Extra Charges In Main Dining Room?

ahahn078

Hello! Will be on MSC Meraviglia in early February of next year out of Brooklyn, USA.

Is there an extra charge for ordering any additional entrees, appetizers, or desserts in the main dining room?

I watched a few youtube videos - my understanding from them is extra appetizers are no charge, extra entrees are $5 each (but some have reported not being charged?)

• Like 1

The print on the menu says there is a $5 charge for an extra entree. However, anecdotal reports have said that some individuals who order extra entrees have not been charged. I would plan on paying the extra $5 and just be pleasantly surprised if you don't actually have to. Appetizers and desserts are unlimited.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On U.S sailings the menu says there is a $5 charge for second or more entrees.  Not sure of the exact wording, and no one here has verified if it's $5 for each entree after first or a one time $5 for anything after first.  You can order the pasta or risotto, and presumably the salad that is offered as an entree as a starter in addition to your entree without incurring the charge.  Same is true for any of the pastas that are in the always available section of the menu.  Experience has been that ordering as a starter still results in a full portion size.
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2024 at 11:06 AM, JamieLogical said:

The print on the menu says there is a $5 charge for an extra entree. However, anecdotal reports have said that some individuals who order extra entrees have not been charged. I would plan on paying the extra $5 and just be pleasantly surprised if you don't actually have to. Appetizers and desserts are unlimited.

This is exactly what happened to me.  On formal night, I ordered the filet and the lobster with the full expectation that I would be charged $5. To my surprise, I never was

Posted (edited)

We were on Magnifica, different ship,  the week of July 22 and we ordered more than one appetizer each, one entree, and one dessert and there was no extra charge. You can order extra apps and desserts without a problem.

Edited by Tropicale

58 minutes ago, blordos said:

We were on the MSC World Europa last month and there was no charge for the second entree. We didn't try the third entrees 😄

Currently the extra charge is on,y on US based cruises.  EM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2024 at 9:35 AM, ahahn078 said:

Hello! Will be on MSC Meraviglia in early February of next year out of Brooklyn, USA.

Is there an extra charge for ordering any additional entrees, appetizers, or desserts in the main dining room?

I am a man that can eat like the best of them. I sailed on the Meraviglia a couple months ago. It's $5 per extra entree, and free unlimited appetizers and desserts, like others have said. As a man that can eat loads of food, I was planning on paying the extra $5 each night. I never needed to. Between the brunch earlier in the day, the pizza on the pool deck & buffet, and the other snacking I did, I never had room for a second entree. I did order several appetizers and several desserts each night.

YMMV, but I always left the MDR happily full, without paying anything extra.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I am a man that can eat like the best of them. I sailed on the Meraviglia a couple months ago. It's $5 per extra entree, and free unlimited appetizers and desserts, like others have said. As a man that can eat loads of food, I was planning on paying the extra $5 each night. I never needed to. Between the brunch earlier in the day, the pizza on the pool deck & buffet, and the other snacking I did, I never had room for a second entree. I did order several appetizers and several desserts each night.

YMMV, but I always left the MDR happily full, without paying anything extra.

I can better understand why MSC implemented this policy after my MDR experience on the Enchanted Princess last night. The two guys sitting next to us at dinner ordered four appetizers each and FIVE surf & turfs between the two of them. The eight-top directly behind them ordered less food than those two guys did!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I can better understand why MSC implemented this policy after my MDR experience on the Enchanted Princess last night. The two guys sitting next to us at dinner ordered four appetizers each and FIVE surf & turfs between the two of them. The eight-top directly behind them ordered less food than those two guys did!

giphy.gif

last year on Seaside in the buffet there was a man who took up a whole table with plates of smoked salmon - I'm not exaggerating, there were 15-20 plates of it.

Edited by MonsterJoe

In 2018 we took a family cruise, only our eldest grandson missed it, on Royal Caribbean.  At dinner on formal night our middle grandson who was 15 at the time asked the waiter what was the most lobster tails he had seen anyone eat.  The waiter said 13.  Our grandson proceeded to put away 15 of those little lobster tails.  Granted they were small but still that was severe over indulgences.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MonsterJoe said:

giphy.gif

last year on Seaside in the buffet there was a man who took up a whole table with plates of smoked salmon - I'm not exaggerating, there were 15-20 plates of it.

Oh, that was probably just my friend @megaphone84's husband. He is a business walrus who exclusively eats smoked tuna.