How do I change bed configuration on booking?

Ukulele girl

I have just received my guarantee cabin number on a saver fare for Queen Anne 18-28th August sailing. Very happy with the deck and position but the bed configuration is not what I booked. What is the best way to change this please? 

3 minutes ago, Ukulele girl said:

I have just received my guarantee cabin number on a saver fare for Queen Anne 18-28th August sailing. Very happy with the deck and position but the bed configuration is not what I booked. What is the best way to change this please? 

Log in to your booking in My Cunard. On the "Booking summary" page, there's a "Bed configuration" section where you can select either "King" or "Twin".

If you find the bed configuration isn't what you want once you've boarded, ask your room steward to change the configuration. The king configuration can be divided into twins or twins can be joined together into a king.

Thank you 'bluemarble', that has worked perfectly. Fingers crossed that my changing it on line translates to actual cabin configuration. As you say if it isn't right the steward will sort it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ukulele girl said:

Thank you 'bluemarble', that has worked perfectly. Fingers crossed that my changing it on line translates to actual cabin configuration. As you say if it isn't right the steward will sort it.

I always request 2 singles . I have never arrived to find the bed split. They always change it for me first evening turn down. So if it’s not right just ask your cabin steward as soon as you see them. I always request twin on booking but have no expectation now  it will be done. Never had a problem changing it and it’s always done with good grace. One steward explained he can’t do it straight away as he has to order single linen from housekeeping but as I said it’s always been done by evening turn down. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Same if you want blankets: I always ring up Carnival House, and request them. The message doesn’t always get though, but they do it the first evening.

This is a good point because the heavy bed covers (I have no idea what they are called) are very warm. We asked for a change and got a thinner bed cover. 

1 hour ago, NE John said:

This is a good point because the heavy bed covers (I have no idea what they are called) are very warm. We asked for a change and got a thinner bed cover. 

The duvet.

21 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

The duvet.

Thank you! DW has explained all these decorating terms to me a million times and it goes on one ear and out the other… Duvet, sham, valances, tufted, feng shui. etc. It’s like speaking Martian to me!!

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, NE John said:

Thank you! DW has explained all these decorating terms to me a million times and it goes on one ear and out the other… Duvet, sham, valances, tufted, feng shui. etc. It’s like speaking Martian to me!!

My in-laws were visiting from the Carolinas and I responded to a question with a mention of the duvet on their bed. Mother-in-law couldn’t figure out what I was saying and I couldn’t figure out why not. Luckily, my sister-in-law was in the kitchen with us and translated duvet to “comforter” after my third attempt.  It hadn’t even occurred to me that that was the stumbling block!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yet another British-english word is "counterpane".   🙂

And in Australia we have a "doona".

Edited by sfred

7 hours ago, sfred said:

Yet another British-english word is "counterpane".   🙂

And in Australia we have a "doona".

I think countermand, both the word and the concept, might be dying out. I haven’t heard it this millennium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I think countermand, both the word and the concept, might be dying out. I haven’t heard it this millennium.

Sorry, the autocorrect hasn’t heard of counterpane either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

In my youth (a long time ago) the word counterpane wasn't used but we called the quilted topper for a bed made of sheets and blankets an 'eiderdown'. It was usually heavily patterned and frilled and was sometimes more decorative than warm. Living in the north our eiderdowns were thick and very warm. I doubt they were filled with eider duck feathers, probably chicken feathers which would have been cheaper.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ukulele girl said:

In my youth (a long time ago) the word counterpane wasn't used but we called the quilted topper for a bed made of sheets and blankets an 'eiderdown'. It was usually heavily patterned and frilled and was sometimes more decorative than warm. Living in the north our eiderdowns were thick and very warm. I doubt they were filled with eider duck feathers, probably chicken feathers which would have been cheaper.

I think a counterpane was not the same as an eiderdown, simply a coverlet, often made of some form of cotton. I still have eiderdowns if it is very cold. Hate duvets, though.

• Like 1

I stand corrected. From the net below:

“Counterpane” is an alteration of “counterpoint,” which was based on the Latin “culcitra puncta,” or “quilted mattress.” The suffix “pane” — an old word for “cloth” — replaced “point.” Did you Know? A “counterpane” is a decorative bedspread designed more to be seen than used for warmth.

2 minutes ago, Ukulele girl said:

I stand corrected. From the net below:

“Counterpane” is an alteration of “counterpoint,” which was based on the Latin “culcitra puncta,” or “quilted mattress.” The suffix “pane” — an old word for “cloth” — replaced “point.” Did you Know? A “counterpane” is a decorative bedspread designed more to be seen than used for warmth.

I didn’t know the derivation, but your description accords with my memory. Now…

What about candlewick?

Candlewick bedspreads - the height of sophistication in the 60s & 70s. I had a bright yellow one as a wedding present in 1976 and it still exists in the garage for use when decorating. It sheds bits all the time but as it covered a double bed down to the floor it makes a great decorators sheet when using a roller.

It's amazing how many words we have in the English language for each type of thing; I was told by an English teacher that this is why it is the language poets like to use.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Yes, eiderdown! Until I moved to Canada, whereupon it became duvet.

I don’t know what a candlewick is, and neither does my autocorrect! 😂

No, mine wanted to be talk about candlesticks instead. They too were vital bedside furniture until WW1.

image.thumb.jpeg.433dd7484e18bb040de39c69b8db6ab5.jpeg

• Thanks 1