Canary Islands

Posted (edited)

Going on our first Canaries/Madeira cruise this autumn. 

Ships tours are almost full and the ones that are left don't excite me much.

Thinking of hiring a car (Cicar?)

in the Canaries. Any input which island is best for a self drive tour and what to see?

Thinking of either Lanzarote or Tenerife. We have 9 hours in each port.

We're not really shopping type of people. Prefer sightseeing or a beach if nothing else to do.

Thanks

Sue

Edited by sgmn

We really like having a rental car on Tenerife.  For a first-time visitor we would suggest working out an itinerary that includes the drive up to the top of Mt Teide.  That can be done as simply a round trip day trip, or one can vary the route.  One of my favorite routes is to drive directly from town to Teide, and later use the back roads to head down to the northern coast (i.e. Purerto de la Cruz).  At that point, we work our way around the eastern end of the island back to Santa Cruz (the Port).  

Hank

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sgmn said:

in the Canaries. Any input which island is best for a self drive tour and what to see?

We're not really shopping type of people. Prefer sightseeing or a beach if nothing else to do.

Thanks

Sue

I have rented several times with Cicar. I strongly recommend them. They have similar rates with other companies but offer more after they have more offices. For instance, they do not give extra charges if the delivery and return office are differents (for instance I went to North Tenerife airport and returned from South Tenerife airport. They didn't charge me). And they allow you to change from one island to another providing you return to the same island.

Which island could you visit?

Absolutely all of them. I had a mate who was born in the Canaries, had visited all of them and said they are strongly different.

Lanzarote is the island with the best urbanism. Quite cool. Visiting Timanfaya and vulcano is a must (Timanfaya means Fire mountain in an old local language)

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0071599,-13.7615307,3a,75y,206.52h,81.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9iZTiTzcyDBIFobuet4uMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Fuerteventura is beaches. But not resort hotels for beaches. Just beaches to be alone

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.6709008,-13.8348589,3a,75y,292.37h,82.3t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipObrHxxx0KW4equGOatKRbEz-g22CppKEkHYOfD!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipObrHxxx0KW4equGOatKRbEz-g22CppKEkHYOfD%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0.45016074-ya247.99036-ro-0-fo100!7i2508!8i1254?coh=205409&entry=ttu

La Palma is known for nature

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.8112636,-17.8342395,3a,75y,146.65h,91.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIh1yz7ipiLaoOsEe79g_1g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205409&entry=ttu

La Gomera , I always say I was in this national park with my daughter when she was 7 and she requested everyone to remain in silence to not to disturb any fairy

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.126455,-17.2601714,3a,75y,46.44h,82.77t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s-hTiOIV7HgT9oFhSBgnUkw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D-hTiOIV7HgT9oFhSBgnUkw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D127.71043%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205409&entry=ttu

El Hierro. Go there if you want to have peace and not to be disturbed

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.7559584,-18.1068475,3a,75y,134.17h,85.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sp77VtVyw7_EIKKEg06mMgg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?coh=205409&entry=ttu

Gran Canaria is a bustly island but you can find nature too

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0284561,-15.5887249,3a,75y,0.07h,78.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJfHWgek55ZPXlhVoyWxllw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

And the image for Tenerife is well-known

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.2804753,-16.5753918,3a,75y,253.12h,86.63t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s0kXS4KrBqT-mB5BSemeGnA!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D0kXS4KrBqT-mB5BSemeGnA%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D146.67569%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

You can just glance any road map. It is hard different a Tenerife or Gran Canaria road map (with several motorways) than smaller islands where barely you can drive on third rear

We too have rented from Cicar on almost all of the Canary Islands, and recommend them for professionalism, clean late cars, sensible pricing and fuel policy, and an absence of add-on charges & rip-offs.

Our preference is for Lanzarote

In the south - including Timanfaya, the volcanic "fields" which enter the sea a Los Hervideros and the quaint seaside resort of Playa Blanca

In the north - including Jameos del Agua & the nearby Cueva de los Verdes, the Mirador del Rio, and the Cesar Manrique sights at Haria and Tahiche 

Puerto del Carmen would be a convenient & convivial base, but not right in the centre where overnight parking is fraught.

