Pier 88/90 at Manhattan for Carnival Venezia

I'll be sailing on Carnival Venezia in Oct 2024. How do I know which pier the ship will be embarking/debarking at? Does it matter (ie. are they just next to each other)?  On day of embarkation can I drop off my luggage with the porters at the pier early AM, then do some sightseeing (I want to see the Intrepid Museum next door) and then check in for the cruise?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, kj_connections said:

I'll be sailing on Carnival Venezia in Oct 2024. How do I know which pier the ship will be embarking/debarking at? Does it matter (ie. are they just next to each other)?  On day of embarkation can I drop off my luggage with the porters at the pier early AM, then do some sightseeing (I want to see the Intrepid Museum next door) and then check in for the cruise?

The two piers are next to each other. Pier 88 is at 12th Ave and 48th St, Pier 90 at 12th Ave and 50th St. It will be obvious. Looking at the port schedule it doesn't appear that any other ships are in port on days in October when Venezia is there, other than on October 4th.

You can drop off your luggage with the porters...but of course keep your carry on luggage with you. There isn't any luggage storage at the Intrepid Museum so you can't bring anything more than a very small carry on to the Intrepid.

Edited by njhorseman

2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The two piers are next to each other. Pier 88 is at 12th Ave and 48th St, Pier 90 at 12th Ave and 50th St. It will be obvious. Looking at the port schedule it doesn't appear that any other ships are in port on days in October when Venezia is there.

You can drop off your luggage with the porters...but of course keep your carry on luggage with you. There isn't any luggage storage at the Intrepid Museum so you can't bring anything more than a very small carry on to the Intrepid.

Thank you! And thanks for the info about the Intrepid...do you think a backpack would be allowed?  Or does it have to be a mini back pack or pouch?

3 minutes ago, kj_connections said:

Thank you! And thanks for the info about the Intrepid...do you think a backpack would be allowed?  Or does it have to be a mini back pack or pouch?

I think a backpack would be OK. 

BTW...the Intrepid opens at 10am, so you don't have to get to the cruise terminal very early.

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I think a backpack would be OK. 

BTW...the Intrepid opens at 10am, so you don't have to get to the cruise terminal very early.

Thanks. I was going to go to the cruise terminal around 930am...drop off my luggage and then walk over to the Intrepid for 10am 🙂

If you do a google search on luggage storage places, there is a website that I forget the name of right now that has local businesses that hold on to luggage for a fee. I know there is one a couple blocks south of the cruise terminals. Might be an option to drop off your checked luggage at the pier, go to this other location to hold your carryon, then go do the Intrepid, and pick up your carryon after and head to the cruise ship.

36 minutes ago, DanJ said:

If you do a google search on luggage storage places, there is a website that I forget the name of right now that has local businesses that hold on to luggage for a fee. I know there is one a couple blocks south of the cruise terminals. Might be an option to drop off your checked luggage at the pier, go to this other location to hold your carryon, then go do the Intrepid, and pick up your carryon after and head to the cruise ship.

27 minutes ago, DanJ said:

Stasher is the luggage storage site I'm thinking of. You can search on there for locations near wherever.

There are a number of such sites.

The places that do this are bodegas, liquor stores, dry cleaners and other small retail establishments.

I would never recommend that anyone use one of these services to store the types of valuables  that are going to be in their carry on.....passport, cruise tickets, prescription meds, jewelry, etc. 

• Like 3

I am sailing from Pier 88 in NYC.  Norwegian Breakaway is sailing from Pier 88 the same day as us in Oceania Insignia.  Does anyone have experience in Pier 88 when two different ships are sailing?  Are the passengers for both ships combined for security etc. or are we segregated from the moment we enter the terminal?  One of the reasons we booked a smaller cruise ship holding 670 passengers was so we wouldn't be facing long lines at embarkation.  Breakaway has close to 4,000 passengers.

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I am sailing from Pier 88 in NYC.  Norwegian Breakaway is sailing from Pier 88 the same day as us in Oceania Insignia.  Does anyone have experience in Pier 88 when two different ships are sailing?  Are the passengers for both ships combined for security etc. or are we segregated from the moment we enter the terminal?  One of the reasons we booked a smaller cruise ship holding 670 passengers was so we wouldn't be facing long lines at embarkation.  Breakaway has close to 4,000 passengers.

It's possible you'll be boarding at Pier 90 even if you've already been told you're boarding at 88.

Assuming you're boarding at 88 my recollection is that once you make it past security you'll be segregated...but it's been years since I've sailed from 88 when two ships are berthed there and procedures may have changed.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2024 at 10:33 AM, njhorseman said:

It's possible you'll be boarding at Pier 90 even if you've already been told you're boarding at 88.

Assuming you're boarding at 88 my recollection is that once you make it past security you'll be segregated...but it's been years since I've sailed from 88 when two ships are berthed there and procedures may have changed.

Do you know if Manhattan Cruise Terminal has Global Entry?

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Do you know if Manhattan Cruise Terminal has Global Entry?

No.

They use biometric facial recognition  for disembarking passengers. The same is true at all major cruise ports now. I'm not sure they bother with Global Entry anywhere since they started using facial recognition.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2024 at 10:33 AM, njhorseman said:

You certainly know what you're saying, I just got an email saying we've been moved over to Pier 90.  👍 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, based on my experience boarding Venezia at 88 2 weeks ago, they wouldn't put another ship in 88 as well. That might work with a couple smaller ships but not with the larger ships now. Not just with people but the logistics down on the dock between luggage movement and supplies being brought in. The day we boarded Venezia, there was a smaller ship over at 90 (can't remember who, want to say Seaborne. We did see Insignia sailing by us in Bermuda)

On 8/15/2024 at 7:33 PM, njhorseman said:

No.

They use biometric facial recognition  for disembarking passengers. The same is true at all major cruise ports now. I'm not sure they bother with Global Entry anywhere since they started using facial recognition.

Our ship docks at 6 am on Nov 23 (Saturday) do you think it's possible to make an 11 am flight out of Newark?

10 hours ago, Bat girl said:

Our ship docks at 6 am on Nov 23 (Saturday) do you think it's possible to make an 11 am flight out of Newark?

Its possible. If you arrive on time at 6 the ship most likely won't be cleared til 7. Let's say you self disembark carrying your luggage best case scenario is you are curbside and in a car by 7:45-8. Newark Airport with zero traffic is 30 minutes from Manhattan Cruise Terminal. 

If the ship is late or if there is an immigration issue then you can be in a bit of a pickle. The cruise line will generally guarantee you a noon departure from Newark using their bus transfers so you aren't too far off that. You'll need to use private transfers to do it though. 

• Like 1