Car Rental Drop Off In Port Canaveral

I'm a veteran cruiser but have never embarked from Port Canaveral,  We plan on a few days in Disney World and then driving to Port Canaveral to embark on the Disney Fantasy.  If anyone has any experience with dropping off a rental car (Hertz, in this case) in Port Canaveral and then catching a shuttle from the drop off to the cruise pier, I would appreciate any helpful tips.  Thank you.

None of the rental companies are directly in the port, and all require a shuttle. We have found that there is always space for a single rider without luggage to hop on the shuttle that is leaving. So, drop the family and luggage off at the port, and then return the rental car. If you have the entire family and luggage, you could be waiting in a long line, especially when there are multiple ships in port.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

None of the rental companies are directly in the port, and all require a shuttle. We have found that there is always space for a single rider without luggage to hop on the shuttle that is leaving. So, drop the family and luggage off at the port, and then return the rental car. If you have the entire family and luggage, you could be waiting in a long line, especially when there are multiple ships in port.

We've done this exact same thing but using Budget. My DH dropped off our extended family and luggage at the port...took the car back to the Budget location and was quickly back to the port to meet us. Couldn't have been easier.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

office for National/Alamo/Enterprise is 'in the port'

image.thumb.png.3579b2f4c986d42b67abfc8036b28c2d.png

but in the case of DCL, the office and the pier are on opposite sides of a draw bridge which does not allow foot traffic (no sidewalk) so a ride is required. It would be walkable from Terminals 1 or 3 (a bit long from 3)

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

office for National/Alamo/Enterprise is 'in the port'

image.thumb.png.3579b2f4c986d42b67abfc8036b28c2d.png

but in the case of DCL, the office and the pier are on opposite sides of a draw bridge which does not allow foot traffic (no sidewalk) so a ride is required. It would be walkable from Terminals 1 or 3 (a bit long from 3)

Agree - we're on port property on most weekends and we've actually seen people try to walk to the northside terminals pulling luggage. 🤦‍♀️ Terminal 1 is about 1/2 mile from the car rental office so not a terrible walk unless someone has mobility issues - but I wouldn't want to do it in this heat and I'd definitely drop off the luggage first. It's about a mile and a half to T-3.

• Like 1

As others said, drop your family at the port and then drop the car off at the rental office.  Wait for the shuttle, budget, enterprise and Alamo have one (from experience).  Don't bring your family and luggage, otherwise it may be difficult to get everyone back.

Side note, watch your rental bill at the end, especially if you are going to fill up gas near the rental office...budget charged me for gas, even though I filled up before drop off.   They said the car had a GPS and my gas station was to the rental office, so it thought I didn't fill up.

• Like 1