Disney announces 4 new ships!

Fairsky84

At the D23 convention, Disney announced 4 additional ships would be added to the fleet between 2027 and 2031 bringing to total fleet to 13.

https://disneyparksblog.com/dcl/disney-cruise-line-announces-four-new-ships/

We don't know if these will be a new class or a continuation of the Wish-class ships from Meyer Werft. Here's the current list of DCL newbuilds:

Disney Treasure: Dec 2024
Disney Destiny: 2025

Disney Adventure: 2025

Unnamed New Ship 1: 2027
Unnamed New Ship 2: 2028 est
Unnamed (homeport in Tokyo): 2029
Unnamed New Ship 3: 2030 est

Unnamed New Ship 4: 2031 est

• Like 1

Sadly, I bet 2 of the four replace the Magic and Wonder.  There are stories that those names are in place for 2 of the new ships, which makes sense considering the age of the Magic and Wonder.

I also hope these aren't more copies of the Wish, and if they are a new class, I hope they have more qualified folks making design and layout decisions than they did for the Wish class.  I recall the head of the Wish Project bragging how they involved people who had never cruised or been on a ship before in the decision making process.  Yep, and it shows.

• Like 5

yeah, Magic & Wonder will likely be gone by 2031. So their fleet would be at 11 then. Adventure remains out of China/Singapore & Wish 2028 stays in Japan. Maybe Disney will homeport a ship out of Australia year-round by 2030? 2 ships out of Port Canaveral, 2 ships of out Fort Lauderdale, keep one ship out of California, another doing Alaska/Hawaii westcoast trips, one of Europe.

Speculation about the demise of the Magic and Wonder are premature.  Disney specifically said the fleet will be 13 ships total.  That means the firs two will still be with us.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jalves said:

Speculation about the demise of the Magic and Wonder are premature.  Disney specifically said the fleet will be 13 ships total.  That means the firs two will still be with us.  

Fleet departures are not generally announced more than a year in advance, if that long. If market conditions change, or if the ships are not economically viable to maintain in 2030 or 2031, Disney will get rid of them.

It certainly would be possible for Magic and Wonder to still be around in 2031, but it won't be because of a marketing announcement made in 2024.

Meyer Werft have just announced that they have signed the order for these 4 ships with Disney. It is not yet clear, thought presumably likely, that these will be further iterations of the Disney Wish.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0WY9djihTLifyD1f7dVxneK81MNvmVPH5Yoq82MHhFjWhwbSDFUCGfpG27LdNqjTkl&id=100069462906695

comment: Great to see Disney expanding but I didn’t personally feel Wish was their best ship. Obvious;y it may be something different. I was wondering if the experience and options from a larger ship like Disney Adventure might inspire new thinking. 

I don't see the Magic and the Wonder leaving the fleet until they are closer to 50 years old, but if they keep filling up the popular sailings, DCL could send them into drydock for a full rehab. Disney knows how to sell nostalgia, look at how many people line up to ride Dumbo. I could see DCL advertising, "my grandma bought me on the Magic back in 1997 and now in 2047, I'm bringing my grand kids to experience the Disney Magic". Cut to a scene of a little girl with mom and grandma in the Mickey pool. Next scene, that little girl as a mom with her mom (now grandma) taking her little girl to the pool. Then that little girl as a grandma taking her daughter and granddaughter to the pool.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2024 at 6:41 AM, Mattsudds said:

Meyer Werft have just announced that they have signed the order for these 4 ships with Disney. It is not yet clear, thought presumably likely, that these will be further iterations of the Disney Wish.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0WY9djihTLifyD1f7dVxneK81MNvmVPH5Yoq82MHhFjWhwbSDFUCGfpG27LdNqjTkl&id=100069462906695

comment: Great to see Disney expanding but I didn’t personally feel Wish was their best ship. Obvious;y it may be something different. I was wondering if the experience and options from a larger ship like Disney Adventure might inspire new thinking. 

Hope the shipyard can find an influx of cash so they can remain in business to build the ships

On 8/11/2024 at 12:10 AM, Fairsky84 said:

At the D23 convention, Disney announced 4 additional ships would be added to the fleet between 2027 and 2031 bringing to total fleet to 13.

https://disneyparksblog.com/dcl/disney-cruise-line-announces-four-new-ships/

We don't know if these will be a new class or a continuation of the Wish-class ships from Meyer Werft. Here's the current list of DCL newbuilds:

Disney Treasure: Dec 2024
Disney Destiny: 2025

Disney Adventure: 2025

Unnamed New Ship 1: 2027
Unnamed New Ship 2: 2028 est
Unnamed (homeport in Tokyo): 2029
Unnamed New Ship 3: 2030 est

Unnamed New Ship 4: 2031 est

Actually, they did announce the name of the four ships starting with

Disney Visa

Disney MasterCard

Disney American Express