NZTD Incoming passenger

I have just noticed that this has appeared in my travel documents from Princess for a forthcoming cruise with Diamond Princess to NZ in less than 2 months.  It was not there last season.  Has anyone struck this recently?  I know there have been references in past posts but it seems to be compulsory now.  I tried to start it online, however when it asked for my ship would not accept Diamond Princess.  I tried to find a pdf version of the form but was unsuccessful.  The world cruise has just come through NZ, how did they handle it?

The paragraph about the $35 visitor fee has been deleted.

REQUIRED NEW ZEALAND TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

New Zealand Traveller Declaration (NZTD): All guests travelling to New Zealand (including NZ and AU passport holders) must submit this form, which collects information about your travel and links it digitally to your passport. The time frame for submission begins 24 hours before departing the last international port prior to arriving in NZ, and ends when you arrive in your first port in NZ. Download the NZTD app or visit https://app.travellerdeclaration.govt.nz.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Once you depart Australia on Diamond you'll get an info sheet in your cabin about doing the NZTD. It's very easy to do. 

Do you know if this is still necessary if you've got an Australia & New Zealand Visa the the ETA (I think it's called). We will be visiting both places by land as well as the cruise. 

Yes you do need to complete the NZTD . It is a separate customs and immigration declaration quite separate from the ETA/ or visa requirement. Just search " nz travellers declaration" and all the info is there.  It used to be a paper form/ card handed out on aircraft or cruise ships. Ihave heard mention that sometimes the form is still being handed out but best do it online within the stated timeframe.

17 hours ago, greatestvalue said:

Do you know if this is still necessary if you've got an Australia & New Zealand Visa the the ETA (I think it's called). We will be visiting both places by land as well as the cruise. 

Yes, it is. It replaces the old paper customs/biosecurity entry form. 

19 hours ago, robncruise said:

Yes you do need to complete the NZTD . It is a separate customs and immigration declaration quite separate from the ETA/ or visa requirement. Just search " nz travellers declaration" and all the info is there.  It used to be a paper form/ card handed out on aircraft or cruise ships. Ihave heard mention that sometimes the form is still being handed out but best do it online within the stated timeframe.

I still can't complete it because it wont accept Diamond Princess.  Tells me to download the paper pdf copy.  However I so far have failed to find it.  As for having it on my phone well I wont be connected to the internet to do it on the ship.  Don't have the package.  I have found a pdf of the NZ Passenger Arrival Card.  Maybe that will do.

Posted (edited)

The last time I returned to NZ (by air), I completed the TD on line and got a confirmation that it had been completed. However, for whatever reason the information didn't attach to my passport. It wasn't a problem though, I  was given a paper copy to complete instead. So don't worry unnecessarily, if all else fails you'll be able to complete a paper copy at the port.

Try this link:  

https://www.customs.govt.nz/globalassets/nz-traveller-declaration/nztd-form.pdf

Edited by Jean C
  • Like 2

see OzKiwiJJ reply above.  It's too soon to complete the nztd . The earliest you can do it is 24 hours before departing the last international port before arriving in NZ and it can be completed right until your arrival in NZ

On our Coral Princess Hawaii cruise, they had crew at Guest Services as well as the Computer area assisting guests who needed it. Princess also gives instructions on what to enter for ship arrivals.  I completed the online version via iPhone and the supplied web link. This was a couple of days before arriving in NZ. Cheers, Buzz.

Thanks Jean

I feel happier being able to take a paper form with me in case there are problems at embarkation.  Always like to be prepared.  I know I am over cautious.

The day before embarkation may be a tad busy and I don't want to be wrestling with an app or computer which may or may not do as I want.  Computers and apps have been known to crash.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ondine said:

I still can't complete it because it wont accept Diamond Princess.  Tells me to download the paper pdf copy.  However I so far have failed to find it.  As for having it on my phone well I wont be connected to the internet to do it on the ship.  Don't have the package.  I have found a pdf of the NZ Passenger Arrival Card.  Maybe that will do.

You could either get internet for a single day or else the folk at the Internet Cafe should be able to help you.

Note also that you can start/draft the declaration well in advance using the app. You'll be emailed a reference number and that will enable you to access your draft declaration to edit and/or finalise it, ready for submission 24 hours prior to your arrival in NZ.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jean C said:

....that will enable you to access your draft declaration to edit and/or finalise it, ready for submission 24 hours prior to your arrival in NZ.

Just for clarity.

The info posted in post # 8 regarding submission timings is correct when travelling by sea.

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Just for clarity.

The info posted in post # 8 regarding submission timings is correct when travelling by sea.

Yes, within 24 hours of arrival. On an upcoming cruise I plan to prepare what I can of the declaration in advance. I have heard of cruise ships giving free wifi to passengers to enable them to complete visas/declarations. If that doesn't happen then I will finalise my declaration with the free wifi on arrival at the port.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Yes, within 24 hours of arrival. On an upcoming cruise I plan to prepare what I can of the declaration in advance. I have heard of cruise ships giving free wifi to passengers to enable them to complete visas/declarations. If that doesn't happen then I will finalise my declaration with the free wifi on arrival at the port.

The definition (by sea) is within 24hrs of departure from your final port before NZ. On that basis, if I were cruising from Sydney to Auckland tomorrow evening, I could complete the NZTD at home tonight.

57 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Yes, within 24 hours of arrival.

Sorry, but that is not correct.

The post shown below is correct in regards to submitting the NZTD.

EG: If sailing non stop Papeete to Auckland, this could be 3 or 4 days before arrival to NZ.

On 8/18/2024 at 9:24 PM, robncruise said:

see OzKiwiJJ reply above.  It's too soon to complete the nztd . The earliest you can do it is 24 hours before departing the last international port before arriving in NZ and it can be completed right until your arrival in NZ

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

The definition (by sea) is within 24hrs of departure from your final port before NZ. On that basis, if I were cruising from Sydney to Auckland tomorrow evening, I could complete the NZTD at home tonight.

I stand corrected, as you say, completion and submission is within 24 hours of departing final port before NZ.

• Like 2