Problems Booking La Dame

Hlitner

We are on the Shadow for a 14 day Caribbean cruise in early December,  Yesterday, the booking window (for restaurant reservations) opened at the 120 day mark.  But looking on the web site, it shows Le Dame "Unavailable" for the entire cruise.  Is that normal?

Hank

Presumably you are on the 3rd December sailing which opened for bookings today. 
I booked our La Terrazza tables today and have just checked and note that Le Dame are not available as you say. So bang goes my time (UK/USA) theory.

I wonder if there is connection between this and the 21day gap between the previous cruise and this one that is currently unaccounted for.

2 hours ago, eastwoodboy said:

Presumably you are on the 3rd December sailing which opened for bookings today. 
I booked our La Terrazza tables today and have just checked and note that Le Dame are not available as you say. So bang goes my time (UK/USA) theory.

I wonder if there is connection between this and the 21day gap between the previous cruise and this one that is currently unaccounted for.

We noticed your "gap" post and just assumed that the ship was going in for a routine drydock (likely in the Bahamas).    Do you think they are simply eliminating Le Dame and perhaps repurposing that venue?   Speaking of that subject, with Seabourn we are seeing a lousy trend where the cruise line charters their ships, even after they have accepted lots of bookings.  Some of their charters are over 10 days long..so perhaps SS is heading in that same direction.  You probably also noticed that the gap is during the Thanksgiving (USA) holiday.

Hank

SS has been accepting charters for times when the original cruise had been open for booking for a year or two. We have been affected twice by this practice.

Embarked the Shad today, just chatting to the waiter in Terrazza at dinner, the Nov gap is definitely a dry dock. He had no further details, mebbe I can find out more as the cruise proceeds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

My partner and I with friends are on the Silver Whisper 8th December 2024 Mumbai to Singapore cruise - this trip has already been an adventure: change of ship (we originally were travelling on Silver Dawn), revised/shortened itinerary, intense pricing ""discussions"" with Silversea, reimbursements of costs due to air fare change fees (local domestic flights), revising our pre-cruise program in India, etc, etc.  With hard work and determination,  help from our TA, and emails/calls with Silversea customer service, we are determined to make this trip work out.

The latest issue: we are at 120 days from departure so online Restaurant reservations are open for booking.  We made our reservations at La T and The Grill, but La Dame is NOT AVAILABLE on each and every night of this 14 night cruise!  Reservations just opened hours ago and the ship is not fully booked, so how can this be?  Something is not making sense here - any ideas?  My guess is that the product/pricing for La Dame is being updated and ""more expensive"" La Dame product (already offered on Silver Nova and Silver Ray) will be introduced on to the other Silversea ships.  Anyone have any other information or ideas?

There is already a post from another member stating that he/she is having the same issue when trying to book La Dame on a December 2024 Silver Shadow cruise so something is up.

I will try calling Silversea and/or our TA after the weekend and will update if I learn anything.

On 8/5/2024 at 3:55 PM, Hlitner said:

We are on the Shadow for a 14 day Caribbean cruise in early December,  Yesterday, the booking window (for restaurant reservations) opened at the 120 day mark.  But looking on the web site, it shows Le Dame "Unavailable" for the entire cruise.  Is that normal?

Hank

Hi Hank.  We are having the exact same problem on our 8th December 2024 Silver Whisper cruise: La Dame is NOT available for the entire 14 night voyage.  Restaurant reservations just opened today so it makes no sense that La Dame is fully booked on each and every night.  Something is up - my guess (and it only a guess) is that the new more expensive La Dame product (offered on Silver Nova and Silver Ray) will be introduced on to the other ships and La Dame will become available, at increased pricing, at a later date.   Stay tuned.

I posted a separate topic on the Boards, lets stay in touch.

• Thanks 1

According to the Venetian rep, the dry dock in Nov will be mostly mechanical with probably nothing for the hotel side - not that it's needed, as far as I can see the hotel side is just fine.

I can see that the hull definitely needs cleaning.

La Dame was fully booked from the minute restaurants were available on my Whisper cruise in January – but we were able to get in onboard.  Wish we hadn't bothered, but that's a different story...

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Problems Booking La Dame
2 hours ago, jjs217 said:

There is another thread talking about this issue.  It sounds like other ships are having the same problem - whatever that problem may be.

threads merged

Posted (edited)

Hmm.  We did not have this problem for our cruise on the Moon in Sept.  When reservations opened everything was open.  La Dame and La Terrazza  is still available most nights.

Edited by Winemaker_1

I just got off the phone with Silversea Customer Service (EU/UK) and the agent provided the following explanation.

Some passengers have been making multiple reservations for La Dame and not showing up once onboard - this approach has blocked La Dame availability and has now become unmanageable with many passengers being needlessly blocked from reserving at La Dame.  To address this situation, only a small number of La Dame seats may become available at mysilversea.com closer in to the sailing date (timeline undefined) and, going forward, reservations for La Dame can be confirmed on board.  It is unclear if this new approach applies to all voyages on all ships; the agent also said that the same procedure is in affect for Silver Note on some voyages.  

