Specialty dining recommendations on Sun?

We've got a cruise coming up in a few months on the Sun with some specialty dining included.  It's been six years since we've been on NCL (Spirit), and our specialty dining experience that time was mixed (great filet mignon at Cagneys, but everything else there and at the French restaurant was pretty mediocre that cruise).  We moved on to other cruise lines, but this year NCL had the right itinerary and timing, so we are back with a family group. 

The Sun has Cagneys, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, Sushi, and Moderno for choices (we'd probably skip Los Lobos).

I know it's somewhat dependent on the chefs, but I'd appreciate thoughts on what dishes and/or venues are working well currently on the smaller ships. 

We might do one with kids (age 7-12); would Teppanyaki or Moderno keep them entertained? 

It has been YEARS since I was on the Sun, but in general:

Teppanyaki would probably be very entertaining for the kids.  They kind of put on a bit of a show.  I LOVE the fried rice, main protein and veggies.  Since I do teppanyaki on every cruise, I'm tired of the show but love the food.

Moderno on another cruise line wasn't any more fun or entertaining than a regular restaurant.  You need to really enjoy meat to enjoy Moderno.

Personally, if I was picking two dining venues, I would do Cagneys and Teppanyaki.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 7:15 AM, DorothyB said:

Teppanyaki would probably be very entertaining for the kids.  They kind of put on a bit of a show.  I LOVE the fried rice, main protein and veggies.  Since I do teppanyaki on every cruise, I'm tired of the show but love the food.

Moderno on another cruise line wasn't any more fun or entertaining than a regular restaurant.  You need to really enjoy meat to enjoy Moderno.

Personally, if I was picking two dining venues, I would do Cagneys and Teppanyaki.

Helpful advice, thanks!  That gives us a good starting point.  

On 8/1/2024 at 6:57 PM, curmudgeon98 said:

The Sun has Cagneys, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, Sushi, and Moderno for choices (we'd probably skip Los Lobos).

Los Lobos is our favorite restaurant on ships which feature it.  We were saddened to learn that NCL plans to remove it from the Joy at its next dry dock in favor of expanding Cagney's.  Le Bistro is our favorite on all other NCL ships.  Teppanyaki can be a lot of fun for the show, so your children might really enjoy it.  The food is very good there, especially the seafood, although they have down graded the steak option at Teppanyaki recently and there have been several complaints on CC about that.  Last year we were on the Sky, a sister ship to the Sun, and really enjoyed the Sushi restaurant.  The food was outstanding and the design of the space and its atmosphere were perfect.  Cagney's has been hit or miss for us lately, but since the menu in Le Bistro was changed to eliminate the rack of lamb, we usually have included a dinner in Cagney's on each of our cruises so I can have their lamb chops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

Los Lobos is our favorite restaurant on ships which feature it.  We were saddened to learn that NCL plans to remove it from the Joy at its next dry dock in favor of expanding Cagney's.  Le Bistro is our favorite on all other NCL ships.  Teppanyaki can be a lot of fun for the show, so your children might really enjoy it.  The food is very good there, especially the seafood, although they have down graded the steak option at Teppanyaki recently and there have been several complaints on CC about that.  Last year we were on the Sky, a sister ship to the Sun, and really enjoyed the Sushi restaurant.  The food was outstanding and the design of the space and its atmosphere were perfect.  Cagney's has been hit or miss for us lately, but since the menu in Le Bistro was changed to eliminate the rack of lamb, we usually have included a dinner in Cagney's on each of our cruises so I can have their lamb chops.

NCL is removing Los Lobos on ENCORE on the upcoming dry dock. Los Lobos is not even on JOY 🙂

Getting ancient we find the show at Teppanyaki a bit much and the food is poorer without the fillet option.   We no longer even think of Moderno; the standard is way down from a few years ago.  The buffet there lost a lot when they took out their seafood chowder!!   The meat is only so-so.

Cagney's is our favourite only because of the upcharges in Le Bistro.   We do like La Cucina where there is one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2024 at 4:16 PM, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

Getting ancient we find the show at Teppanyaki a bit much and the food is poorer without the fillet option.   We no longer even think of Moderno; the standard is way down from a few years ago.  The buffet there lost a lot when they took out their seafood chowder!!   The meat is only so-so.