The one major resort that I'd steer clear of is Costa Teguise, a sprawling modern resort with very little infrastructure.

All just MHO as usual

JB 🙂

If you go to Lanzarote it is quite easy to get a ferry to Fuerteventura. Just in 15 minutes (or less) by taxi you can have the best Canary beach

• Like 1

I visit Tenerife each winter and can only comment on that, as I've never been to Lanzarote. We did all the touristy things many years back so trips now are of the "fly and flop" variety for three weeks winter sun. 

Cicar and Autoreisen are consistently recommended on travel forums so I would pick whichever one is most convenient for the cruise port. 

Things to see:

Teide - Spain's highest mountain with great views, assuming the weather is kind. Bear in mind (1) you need to apply for a permit in advance if you want to take the cable car to the top of the volcano and (2) it can be very cold up - take an extra layer.

San Cristobel de la Laguna - large town which retains its 15th century layout.

La Orotava - another well preserved town. The carved wooden balconies on many houses are well worth a look. 

All three are doable in the day. 

• Thanks 1

Hello:

About Teide.
It is over 3700 metres high. A question for students in Spain is which are the highest mountains in the country and the answer is that the first is Teide.

The entire summit area is a national park and has very strict conservation regulations. It is not allowed to deviate from the itineraries, whether on foot or by car.
Now, either things have changed or you do not need a permit to go up by cable car. The permit is required to go to several places (including the summit) after the cable car. That is, if you pay for a cable car ticket you can go up and enjoy the views. If you want to go up to the summit or walk around the area you will need a permit.

The permit is free. It is a way for the national park to ensure capacity due to the fragility of the ecosystem. They only give out a certain number of permits per day (and if you get up very early and take the first cable cars of the day you still do not need a permit at that time), but you just have to ask for it.

About shelter... you climb up to more than 3,500 meters. It is advisable to bring some shelter even though it is very hot.

and I invite you to visit a couple of places.

On the one hand is the tourist parador. It is the only hotel in the area. Parador is a luxury hotel in a public network (they belong to the state). I recommend eating there with incredible views.

And on the other hand, almost in front of the parador you can see and photograph the Teide from where this photo is posted

and what is in the center is... an old thousand peseta note (6 euros), the one that was the most used in Spain. Its image was the Teide from this corner

Sendero Roques de García, una ruta suave en el corazón de El ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2024 at 12:19 PM, sgmn said:

For Madeira, if you have never been to Funchal then there is plenty to see and do in the city for a day that doesn't involve shopping, and although tours of the island are interesting, they are more appropriate when you are actually staying on the island.

For the Canaries then the cruise port towns can be quite 'hit and miss'.

Puerto del Rosario on Fuerteventura is a pretty awful town with frankly nothing to see, and would be a place where hiring a car might be worthwhile. However it is pretty simple to get a bus either to Corralejo in the north or one of the beach resorts to the south.

Arrecife on Lanzarote is better, but still isn't anywhere to write home about, and is another place where hiring a car would be a reasonable choice, as even using buses it is tricky to get anywhere interesting.

Santa Cruz on La Palma is a quaint little town that is quite pleasant to stroll around, and it is possible to use the local bus service (and a taxi at the end) to go up to the caldera.

Las Palmas on Gran Canaria isn't a bad stop if you haven't been there before, and it is easy to get a bus into the old town, and then afterwards the beach is only a short walk across the isthmus from the port to relax.

Santa Cruz on Tenerife is perhaps the best stop. The main town is quite interesting, it is easy to get a tram to La Laguna, easy to get a bus to the wonderful Teresitas beach and the small town of San Andres, or even get a bus to Puerto de la Cruz on the other side of the island.

As for car hire companies in the Canaries, then Cicar is the one to use (Autoreisen which is equally good only has offices at the airports). They have a straightforward 'the price you see is the price you pay' policy with no add-ons for CDW or anything like that.

The only issue is that although *theoretically* they might have an office at the cruise port, a lot closed during COVID and still haven't reopened - I know the one in Tenerife is open (it is a portacabin office in the car park of the ferry terminal) as I hired a car from there in February.

