help deciding between Emerald and REgal for British Isles 2025

sunsetme

Emerald.

Longer cruise, more stops, and smaller ship - shorter tender lines, not as many in port at time, etc.  

And, Regal is my favorite ship, lol.  I'd choose Emerald, given the info you've supplied...

Is this the Emerald cruise: Southampton, Fallmouth, Falmouth, Cobh, Hollyhead, Liverpool, Belfast, Glasgow, Stornaway, Shetlands, Invergordon, Edinburgh, Southampton?

Can't work out which Regal Cruise it might be.  It would be great if you could list the ports. 

Regardless it really depends on what you are interested in.  I'd love to go to the Shetlands. 

Then think about the differences between the ships. Passenger numbers and restaurants available. There have been a couple of live threads to the British Isles lately.  Might be worth it to research the ports and look at the photos to work out which interests you most. 

I personally prefer the smaller ships but we did the Royal around the British Isles and it was fabulous. 

We just made this decision two days ago. We’ve been on the Regal 4 times, chosen not for the ship but the itinerary. She’s a beautiful ship but too big for us. We also dislike the minuscule balconies (we spend a lot of time, morning and evening out there.) We enjoy the Emerald, older but more traditional ship with a wonderful promenade deck, not to mention decent sized balconies. Decided on Iceland and British Isle itinerary on Emerald, Sept. 1, 2025. Roll Call is amazingly active for 13 mos. out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sunsetme said:

Emerald cruise is 14 nights with 5 Scotland stops and Wales, whereas Regal is12 nights with 3 England stops not Wales and less Scotland. Any opinions?

I don't have any opinion on the listed itineraries, but I'm currently on the Emerald and sailed on the Regal a few years ago. I generally prefer the Regal. It fits better with what I like about cruising. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't have any opinion on the listed itineraries, but I'm currently on the Emerald and sailed on the Regal a few years ago. I generally prefer the Regal. It fits better with what I like about cruising. 

What is it about the Regal that fits better with what you prefer about cruising? 

I’ve missed out on sailing on the Emerald on an upcoming Canada New England cruise and have the Majestic instead. I’ve been a bit disappointed and would love to hear why you prefer the Regal, the Majestic’s sister ship. 

Edited by paddingtonbear

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, paddingtonbear said:

What is it about the Regal that fits better with what you prefer about cruising? 

I’ve missed out on sailing on the Emerald on an upcoming Canada New England cruise and have the Majestic instead. I’ve been a bit disappointed and would love to hear why you prefer the Regal, the Majestic’s sister ship. 

The buffet layout is suboptimal on the Emerald.They sometimes close off half of it at dinner, which makes the other half uncomfortably full. It's also unnecessarily painful, IMHO,  to get my own beverages. The buffet was better on the Regal.

The rest of the experience so far is similar on both ships, at least to me. YMMV.

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Thanks 1