AARP OBC info

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

I got them when I signed up for AARP last year.

Ah, from a google search it looks like it’s not something I can get as a Canadian. Sounds like it would be useful! O love my packing cubes and having different ones (colour, shape, size) is very helpful.

On 8/19/2024 at 2:34 AM, boze9999 said:

I questioned why I didn't receive my AARP OBC and just learned from my PCC that you need to annually RENEW your AARP qualification on the HAL site. (My initial qualification last year the end of July and my newly booked August bookings for future sailing didn't show it.) Don't know if my PCC was correct or not, but nonetheless, I went onto HAL and re-applied. 

Every year you have to reapply 

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Every year you have to reapply 

Yes, because AARP requires you to retain membership. I think that the only one that stays on for an extended basis is the military veteran OBC.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CNSJ said:

Depends on the credit card.  I always pay at least ten percent direct on my Chase Sapphire Reserve to get their good travel insurance as you must pay for "part" of the trip to get the benefit.  I have been buying MedJet Assist for return to the US if hospitalized (also through AARP discount). 

The new Chase guidelines for Preffered now only offer coverage for the amount charged(used to be the entire trip).....not sure if the same holds true for Reserve but suspect it might. 

One insurance that remains extremely cheap is evacuation which I have seen still offered for 20 bucks for a one week Carib cruises.

As a sidebar I was thinking of getting a Chase IHG card which offers trip insurance but after four calls to Chase nobody can tell you what the terms of that insurance are. The 'all important' term I am concerned about is whether you have to charge everything to the card to get insurance. 'After you get the card you will receive the terms' ....hard to be an informed consumer these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

not sure if the same holds true for Reserve but suspect it might. 

I just pulled the Guide to Benefits (Dates 8/15/24) for Chase Sapphire Reserve -

The Emergency Evacuation and Transportation benefit will cover
necessary emergency evacuation and transportation expenses up
to one hundred thousand ($100,000.00) dollars when You, Your
Spouse, and/or eligible children under age nineteen (19) [under the
age of twenty–six (26) if enrolled as a full–time student at an accredited
university] are injured or become ill while traveling, resulting in
emergency evacuation. You are eligible if Your name is embossed on
an eligible card issued in the United States, and You charge any portion
of Your Covered Trip to Your credit card Account
and/or rewards
programs associated with Your Account. This benefit also includes
Repatriation of Remains coverage.

The same language exists in Travel Accident, Trip Delay, Lost Luggage, Trip Cancellation etc. sections. 

This makes the Chase Sapphire Reserve hefty fee of $550 (net $250 after travel credit) well worth it to me.  Plus you get three points per dollar on travel (a broad definition that includes tolls, restaurants, hotels, Uber, air fare, etc.) , and Priority Pass Lounge Access. 

9 minutes ago, CNSJ said:

I just pulled the Guide to Benefits (Dates 8/15/24) for Chase Sapphire Reserve -

The Emergency Evacuation and Transportation benefit will cover
necessary emergency evacuation and transportation expenses up
to one hundred thousand ($100,000.00) dollars when You, Your
Spouse, and/or eligible children under age nineteen (19) [under the
age of twenty–six (26) if enrolled as a full–time student at an accredited
university] are injured or become ill while traveling, resulting in
emergency evacuation. You are eligible if Your name is embossed on
an eligible card issued in the United States, and You charge any portion
of Your Covered Trip to Your credit card Account
and/or rewards
programs associated with Your Account. This benefit also includes
Repatriation of Remains coverage.

The same language exists in Travel Accident, Trip Delay, Lost Luggage, Trip Cancellation etc. sections. 

This makes the Chase Sapphire Reserve hefty fee of $550 (net $250 after travel credit) well worth it to me.  Plus you get three points per dollar on travel (a broad definition that includes tolls, restaurants, hotels, Uber, air fare, etc.) , and Priority Pass Lounge Access. 

As I said, Preferred JUST changed their terms (I believe they may be effective in Oct. as they are changing their insurance underwriter):

This benefit provides reimbursement for covered travel expenses if a Trip is cancelled or interrupted due to a covered reason. Coverage is limited to the lesser of the following: • $10,000 per Covered Traveler • $20,000 per Trip for all Covered Travelers and $40,000 per twelve (12) month period per Account • the actual amount charged to the Covered Card 

Before the terms changed they said you only had to charge part of the trip as you show in your summary.

No longer have Reserve so cannot speak to any changes in their coverage. Had a Reserve for years (and even got the original 100k point sign up) and thought it a great card. In retirement not really as valuable for me.

24 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

As I said, Preferred JUST changed their terms (I believe they may be effective in Oct. as they are changing their insurance underwriter):

This benefit provides reimbursement for covered travel expenses if a Trip is cancelled or interrupted due to a covered reason. Coverage is limited to the lesser of the following: • $10,000 per Covered Traveler • $20,000 per Trip for all Covered Travelers and $40,000 per twelve (12) month period per Account • the actual amount charged to the Covered Card 

Before the terms changed they said you only had to charge part of the trip as you show in your summary.