However *do not* just turn up on spec hoping to hire a car on the day as you will probably be disappointed - when I was picking my car up in February they were turning away cruise passenger after cruise passenger who had just turned up wanting to rent a car.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Puerto del Rosario on Fuerteventura is a pretty awful town with frankly nothing to see, and would be a place where hiring a car might be worthwhile. However it is pretty simple to get a bus either to Corralejo in the north or one of the beach resorts to the south.

I strongly agree. Puerto del rosario has absolutely nothing to see.

there are some pretty villages like Corralejo, but also Pajara and, my favourite, Betancuria.

You can go to Ajuy caves

Ajuy (Fuerteventura) • 2024 Qué saber antes de ir - Go Fuerteventura

Visiting phares (this one is just 97 km away from Morocco)

✓ GUÍA DE FUERTEVENTURA - Faro de La Entallada « GUÍA DE FUERTEVENTURA

or in the last corner of the island

Faro de Punta Jandía • Centro de Interpretación (Fuerteventura) • 2024 Qué  saber antes de ir - Go Fuerteventura

some other pretty villages

like Pajara

Fotos de Pájara (Fuerteventura), Las Palmas, Canarias, España

Corralejo

Corralejo (Fuerteventura) • 2024 Qué saber antes de ir - Go Fuerteventura

but specially Betancuria

Betancuria, el pueblo más bonito de Fuerteventura que permenece anclado en  el pasado - Chic

and mainly Fuerteventura is known after Beaches

Dunes is the best

Dunas de Corralejo, un desierto a escala reducida en Fuerteventura

If you are logged in Lanzarote island, it is quite easy to reach this beach. A return ticket ferry (there are several companies, there's more or less, one ferry every hour. It takes 35 minutes to arrive Fuerteventura) and a taxi to this beach. Ask anywhere to stop and ask for his phone number in order to call him for the return journey. It is 5-15 km away from the pier (depending where you wanna go)

It is an isolated beach. Do not expect resorts or clubs, just a lot of peace

but there are more beaches. All these pictures are taken in quite different points in the island

PLAYA DE COFETE (Morro del Jable) - Qué SABER antes de ir (2024)

Coral Cotillo Beach, Cotillo (precios actualizados 2024)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alserrod said:

A return ticket ferry (there are several companies, there's more or less, one ferry every hour. It takes 35 minutes to arrive Fuerteventura)

The problem with the ferries between Fuerteventura and Lanzarote (or in fact all the ferries in the Canaries) is the two tier pricing for residents and non-residents.

A resident will pay around €25 for a return trip, which is quite reasonable.

A non-resident would have to pay around €100 for that same trip, which is simply absurd.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

A non-resident would have to pay around €100 for that same trip, which is simply absurd.

I think (but may be wrong) the discount for residents is because of subsidies from the central and regional governments. Discounts for taxpayers, if you will, due to subsidies funded by taxpayers. 

It helps, say, residents of La Gomera to be able to access the greater work opportunities on nearby Tenerife. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Arrecife on Lanzarote is bette

We did a Canaries cruise last year which included Arrecife. We didnt fancy any excursion and originally planned just to have a mooch round the town. However, I have a couple of e-friends who regularly holiday on Lanza and advised  that the town was no great shakes. We treated that day in port as though it was a sea day and don't feel we lost out. 😀

7 hours ago, 9265359 said:

The problem with the ferries between Fuerteventura and Lanzarote (or in fact all the ferries in the Canaries) is the two tier pricing for residents and non-residents.

A resident will pay around €25 for a return trip, which is quite reasonable.

4 hours ago, Harters said:

I think (but may be wrong) the discount for residents is because of subsidies from the central and regional governments. Discounts for taxpayers, if you will, due to subsidies funded by taxpayers. 

It helps, say, residents of La Gomera to be able to access the greater work opportunities on nearby Tenerife. 

Indeed, there is a discount for residents of the Canary Islands. It includes any trip within Spain with origin or destination in the Canary Islands by boat or plane. That is, any trip within the Canary Islands and any trip to another point in Spain. If you buy a combined plane ticket (for example, arriving in Madrid and taking a second plane to your destination) the second plane is also discounted.

