Live(ish) Millennium Japan 19th Aug review

villauk

On 8/17/2024 at 2:51 PM, villauk said:

Arrival in HND

We’d chosen Haneda over Narita airport in Japan as we planned to stay in Yokohama for a couple of days pre-cruise. One thing I hadn’t done was complete the Visit Japan site pre-flight. Yes, it’s probably worth it but I knew we could fill out the forms once we’d landed. You are split before you reach immigration: those with a QR code can join the line immediately, others need to complete a form to hand over when passing through the immigration checks. The line didn’t take long and we went through without incident. Straight after, you are required to complete customs forms before going through immigration again. Honestly, it did not take long and there are toilet on the other side 😉

@monkey@cruise had been an angel and had provided exact directions on three options to reach our hotel: Citadines Harbour Front. We decided to go for the bus route as opposed to the train. My thinking: the bus would be easier as we would have had to change trains with a huge amount of luggage. Supervising 😂, would have been a nightmare compared to one coach with baggage beneath - easy life 😉. We purchased the tickets as soon as we passed through customs. There was a desk, with plenty of friendly staff, who could speak ‘brummie’ (our English CCs will understand this phrase 🤭), for everyone else ‘English’ 😂. The assistant even explained where the bus station was and highlighted which bus stand from @monkey@cruise‘s directions, which I had printed off prior to leaving the U.K. The bus depot is downstairs behind the lifts in the main area after leaving customs. 

Now, there are central waiting room booths to use while you wait for your bus; if you arrive in August, you will need them. As we walked out of the airport 🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵🥵. The heat will hit you hard if you come from the U.K. We have travelled extensively, so would compare it to Singapore or the Bahamas in the summer. First stop is a 7Eleven for one of those UV umbrellas @Lunastella mentioned. We also brought spare clothing in our hand luggage to change into something more comfortable and loose fitting - a major tip there, so even if you don’t get anything else from my review, it’s worth reading just for that 😂.

Was it the Airport Limousine Bus you took to the Citadines Harbour Front in Yokohama? If so, which stop did you get off and how did you get to Citadines? We are taking  Airport Limousine Bus from Narita and Citadines advised us to get off at YCAT (Yokohama City Airport Terminal) and take short taxi ride from there. Thanks.

I’m happy that you don’t post all the menus, multiple food pictures and daily activity listings stuff. I know some people like that but unless one is going on the very next cruise on the same ship, chances are that it won’t be relevant for planning purposes. But I guess it depends on whether you are an experienced cruiser or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catgirl411 said:

I’m happy that you don’t post all the menus, multiple food pictures and daily activity listings stuff. I know some people like that but unless one is going on the very next cruise on the same ship, chances are that it won’t be relevant for planning purposes. But I guess it depends on whether you are an experienced cruiser or not.

Actually the menu's do not vary that much cruise to cruise/ship to ship and not everyone always orders the same thing.  I like seeing pictures of the food, even if the menu's are not posted, especially when there is narrative that tells me what the dish because it is not always readily apparent to me.  

I do agree with  you about the daily planner.  Those are subject to change a lot more than the menu's are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DebDuh said:

Was it the Airport Limousine Bus you took to the Citadines Harbour Front in Yokohama? If so, which stop did you get off and how did you get to Citadines? We are taking  Airport Limousine Bus from Narita and Citadines advised us to get off at YCAT (Yokohama City Airport Terminal) and take short taxi ride from there. Thanks.

Citadines info is correct, the bus which stops near Citadines is from Haneda not Narita. Taxi fare from YCAT to Citadines is about 2200 yen.

Edited by monkey@cruise
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Citadines info is correct, the bus which stops near Citadines is from Haneda not Narita. Taxi fare from YCAT to Citadines is about 2200 yen.

Thank you!

9 hours ago, DebDuh said:

As @monkey@cruise posted, we landed at Haneda airport not Narita 👍.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, catgirl411 said:

We’re not big foodies and my DH hates to know what’s on the menu before we sit down to dinner 😂.

3 hours ago, clochette said:

What I wonderful review, just discovered it and enjoyed every words,  I give you so much credit for booking such a trip for 7.