Cagney's is our favourite only because of the upcharges in Le Bistro.   We do like La Cucina where there is one.

What type of upcharges are there in Le Bistro?  We are on the Sun in January and were planning that as one of our Specialty Dining meals.  Thank you for any additional information you can provide.  We will be making our reservations in 2 weeks, so I am working on venues and days right now.  Also, I heard if you are planning on reserving Teppanyaki, it should be done first to avoid a charge?

@Lindy Sue

Here is the menu for le Bistro- https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Fleet_Le-Bistro_Dinner-Dessert-Mobile-Menu_052824.pdf

I think that the only upcharge is about $10 on the Fillet.

If you have the "package" book Teppanyaki and Moderno first.   If there is a problem sign out and start again doing those two and then sign out and do any others.

21 minutes ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

@Lindy Sue

Here is the menu for le Bistro- https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Fleet_Le-Bistro_Dinner-Dessert-Mobile-Menu_052824.pdf

I think that the only upcharge is about $10 on the Fillet.

If you have the "package" book Teppanyaki and Moderno first.   If there is a problem sign out and start again doing those two and then sign out and do any others.

We have 3 SDs included in our club balcony cabin. Is this considered a package?

On 8/2/2024 at 12:57 AM, curmudgeon98 said:

We've got a cruise coming up in a few months on the Sun with some specialty dining included.  It's been six years since we've been on NCL (Spirit), and our specialty dining experience that time was mixed (great filet mignon at Cagneys, but everything else there and at the French restaurant was pretty mediocre that cruise).  We moved on to other cruise lines, but this year NCL had the right itinerary and timing, so we are back with a family group. 

I know it's somewhat dependent on the chefs, but I'd appreciate thoughts on what dishes and/or venues are working well currently on the smaller ships. 

We might do one with kids (age 7-12); would Teppanyaki or Moderno keep them entertained? 

We just got off the Sun, in fact I’m typing from Heathrow, waiting for my connecting flight up to Manchester. We ate at Le Bistro a couple of days ago, and can definitely recommend the Beef Tenderloin. 👍🏼

• Like 3

Interesting that there were no upcharge for the Le Bistro filet on the Dawn a couple of weeks ago. It was excellent.

I previously thought to avoid Los Lobos because of some mediocre reviews, but it was very good except for the flank steak, which was chewy. The churros and tres leches were on point!

Our last Cagney's visit was mixed. The filet was pretty good (though not nearly as good as the one I had at Le Bistro), but the ribeye was awful. Luck of the draw I guess.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DesertJake said:

Interesting that there were no upcharge for the Le Bistro filet on the Dawn a couple of weeks ago. It was excellent.

I previously thought to avoid Los Lobos because of some mediocre reviews, but it was very good except for the flank steak, which was chewy. The churros and tres leches were on point!

Our last Cagney's visit was mixed. The filet was pretty good (though not nearly as good as the one I had at Le Bistro), but the ribeye was awful. Luck of the draw I guess.

Cagney's has been getting mostly bad reviews since restart.  Most say filet at Le Bistro better than Cagneys.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dexddd said:

Cagney's has been getting mostly bad reviews since restart.  Most say filet at Le Bistro better than Cagneys.  

Do you think they order some filets for each restaurant? Of course not! They order a whole bunch of filet beef and each restaurant grabs theirs for the day out of storage and cuts it and prepares it. It is the luck of the draw as to whose is better on a given day. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, zqvol said:

Do you think they order some filets for each restaurant? Of course not! They order a whole bunch of filet beef and each restaurant grabs theirs for the day out of storage and cuts it and prepares it. It is the luck of the draw as to whose is better on a given day. 

You and i have no idea how they do it unless you work for them.  I can only speak for numerous posts here over the years that Cagneys filet has only gotten smaller and worse and most prefer It at Le Bistro.  Last couple trips we passed on specialty dining because Haven, while same menu each night, just better.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...