Paying for 4 passengers, but only 3 travelling

A few months ago I did a post here about us booking the last available sunset verandah cabin on a particular cruise.  We are a family of 3, but Celebrity stated the last remaining sunset verandah cabin has an "occupancy of 4", so we'd have to pay for 4 regardless.

Because we really wanted a sunset verandah, we are HAPPY to being paying for the imaginary 4th person.  Thats not the issue.

Today I rang Celebrity twice to confirm what I was previously told.  They are now saying that the moment the 4th person (currently named on the booking as T.B.A) is removed from our booking, we will ALL be removed from our current allocated cabin - as it requires 4 people!  Even after final payment!

I cant quite get my head around this.  Like I said, I'm happy to pay for the 4 people.

The 2 consultants I spoke to today, both suggested to use a friend or family members name as the 4th person, including checking them in online with their passport, and then the 4th person simply doesn't show up at the pier to board.  They claimed this is the only way us 3 wouldn't lose our current cabin.

Can anyone foresee any problems with doing what they are suggesting?  Will it present any issues if we are booked (and paid) for 4, but only 3 of us show up at the pier to board?

As mentioned above, this isn't a debate about wasting money paying for 4 people.  We simply want a sunset verandah and happy to pay for it.  I'm surprised Celebrity seem to have such a problem with it.

Thanks

I don't think you will have a problem. Even when boarding, don't mention the fourth person. If asked when boarding, just say they are arriving separately. You will never hear another word.

5 hours ago, jamespb78 said:

Can anyone foresee any problems with doing what they are suggesting?  Will it present any issues if we are booked (and paid) for 4, but only 3 of us show up at the pier to board?

No problem at all. No shows are common and expected - even if only 2 in a cabin.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jamespb78 said:

A few months ago I did a post here about us booking the last available sunset verandah cabin on a particular cruise.  We are a family of 3, but Celebrity stated the last remaining sunset verandah cabin has an "occupancy of 4", so we'd have to pay for 4 regardless.

Because we really wanted a sunset verandah, we are HAPPY to being paying for the imaginary 4th person.  Thats not the issue.

Today I rang Celebrity twice to confirm what I was previously told.  They are now saying that the moment the 4th person (currently named on the booking as T.B.A) is removed from our booking, we will ALL be removed from our current allocated cabin - as it requires 4 people!  Even after final payment!

I cant quite get my head around this.  Like I said, I'm happy to pay for the 4 people.

The 2 consultants I spoke to today, both suggested to use a friend or family members name as the 4th person, including checking them in online with their passport, and then the 4th person simply doesn't show up at the pier to board.  They claimed this is the only way us 3 wouldn't lose our current cabin.

As mentioned above, this isn't a debate about wasting money paying for 4 people.  We simply want a sunset verandah and happy to pay for it.  I'm surprised Celebrity seem to have such a problem with it.

Thanks

This type of disciplined enforcement does not happen in reality.  It does not even happen if the cancellation occurs when making payment.

I do check-in for Celebrity.  It doesn't matter if only 3 of 4 passengers show up.  Most likely you will be asked about the missing passenger, and if you tell the agent that the fourth passengers will not be sailing, that info is usually shared with the Pier Coordinator, who marks the person as a 'No Show'.  Having this information helps the folks in the terminal figure out how many passengers are still likely to arrive before the terminal doors are closed, but it doesn't impact your booked stateroom.

• Like 3

There was a time when we booked FV cabins on M class ships.  Those were a real anomaly - you couldn't even book one online with Celebrity's web site because the max pax you can enter is 4 and Celebrity said these cabins were for 5.  Our TA was always able to book the two of us into one of these cabins with two (not three) 'phantom' guests until final payment.  Celebrity never threatened to boot our reservation when payment was made only for two.

When did Celebrity start insisting on payment for some minimum number of guests (beyond the first 2) in any cabin at the time of final payment?

8 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I do check-in for Celebrity.  It doesn't matter if only 3 of 4 passengers show up.  Most likely you will be asked about the missing passenger, and if you tell the agent that the fourth passengers will not be sailing, that info is usually shared with the Pier Coordinator, who marks the person as a 'No Show'.  Having this information helps the folks in the terminal figure out how many passengers are still likely to arrive before the terminal doors are closed, but it doesn't impact your booked stateroom.

Do you need to do an online Check in for the missing passenger?

TIA Shari

40 minutes ago, Teddy from MV said:

Do you need to do an online Check in for the missing passenger?

TIA Shari

No, although with an actual booking one would expect to see some basic info about the passenger.   On occasion we will see a No Show passenger as listed as a TBA or TBD (to be announced or to be determined), but most of the no shows are actual passengers who, for whatever reason can't make the cruise.  

• Thanks 1