Sassafras Melbourne dock

Has anyone been to Sassafras? It's about an hour from Melbourne. I can't seem to find any tours ship or other that visit this adorable little tourist trap. Thank you.

Sassafras is in the Dandenong hills above Melbourne, it is a popular day trip for Melbournians.

Maybe look for tours to the Dandenong's, which includes a number of villages up that way.

Mainly it a private car tour area, or was when I lived down there.

Maybe you could hire a car with someone. It is a lovely drive up and around that area.

Regards

Hi dianeh, we were there some time go, spent hours there looking and buying in the shops, mainly "her" lol  there are things you don't seem to see anywhere else, its an unreal little town, you could hire a car, nice drive 

We did a ship's shorex there and the Dandenongs a few years ago with Princess, I am not sure what other lines offer.

In any case, there are tour companies that offer it from the city, perhaps see if they can offer a private tour or a pick up from the cruise terminal.

https://www.visitmelbourne.com/regions/melbourne/see-and-do/tours/melbourne-elite-tours-pty-ltd/dandenong-ranges-day-tour

Posted (edited)

Yes, Sassafras is lovely. Also look at Olinda. Both are in the Dandenong Ranges (Note: usually called the Dandenongs. Do not confuse with Dandenong (no s) which is an ordinary outer suburb of Melbourne).

You can get there by public transport. Take the light rail from the cruise port into the city. Get off at Southern Cross train station. Take a train to the end of the line at Belgrave. Then take the 694 bus, which departs from the station car park.  You can pay for all of this with a MYKI card, a stored value card, which you will be able to buy at the cruise port.

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

If you get to Sassafras, look out for Miss Marple's Tearooms. They have the best scones, jam and cream. 

That sounds really interesting but as I don't live far from you by the bay, it's a long way to go now.  I used to live at Wheelers Hill and it was much easier to get there and I loved going up there.

It's also nice reading about Aussies here on cc, travelling up the north and south coast of Sydney and the beautiful areas there, as well as the north and south coast of Brisbane.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

If you get to Sassafras, look out for Miss Marple's Tearooms. They have the best scones, jam and cream. 

I used to live in Belgrave, Miss Marples is the most overrated place in the Dandenongs. It is the definition of "tourist trap". Last time I went past (years ago) there were lines of tourists waiting to get in.

If you do go to the Dandenongs, it is also worth doing a trip on Puffing Billy. This tour does both. https://luxuryescapes.com/au/experience/dandenong-ranges/rez:PAWB1E

39 minutes ago, yarramar said:

I used to live in Belgrave, Miss Marples is the most overrated place in the Dandenongs. It is the definition of "tourist trap". Last time I went past (years ago) there were lines of tourists waiting to get in.

If you do go to the Dandenongs, it is also worth doing a trip on Puffing Billy. This tour does both. https://luxuryescapes.com/au/experience/dandenong-ranges/rez:PAWB1E

It may be what you call a tourist trap but it is what people like to visit. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I think we will get a cab at the port and head into the hills. Any recommendations? Nervous because our ship will leave without us if we are late! 

It is an hour (around 50km) from Sassafras back to Station Pier. Allow an extra 30 minutes in case of traffic.

There is lots to do up there so you will need to plan your day. This will help. There are amazing views from Mount Dandenong acroos the city and Port Phillip Bay, you may even see your cruise ship. There is a restaurant called Sky High and the surrounding area where views are had as well as a lovely walk along the ridge, Kyeema track, where there is a memorial to the plane Kyeema which crashed into the mountain in the 1930's.

11 hours ago, dianeh said:

Thank you. How would you get there?

Personally, I would hire a car for the day. You could go with a regular company or a carshare such as Turo or Uber. 

I have done this on many cruise port days, In Portland ME I used Turo. The owner (a car dealership) met me at the port and again at the end of the day. It worked well and I was able to visit the beautiful Maine coastal townships where tours don't take you.

As long as you leave your final destination 1.5-2 hours before you need to be aboard, there should be no problems. Armed with a map and knowledge of your stops, DIY should be better than what is available commercially.