Booking a spa appointment on day 1 of cruise

drakes2

I'm planning on booking a massage on the first day of my upcoming cruise as its much cheaper than any other day. I'm unsure if taxes will kick in as technically the ship is in Fort Lauderdale. Reason I'm asking is that I was charged tax on a drink purchased at lunch at the buffet. Don't mind the odd drink being taxed but certainly don't want to pay it on a massage in addition to 20% gratuity. Perhaps someone on this board will know.  😊 

For the vast majority of services, Florida does not charge tax.  Spa services are exempt.  There are only 4 categories of services that Florida taxes.  So unless your massage includes pest control 😁 you won't be charged!

Nonresidential Cleaning Services

Commercial Pest Control Services

Commercial/Residential Burglary and Security Services

Detective Services

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

For the vast majority of services, Florida does not charge tax.  Spa services are exempt.  There are only 4 categories of services that Florida taxes.  So unless your massage includes pest control 😁 you won't be charged!

Nonresidential Cleaning Services

Commercial Pest Control Services

Commercial/Residential Burglary and Security Services

Detective Services

Ok thanks. Its expensive enough with the gratuities added and I don't want any surprises. 

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

you could pre book/ prepay online.. best choice of times and a discount..no tax..just the grat added.

Yes was planning on booking next week for end October cruise. Seems like all times are available and cheapest prices are on the first day. I can also pay in CAD. 

• Like 1

One thing to be aware of, appointments for boarding usually don't start until after 4pm or so. You will be able to make your appointment as soon as you board, but the spa staff is usually doing tours in the afternoon and a raffle right after sail away.  If you don’t mind a late appointment, boarding day is a good option for relaxing and saving $$.  

28 minutes ago, MACruisers said:

One thing to be aware of, appointments for boarding usually don't start until after 4pm or so. You will be able to make your appointment as soon as you board, but the spa staff is usually doing tours in the afternoon and a raffle right after sail away.  If you don’t mind a late appointment, boarding day is a good option for relaxing and saving $$.  

I was able to book a 3pm appointment the first available time. Ships sails at 3:30 but I can go directly to sail away after. I just won't eat a big lunch. 😆 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I'm planning on booking a massage on the first day of my upcoming cruise as its much cheaper than any other day. I'm unsure if taxes will kick in as technically the ship is in Fort Lauderdale. Reason I'm asking is that I was charged tax on a drink purchased at lunch at the buffet. Don't mind the odd drink being taxed but certainly don't want to pay it on a massage in addition to 20% gratuity. Perhaps someone on this board will know.  😊 

I have had many spa services pre booked and done on embarkation day. No taxes charged. I did not even have to sign anything, they informed me that since all was booked and paid for (including gratuity) I was good to go.
May be different from other ports/states, but this was all from FLL.
Enjoy the massage!

BTW we met last November on the Sillhouette at Linda's Zenith party in Blu.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1