First Oceania cruise

NJ Gal

4 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If you love almond croissants, the price of a NCL Haven cruise is worth it if for nothing other than their almond croissants.  Available every day as @Sthrngary wrote.

AlmondCroissants.thumb.JPG.860f2f63fc8821cefb0ddac391c0fc19.JPG

@Daniel A Hello my precious.  I miss you.  Daddy really misses you.  I will come and visit again one day soon.  Thank you for the memories. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Haha 2

On 8/6/2024 at 9:03 AM, MEFIowa said:

Just start searching the plethora of threads here. Sure most of your thoughts/questions are already answered.

And when you board, STUDY your CURRENTS, the daily newspaper provided each evening, very carefully, for it will tell you what all is happening where and when the next day.

Is there a way to see a copy of one for the Sirena? We will be on our first Cruise January 4 and I wanted to see a general guide to evening entertainment so I know when to book dinner

9 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

... We will be on our first Cruise January 4 and I wanted to see a general guide to evening entertainment so I know when to book dinner

For our 40 nights so far on Riviera & Sirena since 12/2021, the evening main entertainment started at 2130. Only a couple exceptions. Remember one evening the comic did a show at 1730 and the crowd came thundering out like a herd of elephants to get to the 1830 dinner time. You didn't want to be in the way of that mass of people!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Is there a way to see a copy of one for the Sirena? We will be on our first Cruise January 4 and I wanted to see a general guide to evening entertainment so I know when to book dinner

The only dinners you'll need to book are your specialty restaurants. Any shows or entertainment in a past Currents won't be germane to your sailing. Other than the specialty restaurants you go to dinner whenever you prefer, as long as the restaurant is open. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

See if you can find a roll call for Sirena and ask if somebody could post the info you're looking for.  Let them know it's your first cruise and when you leave.  That may get you somewhere.

This cruise sailed today:  August 10 - 28, 2024 Gems of Norway and Scotland - Sirena Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

This is the next one after that:  August 10 - 28, 2024 Gems of Norway and Scotland - Sirena Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

See if you can find a roll call for Sirena and ask if somebody could post the info you're looking for.  Let them know it's your first cruise and when you leave.  That may get you somewhere.

This cruise sailed today:  August 10 - 28, 2024 Gems of Norway and Scotland - Sirena Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

This is the next one after that:  August 10 - 28, 2024 Gems of Norway and Scotland - Sirena Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

Thanks that’s a helpful suggestion

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

That's the start of our 22-night B2B on Sirena in the Baltic. Then she goes from Stockholm to Copenhagen.

I actually noticed you were on that roll call.  Do you think you could help out @yogagal47 ?  She doesn't sail until January and wants to see some Currents so she can pick her dinner times in advance.  I presume she's looking to book her specialty dining times.  Thanx.

I already did try to help her. The main evening entertainment is usually at 2130. Every night. And there are only "reservations" for the 2 specialty restaurants on Sirena. The PH and above go first for reservations in advance. Then the A concierge. Followed by the G-B. IF she wants to get to the show at 2130, she'd be trying to make her reservations for 6:30 or 7:30. And she'd finish her meals in the TC or GDR or Waves by say 2100.

ORV pointed this out to her a few days back, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2024 at 10:09 AM, GrammieK said:

you are in for a treat!  A butler can really help in many ways. They can provide specialty restaurant meals in your cabin (with some notice),

We are getting two complimentary specialty dining availabilities.  If we were to request an in-suite dinner from Polo Grill, would we be able to use our complimentary booking for Polo for the in-suite experience?  

The Butler served en suite dinner from a Specialty restaurant does not count against your Specialty allocation. Also your Specialty allocation is not effected should you pick up a reservation on Embarkation Day based on there being availability in any of the Specialty restaurants. Stop bye the Reservation Desk when you board to pick up a reservation for that first night.

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We are getting two complimentary specialty dining availabilities.  If we were to request an in-suite dinner from Polo Grill, would we be able to use our complimentary booking for Polo for the in-suite experience?  

You get 2 "guaranteed" specialty dining availabilities.  I put that in quotes, but have never had an issue, but I also sailed during COVID, so I can imagine there could be an exception.  Additional meals that you are able to obtain, either en-suite when you have a butler, or additional openings in the restaurant, still have no charge.  I have never had a butler, so can't comment on availability of getting a meal en-suite, but I have been able to get additional reservations at times beyone the 2 on the smaller ships.  

I did NOT know about the embarkation day, I appreciate you sharing that, mauibabes!

• Like 2

I'm no expert, with but one O cruise under my belt, but ... we sailed last year.   

a) others had different experiences, but we never could get good wifi.   Even when having a coffee.   We watched others FaceTime, while we never could.   Hopefully that is a one off -- or they improved the link capacity since then given all the starlink services going onboard cruise ships these days.

b) we enjoyed the specialty dining - esp red ginger.   You can check in with the maitre de and if there is an opening they will fit you in.   

c) my wife loved it.   

will sail O again.  definitely!   I'm sure you will love it.