No longer have Reserve so cannot speak to any changes in their coverage. Had a Reserve for years (and even got the original 100k point sign up) and thought it a great card. In retirement not really as valuable for me.

But there is a limit on the length of the trip.

On 8/21/2024 at 10:18 AM, chisoxfan said:

Could you please provide the link or website where you found this info?  All I can find is the updated Guide to Benefits dated Aug 15 and it does not say this.  I am finding the same thing that @CNSJ did.

13 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

Could you please provide the link or website where you found this info?  All I can find is the updated Guide to Benefits dated Aug 15 and it does not say this.  I am finding the same thing that @CNSJ did.

Chase sent an e-mail advising new benefits. NEW Guide to Benefits Chase Sapphire Preferred®, Visa Signature®.pdfNEW Guide to Benefits Chase Sapphire Preferred®, Visa Signature®.pdfNEW Guide to Benefits Chase Sapphire Preferred®, Visa Signature®.pdfNEW Guide to Benefits Chase Sapphire Preferred®, Visa Signature®.pdf

As a Canadian, I could only purchase a one year membership.  If I book a cruise now that takes place after my membership expires, would I still get the OBC?  Does it not come through automatically at the time of booking (once I've gone through the verification process)?  Or does that happen after I renew my AARP membership that covers the period of the cruise?

I recently added AARP to three HAL cruises (after booking) with some but minimal issues. If you have the OBC added to the cruise I would say there is zero chance anyone would go back to 'check' a current AARP status.

The OBC does not show up as a seperate line item (AARP OBC) but is lumped into whatever OBC you had. Additionally, I am transferring two of my bookings to a T/A which makes things even more difficult to 'follow'. So as a guy who just learned about and added the AARP OBC in the past month (ie. minimal experience with it) I would be very confident that once you have credit applied to a cruise that will be all you need moving forward.

To me akin to stockholder credit. Once you apply and are accepted nobody comes back 6 months later and asks for proof of stock ownership. I usually own the stock for five minutes when I apply.

Posted (edited)

Thanks.  I'm under the same impression.  Really, how can they afford to double check it?  The issue I'm having is that I only recently became an AARP member so this is the first time I'm expecting the OBC.  The amounts of the OBC that I've been granted do not add to what I expect, one is more, one is less.  I will have to have the TA call HAL to get the breakdown of the OBC.  Count me among those who want that figure broken down on the booking confirmation!!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

6 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Thanks.  I'm under the same impression.  Really, how can they afford to double check it?  The issue I'm having is that I only recently became an AARP member so this is the first time I'm expecting the OBC.  The amounts of the OBC that I've been granted do not add to what I expect, one is more, one is less.  I will have to have the TA call HAL to get the breakdown of the OBC.  Count me among those who want that figure broken down on the booking confirmation!!

I'm with you and the need to know exactly where the total OBC's are coming from. Other cruise lines provide this info when you log into your booking, but HAL makes it difficult. Time for HAL to upgrade their IT system. 

Our TA was 'seeing" one total and a week later, a different total. When I called HAL, I was told, "You have a lot of OBC." After final payment our TA and I figured out and identified the stock, military, educators and AARP, and a TA added bonus. There was something called select state [whatever that is] and anniversary also added. After all this, I need a vacation!

Darcy

9 minutes ago, WatchHill said:

I'm with you and the need to know exactly where the total OBC's are coming from. Other cruise lines provide this info when you log into your booking, but HAL makes it difficult. Time for HAL to upgrade their IT system. 

Our TA was 'seeing" one total and a week later, a different total. When I called HAL, I was told, "You have a lot of OBC." After final payment our TA and I figured out and identified the stock, military, educators and AARP, and a TA added bonus. There was something called select state [whatever that is] and anniversary also added. After all this, I need a vacation!

Darcy

Gee, after all those credits HAL probably owes you money :classic_rolleyes:

Hello! I have AARP obc on my next cruise secured. You do need to have your AARP membership sorted out before even asking HAL about it of course.

Things to note: the obc offer is PER CABIN, not per person. If you are a couple living together, only one AARP membership is needed! You also can join AARP at any age, not just 65 or whatever! Another big plus is it's not just for Americans either! Anyone around the planet earth can join and get the AARP benefit from HAL, but there are some hoops to go through to secure that OBC if not American (mostly to do with having to send emails and what not. Message me if that is something you need help with). I'm Canadian and only 58 but my partner and I have secured the AARP obc benefit for our next cruise. Cheers!

Edited by MaxThrusters

If my booking is through a travel agent (big box, if it makes a difference), can I use HAL gift cards towards my final payment?  Since I'm paying the travel agent.  We have a final payment coming up and paying some by gift card thru AARP would be nice.

9 hours ago, liberty176 said:

If my booking is through a travel agent (big box, if it makes a difference), can I use HAL gift cards towards my final payment?  Since I'm paying the travel agent.  We have a final payment coming up and paying some by gift card thru AARP would be nice.

I give my travel agent a list of the card & pin numbers - she applies them all to make my final payment. Certainly it's more tedious than giving a single credit card number, but it's perfectly ok and just part of doing business for any decent travel agent.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2