They pay 25% of the ticket price, whatever it is. The other 75% is paid by the Spanish Ministry of Transport. Whatever the price. If you have bought a promotional ticket, it will be cheap for the ministry and if you have bought a very expensive last-minute ticket... the passenger pays 25% of the expensive ticket and the ministry pays 75%.

One of the requirements that was imposed a few years ago is that the price must be the same on all computers from which it is consulted and you only have to indicate that you are a resident of the Canary Islands at the end. That is, the prices cannot be linked to the IP of the mobile phone or the computer. This came about due to complaints stating that the same ticket enquiry while in the Canary Islands or while on the Iberian Peninsula gave different prices.

In other words... the price "is what it is", and residents get a discount for various reasons. On the one hand, because it is a free zone, on the other hand, because the ministry will never build a motorway or a high-speed train line there and the only way to ensure their mobility is this way.

Passengers must prove their residence. Ferry and airline companies check it carefully. If the documentation is incorrect, they do not charge the 75% of the ministry.

This discount also applies to residents of the Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera), to those of Ceuta and those of Melilla on trips from their residences to other places in the same way as in the Canary Islands.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alserrod said:

Indeed, there is a discount for residents of the Canary Islands. It includes any trip within Spain with origin or destination in the Canary Islands by boat or plane. That is, any trip within the Canary Islands and any trip to another point in Spain. If you buy a combined plane ticket (for example, arriving in Madrid and taking a second plane to your destination) the second plane is also discounted.

They pay 25% of the ticket price, whatever it is. The other 75% is paid by the Spanish Ministry of Transport. Whatever the price. If you have bought a promotional ticket, it will be cheap for the ministry and if you have bought a very expensive last-minute ticket... the passenger pays 25% of the expensive ticket and the ministry pays 75%.

One of the requirements that was imposed a few years ago is that the price must be the same on all computers from which it is consulted and you only have to indicate that you are a resident of the Canary Islands at the end. That is, the prices cannot be linked to the IP of the mobile phone or the computer. This came about due to complaints stating that the same ticket enquiry while in the Canary Islands or while on the Iberian Peninsula gave different prices.

In other words... the price "is what it is", and residents get a discount for various reasons. On the one hand, because it is a free zone, on the other hand, because the ministry will never build a motorway or a high-speed train line there and the only way to ensure their mobility is this way.

Passengers must prove their residence. Ferry and airline companies check it carefully. If the documentation is incorrect, they do not charge the 75% of the ministry.

This discount also applies to residents of the Balearic Islands (Mallorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera), to those of Ceuta and those of Melilla on trips from their residences to other places in the same way as in the Canary Islands.

Wow!  Interesting,  now I understand  another reason why my friends chose the Canary’s to retire to.  

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

Wow!  Interesting,  now I understand  another reason why my friends chose the Canary’s to retire to.  

Well.... having residence means they have to be taxpayers in that region and discount is only within islands and to Spain mainland but... it can serve.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bennybear said:

now I understand  another reason why my friends chose the Canary’s to retire to

It used to be a popular place for Britons to retire to but, since we left the European Union, that is now so difficult as to be all but impractical. It was also a popular thing to buy  property there using it in the winter months and renting it out as a holiday let in other periods. Also now denied to us as restrictions are placed on how long we can stay in an EU country. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Harters said:

I absolutely understand the purpose and funding of the discount, but the main point was that the ferry between Fuerteventura and Lanzarote is exceptionally expensive for the short distance it travels, and it certainly doesn't seem worthwhile for a couple to pay €200 to 'pop over' for the day to go to a different beach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 9265359 said:

I absolutely understand the purpose and funding of the discount, but the main point was that the ferry between Fuerteventura and Lanzarote is exceptionally expensive for the short distance it travels, and it certainly doesn't seem worthwhile for a couple to pay €200 to 'pop over' for the day to go to a different beach.