Thank you, glad you are enjoying it 👍.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DebDuh said:

Ok thx

Here are a few more photos of the executive rooms at the Citadines:

image.thumb.png.26ced39af77606f8e790bc00180a760c.pngimage.thumb.png.9192d4d5b17238ad356574be9830bc65.pngimage.thumb.png.dd5c7fe85fcda7078e7b14a78adf15f1.pngimage.thumb.png.2365adc9f345e0ba1757de9cfd55fb8d.png

This one is a double studio room:

image.thumb.png.f4ccf9ff6186bf26643b1499cb452fb6.png

image.thumb.png.57f2ea7e09ba2303bd0401a54adcd3a3.png

image.thumb.png.0d20b0261e8bb542924d02c69eba5395.png

image.thumb.png.ecb54aaad7e7356c66a45da741775bb4.png

Even the microwave sang to us 😂😂😂.

image.png

Edited by villauk
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, villauk said:

Here are a few more photos of the executive rooms at the Citadines:

image.thumb.png.26ced39af77606f8e790bc00180a760c.pngimage.thumb.png.9192d4d5b17238ad356574be9830bc65.pngimage.thumb.png.dd5c7fe85fcda7078e7b14a78adf15f1.pngimage.thumb.png.2365adc9f345e0ba1757de9cfd55fb8d.png

This one is a double studio room:

image.thumb.png.f4ccf9ff6186bf26643b1499cb452fb6.png

image.thumb.png.57f2ea7e09ba2303bd0401a54adcd3a3.png

image.thumb.png.0d20b0261e8bb542924d02c69eba5395.png

image.thumb.png.ecb54aaad7e7356c66a45da741775bb4.png

Even the microwave sang to us 😂😂😂.

image.png

Looks great. Think we have a deluxe double.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all your great info and reports. Really enjoy reading it, 🙏

Did you get any update information about docking back in Yokohama on Saturday due to the typhoon is coming closer?

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable cruise ❤️

We board on Saturday and hope all goes well for our tour 🙏

4 hours ago, catweazlecat said:

Thanks a lot for all your great info and reports. Really enjoy reading it, 🙏

Did you get any update information about docking back in Yokohama on Saturday due to the typhoon is coming closer?

Wishing you a safe and enjoyable cruise ❤️

We board on Saturday and hope all goes well for our tour 🙏

We received an updated letter, the first section still has the wrong date 😂 - at least they tried to get it right a second time - where they changed it to docking on Sat at 6.30am. The captain hasn’t said any further information and we are presently moving swiftly towards Hakodate, where we are due to dock tomorrow at midday. We have received a further letter regarding immigration for tomorrow too:

image.thumb.jpeg.d7561874547d8aa048fa51e2863345e6.jpeg

We have to wait for our number to be called and take the necessary documentation. Unsure when we’ll eventually be onshore because they have stated it could be as late as 2.00pm. We’ll see what happens 👍.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise; Japan is a jewel.

image.thumb.jpeg.1466ec922f387ed68fdd5a5a8806fee9.jpeg

On a side note, If you haven’t already purchased premium WiFi, you’ll need it as you can’t do a thing with basic onboard 😉.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am in Kyoto now, weather is 26C with light rain. Currently Typhoon Shanshan is around Kagoshima area moving north, keeping an eye on the typhoon path , may impact my Shinkansen travel back to Yokohama. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shinkensan between shin-Osaka and Tokyo is temporary restored this morning subject to weather. Typhoon Shanshan’s path will be over Kochi, anyone who plan post cruise stay in Osaka or Kyoto, check the weather, will be extreme hot 32-34C and humid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Shinkensan between shin-Osaka and Tokyo is temporary restored this morning subject to weather. Typhoon Shanshan’s path will be over Kochi, anyone who plan post cruise stay in Osaka or Kyoto, check the weather, will be extreme hot 32-34C and humid.

Hope all are ok. Sorry for everyone impacted by this typhoon.

image.thumb.png.49ae808767acd3e934f9dd80997bc1ad.png

We docked in Hakodate yesterday as planned. Immigration was 😫. Numbers were called from approximately 12:30, however, queues were long and the hall was packed to bursting with just the first few numbers called. Personally, I think X would have been better clearing each number, more or less, before calling the next section. On the other hand, we were fortunate for the immigration personnel to arrive in number at such short notice 👍. Having been here for two weeks, I expect nothing less from Japan 😉.

