Seasick much??

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

but when someone claims that "everyone should take meds before and during every cruise", and "everyone will get seasick any time the seas are rough", I will be the first to disagree.

Then I'll be #2 behind you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

As far as I know, no one took any seasickness meds or had any nausea or other discomfort.

I know that 13 is not a representative number for statistics, but when someone claims that "everyone should take meds before and during every cruise", and "everyone will get seasick any time the seas are rough", I will be the first to disagree.

Me too. Spent almost 40 years at sea and never once used any seasickness remedy and was never seasick. Have experienced a number of storms on cruise ships and many significantly worse ones on cargo ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always chuckle at Dr. Googles disciples who tell people which drugs to take when they know zilch about that person's medical history, allergiesetc. 😁

As for getting seasick, I get the impression that a lot of people will talk themselves into it?

Like Heidi, I have never been seasick ...even in some appalling conditions. Seasickness was something you never even considered, and whatever the weather and conditions you just hot on with life ... you had a job to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2024 at 1:21 AM, rxnrn said:

Pharmacist here with many cruises under the belt. Bonine(meclizine) and ginger capsules(for queasy stomach) is all we use. When we first started cruising we would use Transderm Scop patch, but we felt worse wearing those due to the side effects(dry mouth, drowsiness, fatigue).  

Recently, we watched a TV police drama where the victim was somebody who was given Scopolamine (to both confuse and eventually knock them out).  While that show was tv fiction, the side-effects from Scopolamine (the active ingredient) in the Trans-Derm patches is that drug (and carries all those same warnings).  It also reminded me of an old friend, who used to work (part time) as a cruise ship physician on HAL ships.  At one dinner, he entertained the table with stories of Trans-derm Scop side effects, the most amusing being an elderly lady found wandering the corridors, late at night, completely nude!  She was halucinating and was found in a trance-like state.  Is this normal?  Of course not, but it is a known untoward effect.  To the best of our knowledge, those patches are not prescribed by physicians who work on cruise ships.

Many years ago, when we were still cruise newbies, DW and I both used those patches.  DW quickly discovered, that after a couple of days she could no longer read her book, due to blurry vision.  That was our first/last time experience with the patches :).

Hank

• Thanks 1

I do think some folks are just genetically less prone to seasickness.  My late father was in the navy during WWII so he loved the water and my mother never got seasick.  They spent a lot of their later years cruising everywhere and in all kinds and sizes of ships. i, on the other hand, easily got seasick, but have acclimated over years of cruising and it is no longer a problem nor do I take anything except ginger tablets in smaller motor boats during rougher weather.