Burn the Floor replacing Donna Summer on Prima

1 hour ago, cheersforbeers said:

What’s the percentage of cruisers that cruise for entertainment?  We cruise to get away from everyday hassles !!!! 

What hassle?  Entertainment is part of the enjoyment of cruising.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cheersforbeers said:

What’s the percentage of cruisers that cruise for entertainment?  We cruise to get away from everyday hassles !!!! 

I cruise for enjoyment, and good entertainers are usually at the top of the list.  At this point, it is rare that we'll cruise to ports that we haven't already been to multiple times.  It is usually nice to get off the ship and do a bit of sightseeing but, to be honest (and some will - and have - violently disagree) if you've seen one glacier, you've seen them all.  Same for whales.  And beaches. And.....  It's still very enjoyable to see all of those, but I probably more look forward to spending more time with my favorite entertainers (ref: Siglo et al).

• Like 2

Just wait until next year when NCL realizes they can save even more money by just letting the passengers entertain each other and host karaoke and open mic comedy in the theatre each night. They might even be willing to throw in a free meal at one of their luxurious main dining rooms as a prize to the best performer each night.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, boffoboffo said:

host karaoke

Please no.  The last time I was exposed to NCL Karaoke (I was already in the OL and it started), I wound up having to find someplace else to drink.  There were two "singers" who thought they were rock stars and just kept making their move.  They weren't devoid of talent, just nothing special.  It's a great big mistake to give some people an audience.🤣

14 hours ago, cheersforbeers said:

Hassles of everyday life for us so far in 2024.  Major wildfire, drought to name a few!!!!!! 

Sorry.  Misunderstood you.  Thought you meant entertainment on a ship was a hassle.  Prayers that your problems are resolved.

Posted (edited)
On 8/9/2024 at 10:47 PM, luv2kroooz said:

When did your opinion change? You said you enjoyed it in 2023.

It is a story about her life from a young church choir girl to the pop star. Lots of very familiar music (some from the early days which are not as familiar). Donna Summer led a hard life from being abused as a young child to people taking advantage of her as she became famous. 

We have seen the show twice on the Prima and enjoy the vocals of all three Donna's (young, prime, and mature). We also found it interesting to see the cast hanging out together a lot of nights at the buffet. 

I enjoyed the show. We've seen it twice. But it is a very dark show of sexual abuse of a young child and the people who have taken advantage of Donna throughout her life. That was the focus of the show. It was not the expected upbeat disco show that many expected. And it was off-putting to some in the audience.

BTF or COM are more proven shows that are popular on NCL ships. People seem to like happy shows. Shows that are based on chanting about being murdered (SIX) come and go quickly. (BTW: I loved SIX, but again, it was off-putting to some and there were a lot of walk outs after the first 30 minutes of "Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Survived")

The vocals were outstanding (especially the actress in the first cast that played "young Donna"). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

Choir of Man is outstanding. Waiting to hit the 21 day mark to book it.

Speaking of which, we just became Platinum. We're cruising with cruise virgins. Will I be able to reserve the show online for all four of us (like reserving Specialty Dining)...or will they have to reserve their own? I'm sure @BirdTravelscan answer this one.

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

BTF or COM are more proven shows that are popular on NCL ships. People seem to like happy shows. 

I am not sure that is true.  People spend a lot of money on Broadway and in the West End to see a lot of shows with dark themes/elements to them - 

Les Mis, Phantom, Evita, Tina, West Side Story, Romeo and Juliet, Oliver, Beetlejuice, Annie.

Heck even the Lion King has its share of death.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Speaking of which, we just became Platinum. We're cruising with cruise virgins. Will I be able to reserve the show online for all four of us (like reserving Specialty Dining)...or will they have to reserve their own? I'm sure @BirdTravelscan answer this one.

I think this is the first time I have quoted myself on CC.

Anyway, the reservations just opened for Choir of Man. I was only able to reserve two seats. Our friends will need to do their own reservation. So I answered myself.

23 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

The shows are per person. So, each cabin needs to book their own shows. And if you're platinum, bookings "should" open 25 days prior to departure. 

22 hours ago, drew69 said:

I am not sure that is true.  People spend a lot of money on Broadway and in the West End to see a lot of shows with dark themes/elements to them - 

Les Mis, Phantom, Evita, Tina, West Side Story, Romeo and Juliet, Oliver, Beetlejuice, Annie.

Heck even the Lion King has its share of death.

