If you add Plus or Premier in the personalizer, when do you pay?

lstone19

We currently have a cruise booked for early 2025 with no package added. If I add Plus or Premier in the personalizer rather than having my travel agent do it, when do I pay for it - right away or at final payment?

It becomes part of the fare. You pay at the time of final payment.

You can also add once aboard on boarding day. Same cost, you don't have to pay the insurance and the costs will net against any OBC.

I know it can be added on board (at which point you've lost some benefits of it such as free shipping of medallions). The main reason to do so now is to guard against a price increase. From a money standpoint, Plus is marginal to a money loser for us but it changes the psychology of ordering another drink or going to Alfredo's.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, skynight said:

It becomes part of the fare. You pay at the time of final payment.

You can also add once aboard on boarding day. Same cost, you don't have to pay the insurance and the costs will net against any OBC.

Huh... I guess I learned something new here. I was under the impression that for an already booked cruise, you pay immediately for anything added after the fact.  (Full disclosure...I've never done this so IDK!)

25 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Huh... I guess I learned something new here. I was under the impression that for an already booked cruise, you pay immediately for anything added after the fact.  (Full disclosure...I've never done this so IDK!)

Nope.  Unlike Specialty Dining or Excursions, it just increases your fare. So if your balance was showing as $2,500 and you add the Plus Package for 2 people for a 7 day cruise, you will instantly see your outstanding balance show as $3,340 and you pay that down as you wish up until final payment day. 

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

Nope.  Unlike Specialty Dining or Excursions, it just increases your fare. So if your balance was showing as $2,500 and you add the Plus Package for 2 people for a 7 day cruise, you will instantly see your outstanding balance show as $3,340 and you pay that down as you wish up until final payment day. 

OK...good to know!  I've never run into it because I have always booked a package at the same time as booking the cruise.

29 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

If it was me I would just call my TA and ask them to add the package. 

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

OK...good to know!  I've never run into it because I have always booked a package at the same time as booking the cruise.

Since it is impossible to book a package for Guest #3 at the time of booking, we always add the package after the fact by phone or Chat and it shows up in our balance in an instant.  

36 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have Standard fare for my March 2025 TA.

I clicked bundles

add Plus

Only option was to

pay Now.

Did not do it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

That is how it worked for us too.  Had to pay immediately or it wouldn't work.

I only bought it twice and don’t drink much at all. I would just wait to purchase it on ship with OBC, if we changed our minds.

When I recently added Plus to my booked cruise, the website wanted me to pay immediately.  I called the Princess number and luckily got a competent person who was able to add it with the price added to my fare.

• Like 1

When I’ve added it from the app, I pay right away with a credit card. I’ve upgraded from Plus to Premier through my TA and it was added to my final payment. So it depends on if you upgrade through the app or your TA. Either way your TA gets the credit for it. If you call the 800 # to add it and you have a TA, they will refer you to your TA. I know this from first hand experience.

25 minutes ago, coopco said:

When I’ve added it from the app, I pay right away with a credit card. I’ve upgraded from Plus to Premier through my TA and it was added to my final payment. So it depends on if you upgrade through the app or your TA. Either way your TA gets the credit for it. If you call the 800 # to add it and you have a TA, they will refer you to your TA. I know this from first hand experience.

Yep...anything that will affect your total fare price will be referred to your TA if you booked with one.  Anything else (water packages, excursions, etc.) you will pay right away.