Solo Fares disappearing

Archipelago

I am very disappointed that Silversea has decided to almost eliminate Solo fares. I have been looking at Crystal as they have cabins specifically for solo travelers. I have booked two cruises..one an easy 8 day “taster” and the other one an 18 day cruise IF I like the Taster.

I feel both sad and even guilty for being disloyal  (I have over 1,000 days)….but realistically it’s SS who is leaving me.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, CruisinPashmina said:

I am very disappointed that Silversea has decided to almost eliminate Solo fares. I have been looking at Crystal as they have cabins specifically for solo travelers. I have booked two cruises..one an easy 8 day “taster” and the other one an 18 day cruise IF I like the Taster.

I feel both sad and even guilty for being disloyal  (I have over 1,000 days)….but realistically it’s SS who is leaving me.

And it's their loss.   Don't worry, in a few years when things slowdown they will be begging you to come back.....but you may have already found a new home.  😄

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

But the trouble with Crystal solo cabins is that they are not verandah and they are forward, not midships.

As a solo who likes to step out into fresh air from her cabin and will not sail up at the pointy end, Crystal is not offering me anything attractive.

SS may be reducing the 25% fares, but I gave up bothering about them ages ago because they were so seldom on dates and itineraries I wanted; however I find that the usual solo supplement I am offered is 50% which is still better than many other lines, so SS is not actually 'eliminating solo fares'.

And in contradistinction to others who feel differently, I am still happy with the SS product, it suits me just fine.

Well, I do have one little niggle, I am currently on the Shadow and find I am missing Spaccanapoli so much ...

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 4

A question...if you go into the 100 day sailing status on the ship do you get the 100 day perks then or do you wait until the next booked voyage ? Looking at B2B  voyages and would go over that on one . ???

52 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

A question...if you go into the 100 day sailing status on the ship do you get the 100 day perks then or do you wait until the next booked voyage ? Looking at B2B  voyages and would go over that on one . ???

I reached 100 days while on a cruise and received the benefits while I was on that cruise.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 10:06 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

There are many TAs that work extra hard and have special relationships with certain cruise lines. Some TAs are just order takers who give rebates

I would have switched the "many" and the "some"

• Like 2

Contacted Silversea for a 2025 cruise for 3, 2 suites (one single). For this particular cruise single supplement is 100%. One person in the suite pays the same price as 2 persons pay. 

We will look some where else or do a land trip.

• Like 3

On 8/4/2024 at 1:25 PM, Archipelago said:

Was just checking and Regent has 71 voyages on offer for solo travellers many at 25%  ..have always had a great time solo on SS so I hope this is just a glitch in pricing but willing to try Regent 

I have been on 2 Regent cruises and would go again.  Lovely solo program with hosted cocktail party and dinner afterward, very similar to what Silversea does.

Seabourn did not have the cocktail parties but I had an invitation to a hosted table every nite.

I am booked on Paul Gaugain for Tahiti in early 2026 as they were (are?) showing some ZERO supplements.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sad reality is that Silversea is now fully in the grips of parent corporation Royal Caribbean Groups beancouters whom have consistently demonstrated a strong level of animosity against solo travelers.  They want butts in beds and strive for over 100% occupancy on all sailings with maximum ancillary (onboard) revenue. Just look at the shenanigans with Celebrity over the last decade and one can clearly read the tea leaves for Silversea. In short - Solos need not apply - corporate does not want or value your business. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

Solo fares down to 6 now 🫢.......

Sorry but this is slightly misleading. What you are talking about is the 25% Special solo fare - I agree that it’s a shame that, currently, there are so few - but that is not the same as Solo fares in general. 
If you can get a 50% solo supplement which does seem to still be available at least for some itineraries, that’s still a pretty good solo fare. 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2024 at 9:44 AM, CruisinPashmina said:

I am very disappointed that Silversea has decided to almost eliminate Solo fares. I have been looking at Crystal as they have cabins specifically for solo travelers.

I understand per diem cost, but never the fascination over solo fares.  Coming from SS, the solo cabin on Crystal will be a brutal shock.  Not something I would attempt because beyond size, there is some setback with location.  The difference in passenger mix is noticeable. 

Get over those two bumps and you could find Crystal a great product.  Closer to luxury than the self proclaiming ultra luxury competition.   I'd be nervous too if not having tried other brands after 1000 days sailed with SS.  I hope Crystal delivers for you as it has for others. 

I checked with other cruise lines and found that single supplement was minimum 75% and maximum 85% fo the cruises I wanted. Silversea was 100%.

It seems that some offers can come as last minute, if you can wait to see.

We will probably do a road trip that can be very very nice for the 3 of us.

Hi Lirio, I dont know which lines you checked but Regent, Seabourn and Crystal  all have some  less than 50% solo supps. But it depends where you start from--SS have hiked up their prices big time so a 50% solo supp on an Antarctica cruise still works out very expensive!!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Elizabethbea said:

Hi Lirio, I dont know which lines you checked but Regent, Seabourn and Crystal  all have some  less than 50% solo supps. But it depends where you start from--SS have hiked up their prices big time so a 50% solo supp on an Antarctica cruise still works out very expensive!!

Still waiting Crystal response and didnt check with Regent, I look for it. For Seabourn, the cruise I checked was 85%.

I guess I got lucky because my next 3 cruises are all reasonably priced (in my opinion)....I always sail solo and happy with the price I paid.

• Like 1

I am getting a quote for a B2B September 2025 on Explora I.  The current promotion is 25% solo supplement on ANY cruise.  I was shocked.

TA does not recommend Ponant because she said their food is not good and most everything is in French.  But they do have many 0 solo supplements.

19 minutes ago, MHF said:

I am getting a quote for a B2B September 2025 on Explora I.  The current promotion is 25% solo supplement on ANY cruise.  I was shocked.

TA does not recommend Ponant because she said their food is not good and most everything is in French.  But they do have many 0 solo supplements.

Hi Missy, good to see you again. Hope you are doing well😃

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Lois!  Headed to Alaska this weekend with 2 friends who have never been.  We are on the HAL Eurodam.  Then I'm trying the Silver Ray in November:  have you been on her?  Will be interesting to see the new design.  Then Silver Spirit in February for Africa.

The Explora I quote for next September is here...and attractive...

Fair sailing to you!  M

54 minutes ago, MHF said:

Hi Lois!  Headed to Alaska this weekend with 2 friends who have never been.  We are on the HAL Eurodam.  Then I'm trying the Silver Ray in November:  have you been on her?  Will be interesting to see the new design.  Then Silver Spirit in February for Africa.

The Explora I quote for next September is here...and attractive...

Fair sailing to you!  M

Hi Missy, I sailed Nova last year but never on the Ray. I much prefer Moon and Dawn.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Your TA is incorrect so far as the Ponant Kimberely expeditions are concerned --all expedition crew first language English and English spoken throughout ships. Food is ok. Nothing special.

14 hours ago, Elizabethbea said:

Your TA is incorrect so far as the Ponant Kimberely expeditions are concerned --all expedition crew first language English and English spoken throughout ships. Food is ok. Nothing special.

I think you were meaning to quote Missy😃........not me.........I never mentioned Ponant in my reply.

• Like 1