All true. We are Broadway musical fans. And love all of the shows above (seen Phantom in 10 different cities, including the Her/His Majesty theater in the West End). But, cruisers are not necessarily the people who would pay to go to a musical. Beer and peeing on stage is what seems to popular with contemporary cruisers 🙂 

We sat front and center for SIX on the Breakaway and loved the show,,, at the time, the same tickets would have cost $400/ticket on Broadway. 

Admittedly, BTF (for us DWTS fans), COM, and Blue Man were some of our favorite cruise shows. We even like For the Record: Brat Pack Live (when it was in the Supper Club and when it installed in the main theater). We actually liked the Noise Boys which lasted one 6-month contract before being booted off the Prima.

All these shows are a significant change from traditional cruise ship entertainment with the not-so-funny comedians (still exist), the 3rd rate magicians with cards falling from their sleves, and the ventriloquist whose lips keep moving. 

"Just o.k." shows on the list are shows like Pricilla, After Midnight, Kinky Boots,,, all of which have come and gone. 

• Haha 1

I don't think its beer and peeing that makes Choir of Man popular with contemporary cruisers, its the soundtrack.  All the songs they sing the audience knows and wants to sing along.  Its what they grew up on.  Many other shows have original songs that the audience does not know and those songs are written to tell a story or further the plot in the show.  Choir of Man uses pop favorites to tell their story inside the script of the show.

Its a basic yet clever creation but very successful. 

• Like 3

On 8/21/2024 at 2:00 AM, david_sobe said:

I don't think its beer and peeing that makes Choir of Man popular with contemporary cruisers, its the soundtrack.  All the songs they sing the audience knows and wants to sing along.  Its what they grew up on.  Many other shows have original songs that the audience does not know and those songs are written to tell a story or further the plot in the show.  Choir of Man uses pop favorites to tell their story inside the script of the show.

Its a basic yet clever creation but very successful. 

Yep.  Many of us would rather listen to good music than 💩.  I've seen choir of man numerous times and never noticed the peeing on stage.  Was I that drunk?  Was I the one peeing on stage?  I might not remember, but am darned certain that DW would be telling me about it.🦜

disclaimer: the guest appearance of the Norwegian Blue has nothing to do with this thread.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  Many of us would rather listen to good music than 💩.  I've seen choir of man numerous times and never noticed the peeing on stage.  Was I that drunk?  Was I the one peeing on stage?  I might not remember, but am darned certain that DW would be telling me about it.🦜

disclaimer: the guest appearance of the Norwegian Blue has nothing to do with this thread.

I think you were too drunk or maybe they edited your show 🙈

On 8/18/2024 at 11:32 AM, EllieinNJ said:

If NCL would hire some good non budget breaking acts like those from America's Got Talent (some other cruise lines do) and have entertainment every night (not game shows) it would be a little more palatable to lose the Broadway shows.

There has been several AGT performers on different ships. We saw Lord Nil on Jewel with his own show and as part of Elements. Joel Claudio was part of the Zambooka show on Epic. There were other danger acts incorporated into the Spiegel Tent shows on Breakaway and Getaway. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 6:04 AM, Beer Belly said:

The two shows I thoroughly enjoyed was Million Dollar Quartet and Chior of Man

It was pretty cool to sit having breakfast outside in St. Petersburg, Russia, and Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Jerry Lee Lewis sit next to me. Walking along a beach in Icy Strait Point and watching the leads from "Footloose" holding hands was also pretty nice. Personally, though, I'd rather see some really great original programming, like "Elements" on Joy. Celebrity Edge-class ships do it perfectly, with mainstage shows that are dazzling, with aerialists and acrobats and circus-type acts, and two separate casts that perform in two other small venues. The same is true of ships like Ovation/Quantum of the Seas, with two different theaters and innovative, original shows. Broadway tribute shows don't seem worth the licensing fees to me, especially for those who don't really care about Franky Valli or Donna Summer. Joy would seem much less joyful without "Footloose", though, so by saving money they lose a competitive advantage, just as a cutting-edge ship with mediocre entertainment like Prima would be disappointing to a lot of people. 

15 minutes ago, Goldenknight said:

Yes.

And the drummer's name is still Jun, not Juan, or John, or whatever.  

Yikes.  Didn't I tell you that you were right like a year ago?  Yes, it's Jun and I spoke with him several times last month.  I guess I don't understand this either.

• Thanks 1