Ellis Island Museum NY

tring

Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me if the Ellis Island Museum only relates to arrivals to there?  I have ancestors who went through immigration at Clinton Castle about twenty years or so before Ellis Island was first used, so are wondering if there is anything relating to that era in that museum.

Edited by tring

Regardless, a visit to Ellis Island would be informative:

Ellis Island | Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

Plan Your Visit - Ellis Island Part of Statue of Liberty National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

What is especially interesting is the 90-minute Hard Hat tour on Ellis Island where you get inside the immigrant barracks, etc. 

Search Result - City Experiences™

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 6:51 PM, mcmomny said:

https://www.statueofliberty.org/ellis-island/overview-history/

Sounds like records from Clinton Castle were moved to Ellis Island but there was a fire in 1897 that destroyed many records.

I do have the record of their arrival in NY in Sept 1869 from Ancestry.  Yes I seem to remember the records of all arrivals can be searched in Ellis Island, but I would just get the same details.  I do have more details of the ship they went over on (The New World) from the Liverpool Maritime Museum Archives.  That museum a a short distance from home for us.

On 8/13/2024 at 12:38 PM, TMLAalum said:

Regardless, a visit to Ellis Island would be informative:

Ellis Island | Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

Plan Your Visit - Ellis Island Part of Statue of Liberty National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

What is especially interesting is the 90-minute Hard Hat tour on Ellis Island where you get inside the immigrant barracks, etc. 

Search Result - City Experiences™

I had these details from last year, when we also went over there, but see the departure point for the ferry has now moved further south, by The View restaurant at The Battery.  Does anyone know if there are toilets by the new, temporary ferry terminal, or if we could just have a drink in the restaurant, if we arrive mid morning?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tring said:

I do have the record of their arrival in NY in Sept 1869 from Ancestry.  Yes I seem to remember the records of all arrivals can be searched in Ellis Island, but I would just get the same details.  I do have more details of the ship they went over on (The New World) from the Liverpool Maritime Museum Archives.  That museum a a short distance from home for us.

I had these details from last year, when we also went over there, but see the departure point for the ferry has now moved further south, by The View restaurant at The Battery.  Does anyone know if there are toilets by the new, temporary ferry terminal, or if we could just have a drink in the restaurant, if we arrive mid morning?

Am I reading correctly that you have visited Ellis Island previously? If so, IMO other than looking around to see the place where your relatives have been it’s not a place to get a lot of factual information about specific people. I ended up going to the National Archives in Washington where all the records are located and found a treasure trove of information. I also find the Ellis Island web site is somewhat useful but difficult to search.

Having said all of that if you have never been and have any interest in your family history, it is a must visit site.

Hope you have a great visit. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, zqvol said:

Am I reading correctly that you have visited Ellis Island previously? If so, IMO other than looking around to see the place where your relatives have been it’s not a place to get a lot of factual information about specific people. I ended up going to the National Archives in Washington where all the records are located and found a treasure trove of information. I also find the Ellis Island web site is somewhat useful but difficult to search.

Having said all of that if you have never been and have any interest in your family history, it is a must visit site.

Hope you have a great visit. 

Sorry I realise my post sounds confusing to most readers of this forum now, but we are sailing from the UK round trip and we did the same last year.  So what I meant was that we searched the details of the ferry etc. to Ellis Island then, but did other things in NY instead and did not visit Ellis Island last year.  My mention of "going over there" was referring to our trip over the Atlantic and back.  We are travelling on a very similar itinerary this year, so will spend another three days docked in Manhatten, so, yes, I think we should go to Ellis Island this time.

The personal details searchable on Ellis Island records are ones I already have from Ancestry as I have a worldwide membership with them.  I was able to look up my ancestors on the Ellis Island online records to check for that.  Would be interesting seeing pictures and any other general details about the immigration procedure though in Ellis Island, even if from a later era.  There were some details and pictures in Clinton Castle, which we saw last year, but there was very little there.

My great grandparents sailed to NY in 1869 from London and then settled in York, Ontario, (now part of Toronto), but had returned to Liverpool, UK by April 1871, which is why I am English.  From what mum had said she knew about their time there, I assume they returned because of the extreme cold in Canada.

I cannot find details of their journey back to the UK, nor anything regards my great, great, grandmother and her second husband's journey over to York, Ontario from Guernsey in the mid 1850's.  I do know some records had been destroyed though in a wartime fire in the UK, so looks like details for those required years will not be available anywhere.  I do not even know which North American ports were used for those journeys, though I assume my great grandparents returned to Liverpool as that is where they settled and remained.  I do have distant relatives in Canada as descendants of my great, great Grandmother and her second husband and have exchanged messages with one.  I have a number of records from Canada from when they lived over there.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1