As we had a limited amount of time, we decided to bimble around the immediate port area by foot. Hakodate was a pleasant surprise. First, we walked to the Red Brick Warehouses (shops and stalls filled with a plethora of goods), which is about a 10-minute walk.

image.thumb.png.a0895a25f6fd77ecec9e1d241f5b4378.png

image.thumb.png.a3d711a88919718f53af8a262a3ce318.png

image.thumb.png.25aec70308fc2d128067372d579832d1.png

image.thumb.png.be7631b1827b94d7276bc6ac3f4c9f05.png

image.thumb.png.969a89c49ee6f6f8916469609318a781.png

We continued along the waterfront and enjoyed viewing some of the local statues.

image.thumb.png.9ad704356224157dd9d089c038f0341a.png

image.thumb.png.65f4e8d038f9bc316f50a09b09dfdf81.png

Moving on, we came across a park filled with more statues and some wonderful buildings. 

image.thumb.png.6cabd262d3eb69c0594ec97bc7e1a128.png

image.thumb.png.fe90b1ab577e5072d8ca50c2ebc771c9.png

image.thumb.png.513818bb34504d67d083aea61e172e2a.png

The weather was cooler today, so no need for the umbrella 👍. In the distance, you can see the cable car to the top - we’re saving that for next time we visit 😉. (I’m sounding more and more like @Miaminice every day 😂😂😂.)

image.thumb.png.32018ca722a38bab628fbb2a155ab843.png

The roads reminded me of being in San Francisco.

image.thumb.png.cd828884df9ed1f0a0650bd8eff6b3d9.png

image.thumb.png.c965fb7281a4d6a84072d7b164f3350f.png

There were lots of different cafes and shops around the back streets. 

image.thumb.png.d253e3ec1e524c5a49266d69ed352473.png

image.thumb.png.ec58c643f9f9bad5796751c047502f31.png

The boys had received messages from their friends at the ship to say that if we intended to return, which we weren’t exactly at that time, the immigration checks were still in process and would be for another hour or more.

So to continue the tradition, we just had to visit:

image.thumb.png.9a0e1218d54058d49082ec86967dd0f8.png

… for afternoon tea: scones with jam and cream and Earl Grey 😂.

image.thumb.png.2cb3082efb34dda86c7a3e749b0a21f3.png

We’d had a fantastic few hours here. It was cooler in temperature and much more to our liking 👍

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 5

Because of the typhoon, the ship suffered some rocking and rolling all night. We had some very unusual noises in our SV! More swaying than anything else.

Today is our last sea day and we like having the free day to sort through our purchases and packing, before going home. We’ve not heard anything about our flights being affected by the storm, and we’ve checked in as normal - we’ve got everything crossed 🤞.

As there are seven of us, I’ve pre-booked a shuttle from the port to the airport for tomorrow. We’ve already changed the X disembarkation numbers as we were given a far later time than we need. 

I’ll post some post-cruise thoughts after we’re home but we appear to have enjoyed ourselves far more than some people! My DH heard someone at GS this morning asking when Millie was going in to be scrapped as she needs to be! The boys also heard someone else complaining and saying they were writing to HQ about the quality of the ship and the cruise 😲. It’s not a new ship, but this sailing is all about the itinerary - if you want Edge Class, then you need to look further afield. 

We’re on Connie in approximately 8 weeks and she’s not been updated, so we’ll see how we get on there - it’s another ‘oldies’ bimble cruise (only the 4 parents 😂), like we did on Infinity in March and we thoroughly enjoyed that 😉.

• Like 6

FYI, do bring the bite cream as I’ve been bitten so many times on the cruise that I’ve lost count. I must have some really sweet blood, or smell very tasty 😂.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villauk said:

If anyone is interested, there are taxis available directly outside the port entrance.

image.thumb.png.cd3c3eac0223c3c87a0ee38e6a0efbb9.png

Is it easy to get frim the ship to the port building? Our driver is supposed to meet us there.Thx.

14 minutes ago, DebDuh said:

Is it easy to get frim the ship to the port building? Our driver is supposed to meet us there.Thx.

This was for the port of Hakodate regarding the taxis. If thats what you’re referring to, then yes 👍.

If you mean to Yokohama, that’s also a yes from what we saw when we boarded. If it’s any different, I’ll let you know after tomorrow when we disembark 👍.

• Like 1