What could Cunard name a hypothetical fifth ship?

Clewgarnet

A ship named QUEEN ELIZABETH II launched on Clydebank... you bet it was a mistake!!  Her Majesty was provided with a card btw to read for the christening "QUEEN ELIZABETH TWO" and she never looked at it.  It must be worth a small fortune if it survives.

But no... the name was as written on the ship QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 referring to the second ship named in the Cunard fleet and not directly related to the sovereign. 

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

A ship named QUEEN ELIZABETH II launched on Clydebank... you bet it was a mistake!!

I was only eleven and watched the launch on a "big" TV in the school library. But on the date of the launch there wasn't a single nationalist MP at Westminster.

We didn't think for a second she was named after anyone or anything else.

Things have changed of course. One of the reasons I would never go back.

• Like 1

I think you might want to read up a bit more about the christening and name controversy....

It was a source of considerable embarassment to Cunard and caused some measure of offence in Scotland. I still remember seeing letter boxes in Scotland with the "II" defaced.  Indeed, during the back and forth over the proposed name for Q4 naming her QUEEN ELIZABETH II was rejected early on for not wishing to cause offense in Scotland where, of course, there was no Queen Elizabeth (I) as sovereign.   And why Cunard thereafer was happy to use "QE2" thereafter.  

3 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I think you might want to read up a bit more about the christening and name controversy....

It was a source of considerable embarassment to Cunard and caused some measure of offence in Scotland. I still remember seeing letter boxes in Scotland with the "II" defaced.  Indeed, during the back and forth over the proposed name for Q4 naming her QUEEN ELIZABETH II was rejected early on for not wishing to cause offense in Scotland where, of course, there was no Queen Elizabeth (I) as sovereign.   And why Cunard thereafer was happy to use "QE2" thereafter.  

Yes, I do actually know all that, just as I know Brooklyn is one of New York’s five boroughs. Why assume ignorance on my part, or indeed that it was a mistake in the part of the Queen? As I say, look at her expression.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I really don't know what you are talking about. I followed every article in The Glasgow Herald, The Glasgow Evening Times and The Glasgow Evening Citizen in the years during the construction of Q4, her launch, the fitting out and eventual voyages. What you describe was never mentioned.

We didn't get Sunday papers, either because of my Fathers profession, or perhaps because the shops weren't open after he finished work on a Sunday.

I actually HAVE the special editions printed on 20 September 1967; Evening Times (broadsheet). Glasgow Herald and Citizen.

None of them knew what the name was to be. It was referred to as the Q4.

Neither did they know what exactly the ship would finally look like, as the designs were not complete. Instead we got "artist's impressions" of what the final design might be.

• Like 1

I hadn't been looking to start an argument 😯. Depending upon which history book you read some say the original Queen Elizabeth was named after our Tudor queen, others say it was named after the queen mother. QE2 was was the second ship to carry the name Elizabeth and as the original still existed had to have the 2 added to distinguish. The queen interpreted that as "queen Elizabeth second" however it appears Cunard had interpreted the name to be Queen Elizabeth Two / QE2  being named after the original Queen Elizabeth (ship) much the same as Queen Mary 2/ QM2 was named after the original Queen Mary.

The current Cunarder Queen Elizabeth pays tribute to the original Cunarder of that name, 

So my point still stands - a ship has not been named after Britain's longest monarch "Queen Elizabeth second".

4 hours ago, new to cuising said:

So my point still stands - a ship has not been named after Britain's longest monarch "Queen Elizabeth second".

I believe a ship has been named after Her Majesty Queen Elizabet II, HMS Queen Elizabeth the aircraft carrier not to be confused with the battleship HMS Queen Elizabeth built at Portsmouth launched 1913.

Regards John

• Like 1