PS.  I had the best room in the boat, because my DW was there!  but more seriously - we had a balcony (the level below concierge).  It was quite adequate 😛.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

The 2 specialty guaranteed reservations are for eating in the restaurant and have no effect on dining in-suite (if you are in a PH suite or higher),  You can have in-suite dining as often as you want from either of the specialty restaurants (in a PH suite or higher served by your butler) You also can request additional reservations for dining in the specialty restaurants and, if available, are also no charge.   There is no charge for dining in the specialty restaurants for anyone at any time.  There are a few specialty wine paring dinners that are held each cruise which do have an additional charge.  They are held in a small private dining room onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, basor said:

The 2 specialty guaranteed reservations are for eating in the restaurant and have no effect on dining in-suite (if you are in a PH suite or higher),  You can have in-suite dining as often as you want from either of the specialty restaurants (in a PH suite or higher served by your butler) You also can request additional reservations for dining in the specialty restaurants and, if available, are also no charge.   There is no charge for dining in the specialty restaurants for anyone at any time.  There are a few specialty wine paring dinners that are held each cruise which do have an additional charge.  They are held in a small private dining room onboard.

Am I to understand that there is not an upcharge/cover charge for dining in Polo or Toscana (after using up the guaranteed reservations that came with the booking)?  Does this mean having the butler serve dinner from Polo in our suite does not come at an additional charge?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Am I to understand that there is not an upcharge/cover charge for dining in Polo or Toscana (after using up the guaranteed reservations that came with the booking)?  Does this mean having the butler serve dinner from Polo in our suite does not come at an additional charge?

Correct. If you are able to get additional reservations it is also no additional charge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I already did try to help her. The main evening entertainment is usually at 2130. Every night. And there are only "reservations" for the 2 specialty restaurants on Sirena. The PH and above go first for reservations in advance. Then the A concierge. Followed by the G-B. IF she wants to get to the show at 2130, she'd be trying to make her reservations for 6:30 or 7:30. And she'd finish her meals in the TC or GDR or Waves by say 2100.

ORV pointed this out to her a few days back, too.

Thank you-I’ve got the date on my calendar for when I can book specialty reservations, and I will definitely try to make a few for our 18 night cruise. Thanks to everyone for helping out. We are looking forward to trying Oceania for the first time. we have previously cruised as Amira and the two are often compared.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 90scruzer said:

I'm no expert, with but one O cruise under my belt, but ... we sailed last year.   

a) others had different experiences, but we never could get good wifi.   Even when having a coffee.   We watched others FaceTime, while we never could.   Hopefully that is a one off -- or they improved the link capacity since then given all the starlink services going onboard cruise ships these days.

b) we enjoyed the specialty dining - esp red ginger.   You can check in with the maitre de and if there is an opening they will fit you in.   

c) my wife loved it.   

will sail O again.  definitely!   I'm sure you will love it.

PS.  I had the best room in the boat, because my DW was there!  but more seriously - we had a balcony (the level below concierge).  It was quite adequate 😛.

It’s nice to see your positive feedback after your first cruise with Oceania. we have a guaranteed Concierge cabin so we are hoping for a decent Location, but we might have to wait until embarkation day to find out where we are actually assigned.

• Like 1

@Daniel A Now you see the comparisons based on other brands and categories be both have cruised. Your questions were my questions before I sailed.  A couple of clarifications based on both our past experiences:

Making your initial Specialty Restaurant Reservations:  Go on line, to the specially restaurant reservation section and see the earliest you can make your reservations to get the date and time you want. Just because we all have one guaranteed reservation for each specialty restaurant it does not mean the restaurant won't fill up quick. 

Embarkment Day:  That hint from an above poster is dead on.  For what ever reason, the first night has open reservations.  This added to Penthouse and above have access to earlier boarding then other staterooms, snag that reservation before you do anything else.  

Penthouse and Above Butler Service:  Your example is polo grill.  As nice as eating in you suite is, it is always a better experience in the restaurant.  Try it once and let us know your feelings.  

Coffee for Breakfast:  May I suggest if you like coffee to get a cup from the Barista then go to breakfast.  Much better coffee at the Barista and not dining venue has an issue with that. 

Realistic Expectations:  Just because a guest is in a Penthouse or above, does not guaranteed they will get a restaurant reservation the day and time they want once they get on the ship.  Their odds are higher but know that it does not always happen.  The higher the category of suite, the higher the chances.  I know this because I had a very interesting conversation with my butler off the record. Nothing new about this benefit.  All that said, this system is SO much better then I was was used to in the past. 

Outdoor Spa Sundeck in the Front of the Ship:  Not sure the ship you are on but the bigger ones have this area which is complementary to Penthouse and above.  Bring your own drink, this area is my favorite place on the ship on a nice day. 