Hi

Fees for non-residents

Return ticket Playa Blanca (Lanzarote) to Corralejo (Fuerteventura)

- Naviera Armas

by ferry:  60 euro/adult, 7 ferries/day

- Fred Olsen

by ferry: 65 euro/adult, 8 ferries/day

by vessel: 35 euro/adult, 6 vessels/day

- Lineas Romero

by vessel: 34 euro/adult, 5 vessels/day

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2024 at 10:36 AM, 9265359 said:

For Madeira, if you have never been to Funchal then there is plenty to see and do in the city for a day that doesn't involve shopping, and although tours of the island are interesting, they are more appropriate when you are actually staying on the island.

For the Canaries then the cruise port towns can be quite 'hit and miss'.

Arrecife on Lanzarote is better, but still isn't anywhere to write home about, and is another place where hiring a car would be a reasonable choice, as even using buses it is tricky to get anywhere interesting.

Santa Cruz on La Palma is a quaint little town that is quite pleasant to stroll around, and it is possible to use the local bus service (and a taxi at the end) to go up to the caldera.

Las Palmas on Gran Canaria isn't a bad stop if you haven't been there before, and it is easy to get a bus into the old town, and then afterwards the beach is only a short walk across the isthmus from the port to relax.

Santa Cruz on Tenerife is perhaps the best stop. The main town is quite interesting, it is easy to get a tram to La Laguna, easy to get a bus to the wonderful Teresitas beach and the small town of San Andres, or even get a bus to Puerto de la Cruz on the other side of the island.

As for car hire companies in the Canaries, then Cicar is the one to use (Autoreisen which is equally good only has offices at the airports). They have a straightforward 'the price you see is the price you pay' policy with no add-ons for CDW or anything like that.

The only issue is that although *theoretically* they might have an office at the cruise port, a lot closed during COVID and still haven't reopened - I know the one in Tenerife is open (it is a portacabin office in the car park of the ferry terminal) as I hired a car from there in February.

However *do not* just turn up on spec hoping to hire a car on the day as you will probably be disappointed - when I was picking my car up in February they were turning away cruise passenger after cruise passenger who had just turned up wanting to rent a car.

Thank you for a great and detailed reply @9265359

Definitely leaning towards a car in Lanzarote/Arrecife

And maybe a non cruise tour in Tenerife.

Gran Canaria looks good for a DIY, walk around  maybe beach day

Thanks

Sue

Edited by sgmn

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

Thank you for a great and detailed reply @9265359

Definitely leaning towards a car in Lanzarote/Arrecife

Gran Canaria looks good for a DIY, walk around  maybe beach day

Thanks

Sue

Cicar has an office in the Information building on the cruise pier. Unless things have changed they drive you from there to their main port office & depot, where you pick up your car. You have the option of returning the car to the depot & getting a lift to the ship. or parking it on the cruise pier & dropping the key.

Here are a couple of potential routes - other than in Arrecife the roads are easy & traffic light.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/N62qxZ95rZ2eW5z19

Timanfaya National Park. Here the admission includes a convoluted drive in a Park bus along a narrow & twisting up & down road thro' the lava boulders. Demonstrations, food & drink at the visitor centre. 

Then drive across the lava fields to El Golfo (the "Green Lagoon") and a few miles down the coast to Los Hervideros, where the lava entered the sea.

If time permits, drop into Playa Blanca (not Puerto Carmen, which is crowed and confusing) to walk the seafront & mebbe stop for a beer or a snack, before returning to the ship.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/d3ss9oeNk6rF59DA9

North from Arrecife to artistically-enhanced  Jameos del Agua, the nearby natural lava-flow tunnel of Cueva de los Verdes, up to the viewpoint at Mirador del Rio, and back via Teguise and Tahichi. 

If your bent is Cesar Manrique, concentrate on Jameos del Agua and sights in Teguise and especially Tahiche.

Google the places in bold face, see what grabs you.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

Just to add to all the helpful points from JB.

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

Timanfaya National Park. Here the admission includes a convoluted drive in a Park bus along a narrow & twisting up & down road thro' the lava boulders. Demonstrations, food & drink at the visitor centre. 

