Business Class Air

emckeeve

12 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Need to add that in the US it has been a long time since travel agants booked flights, unless they are part of a package or the client has agreed to pay the travel agent since airlines haven't paid any commissions in years.

Same in Australia. In fact Qantas was the first airline in the world to cease paying commission.

My TA for airfares charges us $A200 per booking. $400 for the 2 of us flying. However he saves us thousands so well and truly worth it.

Last year we cruised from Japan to Australia and this year we did the reverse for cherry blossom time. So we flew Brisbane to Sydney then Singapore,Tokyo then boarded our cruise.

We used the rest of the ticket which was Tokyo,Bangkok, Tokyo,Singapore,Sydney and Brisbane after our cruise this year.

The Sydney to Singapore and return plus the Tokyo to Bangkok flights were in first class the rest in Business. Cost $A8900 each. On the cruise from Japan that cruised the Hong Kong to Singapore sector and the SS business class fare was nearly $A10000 for business class through SS according to a couple of Aussies we talked to onboard.

So still worth talking to a TA.

2 hours ago, sea bright said:

In February we had to book DtD to get certain cabin classes (Silver Suite  or higher) and could get a credit when we didn't use Silversea's air.  Staring in May or so, we could book Silver Suites, etc in the new PtP (refundable deposit, counts for Venetian days,etc.) which did not include air. I don't think under the new rubric you can book DtD and get an air credit.

That's because the old "DtD w/o Air" is now called "PtP."  The old "PtP" is now called "Essential" fare and lacks included shore excursions.  Very confusing reuse of terminology that will be the "gift that keeps on giving," like genital herpes...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think there is a wrinkle with that blanket statement re today’s PTP. Essential fares do not include tours while PTP, like DTD, do. Also, I understand that there are some cruise days/points accumulation benefits for PTP fares not offered on Essential fares.

Please correct me if I have this wrong.

Happy and healthy sailing!

One way I rationalize Biz Class (lie flat) expense on overnight East bound flights is, instead of dozing in the lobby of my hotel, waiting for my room to be ready, I feel good enough to get out and explore. It's like adding an extra day to your trip.

• Like 3

On 7/31/2024 at 1:27 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Seatguru has become an abandoned website.  Incorrect information, aircraft that are no longer in fleets and airlines that no longer exist.

I assume it exists only to funnel airfare searches to the Trip Advisor website.

That explains a lot!  I got our seat assignments this week for our upcoming SS cruise and went on Seatguru to check them out.  Compared them to the website of the two airlines that we're flying and the layout was completely different...lol.  Good to know!

We always book it when we book the cruise....But we  always check the routes AND our TA can usually get better airfare, without paying the deviation fee, as we always go in early and stay later.

The one time we paid for Business Class and booked flights through Silversea, they gave us terrible options (including non-Business Class seats across the Atlantic) and we had to pay a significant upgrade cost to get decent flights.

I do my own flight bookings, I enjoy the research and when I find a price I think reasonable I usually sit on it for a few days or weeks before booking to see if it changes (goes down?).   I usually book about 9 to 10 months out.   In Europe KLM and Air France are very reasonable in comparison with most of the other major carriers like BA, Qatar, AA, Emirates etc.  It does mean I have to transit in Paris or Amsterdam but the lounges for BC passengers are very good and I quite like stretching my legs before settling down to the final sector of my journeys.

• Like 1