Complementary Laundry Service/Pressing:  There are rules and time frames.  Don't miss out.  Ask your butler and take FULL advantage of this great amenity.  This is for Concierge level and above and with Concierge level it is done by room steward. 

Since this is your first venture into Oceania, I will attach a document I wrote.  FAQ for Oceania. Some of the items may have changed with Oceania when to the "Simply More" program.  However, the main content should be interesting, Enjoy. 

Oceania_Cruises_FAQ.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

... Outdoor Spa Sundeck in the Front of the Ship:  Not sure the ship you are on but the bigger ones have this area which is complementary to Penthouse and above.  Bring your own drink, this area is my favorite place on the ship on a nice day....

Complimentary for the Concierge cabins, too. Enjoyed the big "T-shaped" therapy pool there on Riviera in the early evenings after coming back from excursions while wife was getting ready for dinner. We were in an A3 Concierge. (Marina doesn't have this bigger pool.)

All 4 smaller R-class ships also have this area. See the deck plans. Called "Aquamar Spa Terrace". They have the smaller round hot tub like around the pool.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

It’s nice to see your positive feedback after your first cruise with Oceania. we have a guaranteed Concierge cabin so we are hoping for a decent Location, but we might have to wait until embarkation day to find out where we are actually assigned.

Which ship are you on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@Daniel A Now you see the comparisons based on other brands and categories be both have cruised. Your questions were my questions before I sailed.  A couple of clarifications based on both our past experiences:

Making your initial Specialty Restaurant Reservations:  Go on line, to the specially restaurant reservation section and see the earliest you can make your reservations to get the date and time you want. Just because we all have one guaranteed reservation for each specialty restaurant it does not mean the restaurant won't fill up quick. 

Embarkment Day:  That hint from an above poster is dead on.  For what ever reason, the first night has open reservations.  This added to Penthouse and above have access to earlier boarding then other staterooms, snag that reservation before you do anything else.  

Penthouse and Above Butler Service:  Your example is polo grill.  As nice as eating in you suite is, it is always a better experience in the restaurant.  Try it once and let us know your feelings.  

Coffee for Breakfast:  May I suggest if you like coffee to get a cup from the Barista then go to breakfast.  Much better coffee at the Barista and not dining venue has an issue with that. 

Realistic Expectations:  Just because a guest is in a Penthouse or above, does not guaranteed they will get a restaurant reservation the day and time they want once they get on the ship.  Their odds are higher but know that it does not always happen.  The higher the category of suite, the higher the chances.  I know this because I had a very interesting conversation with my butler off the record. Nothing new about this benefit.  All that said, this system is SO much better then I was was used to in the past. 

Outdoor Spa Sundeck in the Front of the Ship:  Not sure the ship you are on but the bigger ones have this area which is complementary to Penthouse and above.  Bring your own drink, this area is my favorite place on the ship on a nice day. 

Complementary Laundry Service/Pressing:  There are rules and time frames.  Don't miss out.  Ask your butler and take FULL advantage of this great amenity.  This is for Concierge level and above and with Concierge level it is done by room steward. 

Since this is your first venture into Oceania, I will attach a document I wrote.  FAQ for Oceania. Some of the items may have changed with Oceania when to the "Simply More" program.  However, the main content should be interesting, Enjoy. 

Oceania_Cruises_FAQ.pdf 378.47 kB · 285 downloads

Thank you.  DW has a lot of reading to do this afternoon...😁 

• Haha 1

Specialty Reservations, whatever date yours open for booking, that means roughly 12:01 a.m. EST for you. Sometimes it isn’t exactly 12:01 but very close as we have been hung up getting to the booking site exactly at midnight EST.  If you wait until your normal wake up time that day, you will have missed some opportunities. If you can be flexible on table size and time, restaurants open at 6:30 p.m., you can be more successful, also whether you are willing to share a table with other guests can be of benefit. Like I said before, don’t waste a reservation on the first night. 
In a PH you are reserving 75 days ahead of sailing so the only people who can book ahead of you are in the Super Suites; Owners, Vista and Oceania Suites. Your opportunities abound 👍🤪🤞. You should have no problem getting your allocation of Specialties and then some, your Butler has “Friends” and they know their success means better gratuities in the end 😇👍. Since you will meet many veteran O cruisers on board, normal is 60% Repeaters, you never know who might invite you to dinner. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Specialty Reservations.... You should have no problem getting your allocation of Specialties and then some, your Butler has “Friends” and they know their success means better gratuities in the end

Though an implication here is that what the "your Butler has Friends" provides comes at the expense of the G-B cabin passengers. I fail to see much positive if one class gets to screw over another contra the rules on reservations. No problem with them getting up front what is per the rules, but not if the rules are violated to favor them. And it must be why we're reading about "tips" paid to staff to reserve pool lounges/chaises in violation of O's published claims to the contrary, forbidden such reservations.

• Like 1