An alternative to the pay entry national park is to drive to the Caldera de Los Cuervos which is free of charge and allows you to walk from the free but busy car park to the blown out volcano (https://maps.app.goo.gl/pZo7B3j2ftXGbkdd7) - when you reach the volcano make sure you turn *right* not *left* as that is the shortest route to the blown out entrance.

image.thumb.jpeg.c3c77daa18203a37d64a18cf0f05b39e.jpeg

Also on the southern route JB posted are the Ladera del volcán (https://maps.app.goo.gl/tG1zNNXpZVw5bM3JA) from a lay-by at the side of the road to reach them.

image.thumb.jpeg.415ac937e7ccbd2ec0dad23e3b8fe6f2.jpeg

4 hours ago, John Bull said:

If time permits, drop into Playa Blanca (not Puerto Carmen, which is crowed and confusing) to walk the seafront & mebbe stop for a beer or a snack, before returning to the ship.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the long drive down to Playa Blanca, and although most of Puerto Carmen isn't anything to write home about, the old town and harbour area is fine for a stop for a drink and bite to eat on the cliffs along Av. del Varadero overlooking the sea and there is a big carpark nearby (https://maps.app.goo.gl/M2PFDZmNd66GXEm2A) - obligatory picture of food...

image.thumb.jpeg.6d55ee92995220fbfbd5adc7b21e7f7e.jpeg

3 hours ago, John Bull said:

up to the viewpoint at Mirador del Rio

Unless you pay for entry there there is little to see there and for views the end of the road at Mirador de Guinate is almost as good (https://maps.app.goo.gl/jWBajm9aHgPF8qzd8).

image.thumb.jpeg.af7b5c2bf754696d37aaa97ef5cc0d10.jpeg

Also on the northern route JB posted is the Ciudad Estratificada (https://maps.app.goo.gl/Q2JrtRWLydGkJ9No8) that again is just a lay-by at the side of the road.

image.thumb.jpeg.84e454fd7d1e516e31def7b744dddd8f.jpeg

And Haria is a small town / village that is worth stopping at for a drink or snack, particularly if you are there on a Saturday morning when there is a proper artisan market (not the usual tat) here - https://maps.app.goo.gl/rFh8PZaeySnmwXFM6

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

As I mentioned the tram to La Laguna is easy (and cheap) and you can get it from near the cruise terminal (https://maps.app.goo.gl/rwavqphsqsjmJfb38) but check the weather in La Laguna before you go as it is 550m above sea level so can be cool or damp whilst it is a glorious sunny day in Santa Cruz. But you must buy a ticket before you get on the tram or they will fine you - but the ticket machines at every stop do have an English setting.

For a beach day, La Teresitas can easily be reached by bus (and you can pay on the bus) (https://maps.app.goo.gl/CjUtESc6jJuDgYTG6) and there are reasonably priced beach cafes all along the strip of golden sand as well as in San Andreas a few minutes walk away, and as there is a breakwater enclosing it then the water is warm and calm.

image.thumb.jpeg.41b56b0084dbd31a5e2fac8dd714fc15.jpeg

In Santa Cruz itself, then take a walk up to Parque García Sanabria which is a lovely place to stroll around in the shade under the trees and by the water fountains (https://maps.app.goo.gl/bEopxFKJkjqSigmZ6) and there is a nice cafe at the north end top of the park for a drink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I will be taking the Canary cruise in November.

What is the weather like at that time of year at the ports? 
- Shorts?

- long pants?

- sweater?

- light jacket?

- rain jacket?

8 minutes ago, phabric said:

I will be taking the Canary cruise in November.

What is the weather like at that time of year at the ports? 
- Shorts?

- long pants?

- sweater?

- light jacket?

- rain jacket?

All of the above.

It's the nearest accessible place for Brits & other Northern Europeans to find winter warmth, we've had a number of budget winter breaks in the Canaries

Generally very pleasant & sunny, but can be a little chilly, occasionally rain, even the occasional sand-storm brought over from Africa 

JB 🙂

12 minutes ago, John Bull said:

All of the above.

It's the nearest accessible place for Brits & other Northern Europeans to find winter warmth, we've had a number of budget winter breaks in the Canaries

Generally very pleasant & sunny, but can be a little chilly, occasionally rain, even the occasional sand-storm brought over from Africa 

JB 🙂

Thanks that is what I heard Brits go there for their holidays for the warm weather.