Upgrade bidding

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

But I guess because your friends tell you so, it must be.....

I didn’t really get the idea that the poster put a lot of faith in what their friend said. Notice he didn’t say he’s actually tried it himself. Like you said, it’s laughable, so probably told in humor. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I didn’t really get the idea that the poster put a lot of faith in what their friend said. Notice he didn’t say he’s actually tried it himself. Like you said, it’s laughable, so probably told in humor. 

Except that they came back with qualifying information that made it even more laughable.   And if they didn't have faith in the story then why repeat it with the updated crisp $20 qualifier?

I just maybe am guilty of buying into their tale of nonsense by responding to them.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

23 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Except that they came back with qualifying information that made it even more laughable.   And if they didn't have faith in the story then why repeat it with the updated crisp $20 qualifier?

I just maybe am guilty of buying into their tale of nonsense by responding to them.

I guess I kind of equated it with “I’m sorry, it’s not $1000, it’s $999.99” or some such ridiculous thing salespeople say. 

We embark on Icon in a couple of weeks. We got notice of the Royalup and put in our bid. We got the approval about 3 weeks later. This was about 45 days out from sailing when it was approved. 

• Like 2

I have done this (although with a $20 and not a $10), at hotel check-ins.  I've gotten room upgrades, free breakfast vouchers, and drinks vouchers.  I tried this after reading a New York Times article about this practice;  front desk clerks weighed in and noted that this was an appreciated practice. Never done it on a cruise, though. 

I am thinking about the old times when "pier upgrades" were offered, but they are gone now. 

Teddie

On 8/17/2024 at 11:04 AM, expectthebest said:

Friends of ours that cruise RCL frequently rely on asking at the guest relations counter immediately when they board the ship. They said it helps to have a crisp $10 dollar bill folded and pressed into the palm of their hand. When approaching the counter swiftly stretch out your hand and shake the hand of the RCL guest relations rep. Make solid eye contact and ask if there are any unsold rooms onboard that you can be moved to. The rep will inevitably feel the crisp $10 dollar bill in your firm handshake and will try to help as best he/ she can.

Good luck !!!!

$10? Are they stuck in a timewarp and think it's 1981?

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, cruiseboy89130 said:

How about a crisp, neatly folded 2$ bill?🤔🤭

I would not recommend this as a strategy as it is 18 dollars less than the “post” covid amount of $20 dollars that our friends have suggested. Plus it would be very hard to spend a $2 bill. I do not think any laundromat or self service car wash would accept any of the $2 bills rendering them almost useless.

I had to see for myself.. so I found a $2 bill that I have been saving since my childhood and went on a mission this afternoon.

I drove across town (about 25 mins both ways) to the Mall to check if the arcade near the food court had any games that accepted a $2 bill.. I almost had the entire place to myself (score!!) as it turns out I could only find one game that would accept my $2 bill..and it technically isn’t even a game..it was called the pressed penny. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, expectthebest said:

I would not recommend this as a strategy as it is 18 dollars less than the “post” covid amount of $20 dollars that our friends have suggested. Plus it would be very hard to spend a $2 bill. I do not think any laundromat or self service car wash would accept any of the $2 bills rendering them almost useless.

I had to see for myself.. so I found a $2 bill that I have been saving since my childhood and went on a mission this afternoon.

I drove across town (about 25 mins both ways) to the Mall to check if the arcade near the food court had any games that accepted a $2 bill.. I almost had the entire place to myself (score!!) as it turns out I could only find one game that would accept my $2 bill..and it technically isn’t even a game..it was called the pressed penny. 

lol ok now I think you’re just trying to rattle some cages on here….especially now that this thread has unleashed the dreaded $2 bill debate 😉

Getting back to the purpose of this thread, "upgrade bidding", I have a question.

I was checking reservations for our 3 staterooms and see that the Royal Upgrade message has popped up for all.  I would like to bid for upgrades on two connecting Promenade staterooms to Panoramic OV's.  The staterooms would not need to be connected since we ended up putting one adult, and one child in each.  However, I am afraid that one stateroom/occupants could get the upgrade, while the other would not.  Any suggestions on how to manage?

34 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Getting back to the purpose of this thread, "upgrade bidding", I have a question.

I was checking reservations for our 3 staterooms and see that the Royal Upgrade message has popped up for all.  I would like to bid for upgrades on two connecting Promenade staterooms to Panoramic OV's.  The staterooms would not need to be connected since we ended up putting one adult, and one child in each.  However, I am afraid that one stateroom/occupants could get the upgrade, while the other would not.  Any suggestions on how to manage?

Yes, thats exactly would might happen. Each cabin bid is a separate entity. Nothing is conditional and once accepted is final. The “Royal up” programme is managed by another company. Best to read the terms & conditions and make sure you are happy with them. 

In this case my advice would be to look at upgrading your booking through the more traditional channels if availability and cost works for you?

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to add another datapoint.. our bid was accepted 33 days out from sailing.  It was an upgrade bid from a sky class to star class suite, so I'm guessing Royal's data experts know that at this late a date the odds of them selling a suite that costs in excess of 5 figures for  September sailing go down? 

Anyways, we are beyond thrilled and keep in mind if you do bid and get a star class the bid price is offset by the fact that you no longer need a beverage package, gratuities, specialty dining or internet purchases as those are all included with star class (as well as starbucks).  This can add up to a lot of money for a family of four.

• Like 2