Not a great explanation, and an explanation that does make me happy, but I have heard that many passengers have been ""abusing"" the online reservation systems: the agent did say that this change only affects the ""smaller"" restaurants and/or ""revenue"" restaurants on some ships and some voyages.  La Dame and Silver Note are also affected.

I am asking our TA to investigate further.  Like so many things, those who follow procedures get penalized as a result of those who abuse procedures.....   I will follow up and see if there is any way around this new unsatisfactory change of procedure.

Easy solution. Charge for every booking .... irrespective of attendance. Some time ago there was a poster who admitted they booked as much as they could .... on the off chance as they wouldn't  know what they fancied until they were on board 👎👎

6 hours ago, LAL Cruiser said:

Some passengers have been making multiple reservations for La Dame and not showing up once onboard - this approach has blocked La Dame availability and has now become unmanageable with many passengers being needlessly blocked from reserving at La Dame. 

This explanation is puzzling to me. I distinctly recall notices on the ship that La Dame reservations had to be canceled by 2 PM on the day of intended service or the suite would be charged the cover charge.

3 minutes ago, Observer said:

This explanation is puzzling to me. I distinctly recall notices on the ship that La Dame reservations had to be canceled by 2 PM on the day of intended service or the suite would be charged the cover charge.

I totally agree, the entire situation makes absolutely no sense to me and I have emailed Silversea Customer service: they responded by telling me that they are reaching out to the ship to see what can be done.  (Doesnt the ship follow what the corporate office directs?)  I also called by TA and she will try to do something but she was also puzzled by all of this.

Posted (edited)

According to the HD on the Shadow with whom I dined yesterday, during the dry dock in November there will be some relatively minor structural changes to La Dame with reconfiguring of the tables and a small increase in the number of them. 
This is probably why SS are not taking advance bookings and waiting until it is done. 
But I’ve no idea why there’s a problem with the Whisper. 

BTW, he also said there will be a group on the Dec 3rd cruise - about 60 pax, dunno who. 

Edited by jollyjones
  • Thanks 1

On my upcoming September cruise on the Nova, La Dame is available on every single night. My guess is the $160 upcharge that is causing people to have second thoughts booking multiple nights.

19 hours ago, jollyjones said:. 

BTW, he also said there will be a group on the Dec 3rd cruise - about 60 pax, dunno who. 

I wish I had not seen this, just have to hope for the best.

As regards the increase in number of tables, I gave up when they increased to the current number.

Just checked my Silver Shadow 12/17 sailing. Dining reservations opened this evening but as with others on Shadow I cannot book La Dame. Keep getting the below error no matter which of the three time slots I try. Definitely seems they are blocking pre-booking, most likely due to whatever work is being done in dry dock. My guess is to mitigate issues with cancelled res and irate pax if the venue does not reopen as planned. 

Notice it says “not available” but lists the three time slots and the cost, but when you try and book rather than confirming or waitlisting it gives an error. 

IMG_0435.jpeg

IMG_0434.jpeg

It seems that this La Dame problem is showing up on many voyages lately.  There are additional reports on the Silversea group online chat site.  Something is up and I think (as stated before) that pricing of La Dame will change soon - look for the $160 pp price now charged on Nova and Ray to spread to the other ships.  

I contacted Guest Relations at Silversea concerning the problem and was advised that reservations for La Dame could open up on mysilversea.com closer to departure date - we shall see.  In the meantime, the Guest Relations Agent (who was very nice and cooperative) sent our La Dame reservation requests to the Restaurant Manager on the ship (we are on Silver Whisper) and then confirmed in writing that we will be accommodated at La Dame for the dates advised.  

I will keep everyone updated.

Posted (edited)

Silversea should drop the surcharge and limit passengers to one booking per cruise up front. Regent does that and while that has its own challenges, nobody is booking a specialty restaurant every night then showing up just once. They can then charge you once you’ve dined, if the charge is that important, or just add $60 to everyone’s fare and call it even. I think Crystal gives you one free specialty restaurant per cruise, with an upcharge for other visits. 

Edited by CruiserFromMaine

Alternatively, Silversea should also treat restaurant reservations on its cruises like any high end establishment on land. Part of the T&Cs should be a charge will occur if there is a no show after a set period of time. Any guest wanting to dine at La Dame on that same night will open up on a first come first serve basis.

This should be fairer for anyone concerned.

Of course, they could also implement the $160/pp charge at La Dame like what is implemented on the Nova and Ray. 

Just my 2 cents.

2 hours ago, agape01 said:

Alternatively, Silversea should also treat restaurant reservations on its cruises like any high end establishment on land. Part of the T&Cs should be a charge will occur if there is a no show after a set period of time. Any guest wanting to dine at La Dame on that same night will open up on a first come first serve basis.

This should be fairer for anyone concerned.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm pretty sure this condition already exists.