to route all ships -  QM2 was in front of us  -  South of the Azores.    It caused us to arrive Boston a day late and they had to cancel Bermuda.  All our furniture from deck in a RS was moved into our living room for the entire cruise.   
When I started cruising 23 years ago I got terribly sea sick but outgrew it and now.   Now I enjoy a bit of rokin and rolling.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Well we cruised our boat extensively in the Atlantic blue water sailing full time for 7 years so feel we are experienced wit the Atlantic. We also sailed on her when we were weekend warriors before we left to go cruising. We did have a quiet passage from Cuelbra PR directly to Chesapeake Bay. We were actually be calmed but that was in June & it took us as a short handed crew 14 days to make the passage. Once the northerly winds start coming down from Canada in August combined with hurricanes,  it makes for very unsettled weather - especially in September,  October, & November. But that's just my experience. Predictions are for a higher than normal hurricane season this year & I'm surprised we haven't seen more hurricane Beryl like storms yet. But they are a coming I fear- hope I'm wrong. 

Like you I'm really surprised there have bee so few Hurricanes so far.   Hoping for the best but I do like a bit of movement on the ship...

• Like 1

I enjoy some rocking & rolling but don't like to heel more than 10 degrees! It also depends on the direction of the wind & sea state. Confused seas coming from multiple directions are the worse. And don't get me started on rogue waves! Anyway, I'm hoping we go. Just mailed hubby passport back for renewal so hope it comes back by the end of October.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

I enjoy some rocking & rolling but don't like to heel more than 10 degrees! It also depends on the direction of the wind & sea state. Confused seas coming from multiple directions are the worse. And don't get me started on rogue waves! Anyway, I'm hoping we go. Just mailed hubby passport back for renewal so hope it comes back by the end of October.

Have you been hit with a rouge wind ? 
Had that also on our first TA , the ship listed for more than 20 mins , 

Captain had a fun time explaining that one next day at the captain talk 🤣

Jim , I will watching your weather report as you leave a couple days before us this November but we heading to the Canary Island before turning to NA 

But really I am more interested the seas for in our 2025 TA to Argentina 🤔😁

18 hours ago, canderson said:

As the old saying goes, "You pays your money and you takes your chances".  There's a reason why there are so many dedicated cruisers who, every Fall, are on one or another of the many available westbound TAs.  Like us. 

Best game is a bet whether, after two glasses of wine at dinner, you can make it back to the cabin without touching a wall... and not because of the two glasses of wine.

You'd think all of those bad experiences would dissuade them, wouldn't you? 

There's a HUGE difference between "can be" and what it usually is.  90% of that hard core is there year in and year out.

THANK YOU! 💜

We're part of that hard core cadre.

( Icouldn’t have said it any better)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

THANK YOU! 💜

We're part of that hard core cadre.

( Icouldn’t have said it any better)

and usually us but regrettably not this year (flying both ways) but already booked on Eclipse for 2025. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/26/2024 at 11:35 AM, PTC DAWG said:

I need to book one of these..westbound TA sounds great..get the long flight out of the way right off the bat. 

Just go biz class and the long flight is delightful...but coming back from FLL, not so much.

Edited by Lastdance