Live(ish) Millennium Japan 19th Aug review

villauk

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

My magic 8-ball says "Highly unlikely"    🤣

This morning took the limited express train to Kobe then transfer portliner metro to cruise terminal. There are 6 passengers boarding in Kobe and the ship only 2200 passengers. Took 30 min to have my luggage onboard, received sea pass cards. Kobe weather is hot and humid, sit on the loop bus to go around. Onboard restaurant serving Japan beef, can’t compare with the Kobe beef I had. 

• Like 4

On 8/23/2024 at 11:29 PM, monkey@cruise said:

Seems Celebrity Millennium is moving to Hiroshima Port Ujina Passenger terminal effective 19-August?? No longer using Itsukaichi wharf. Will be 1 mile distance to Hiroshimako, high speed ferry terminal  to Miyajima

Hello!  Do you know if this is a permanent change - I am on the October 6th 2024 cruise.  

After couple days of observations, one of my findings.

Everyone thinks google map is the Japan travel saviour. Not totally true, while I was inside Kobe’s Sannomiya station hallway, ran into a cruiser group rushing to catch train to Kyoto, a leading guy holding a smartphone was telling everyone to catch the next train. I told them to take the 10 min later express train to Kyoto in 50 min compare coming normal train in 80 min. In Japan, long haul train has several types: express, limited express and normal. Very few read station exit display boards, just follow the flow. 😱

• Like 3

Just confirmed with customer service that the ship will dock at Hiroshima Port Ujina, not a convenient docking location  visit Hiroshima Peace Park and Miyajima. Some passengers are upset because I told them they can visit the Peace Park for 1000 yen instead $100/pp. just take the shuttle to port of Hiroshima area, take tram #7 to the Atomic Dome stop in 35 min, fare 220 yen, peace park is free, and museum entrance fare is 200 yen.

19 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

Some passengers are upset because I told them they can visit the Peace Park for 1000 yen instead $100/pp.

Don't understand why they would be upset with you - Your information was based on the ship docking at a certain location.  Not your fault Celebrity changed docks. 

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Don't understand why they would be upset with you - Your information was based on the ship docking at a certain location.  Not your fault Celebrity changed docks. 

They are upset because they thought Celebrity will provide the shore info and maps, so they don’t have to book a shore excursion. Lots of 1st timer to Japan, with high expectations.

4 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Just confirmed with customer service that the ship will dock at Hiroshima Port Ujina, not a convenient docking location  visit Hiroshima Peace Park and Miyajima. Some passengers are upset because I told them they can visit the Peace Park for 1000 yen instead $100/pp. just take the shuttle to port of Hiroshima area, take tram #7 to the Atomic Dome stop in 35 min, fare 220 yen, peace park is free, and museum entrance fare is 200 yen.

Same happened to us in Kagoshima once. We ran into people from the ship on the ferry over to Sakurajima and at the different sights on the island. Just that we were always there first. On the ferry back we met again and they asked me how we got here since they haven’t seen us on the bus. I explained that we got the day pass for a few $ and just took the tram and the loop bus. And that now we were on our way to the gardens.

They got really upset (at us), got loud and said it’s not fair that they paid over $150 each and would have to wait for the same ferry when we just paid a few bucks. Then they go on about them not going to the gardens while we paid so much less… and so on.

I would always tell people to get a private guide - not cruise line tour - in Kyoto to make the most of it. Simply because Kyoto has soooo much to offer that a guide helps to make the most of the limited time. But all other ports can really be pretty simple and inexpensive. All it takes is a bit of research, which is part of the fun for me. Or simply to look into reports like this one, your report or our travelogues.

Is everyone’s own choice - but why get mad at us?! 🤷🏻🤣

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Same happened to us in Kagoshima once. We ran into people from the ship on the ferry over to Sakurajima and at the different sights on the island. Just that we were always there first. On the ferry back we met again and they asked me how we got here since they haven’t seen us on the bus. I explained that we got the day pass for a few $ and just took the tram and the loop bus. And that now we were on our way to the gardens.

They got really upset (at us), got loud and said it’s not fair that they paid over $150 each and would have to wait for the same ferry when we just paid a few bucks. Then they go on about them not going to the gardens while we paid so much less… and so on.

I would always tell people to get a private guide - not cruise line tour - in Kyoto to make the most of it. Simply because Kyoto has soooo much to offer that a guide helps to make the most of the limited time. But all other ports can really be pretty simple and inexpensive. All it takes is a bit of research, which is part of the fun for me. Or simply to look into reports like this one, your report or our travelogues.

Is everyone’s own choice - but why get mad at us?! 🤷🏻🤣

What ridiculous nonsensical behaviour. From adults. They couldn't be bothered going to the effort of sorting things out themselves and then blame you? If it wasn't so nasty it would be funny.  

We are doing a week long land trip spending time in Tokyo and Kyoto after reading reviews such as yours and have organised a guided tour for two days in Kyoto. We have a couple of ship tours booked (Aomori as it's the first port after Busan and it's a National Public Holiday as well for Sakura) plus Shimizu. Plus a private tour guide for Hiroshima (Peace Park and Miyajiyama) as we need to learn as much as we can here. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

They are upset because they thought Celebrity will provide the shore info and maps, so they don’t have to book a shore excursion. Lots of 1st timer to Japan, with high expectations.

Did they ask at Guest Services?  We were in the retreat and a lot of port information was provided to us, some of which I posted in my review. 

11 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Hello again.  I have been researching getting to Itsukushima Shrine from Hiroshima for both ports (Plan A and Plan B lol)....if we port at Ujina can we take the Setonaikaikisen ferry across? I have been on their website and it looks like we can get a one day pass for 3800 yen but with us arriving so late in the day, not sure if it worth going over since everything closes at 5pm.  What are your thoughts.....? I have OBC I can use up to do it with the ship but prefer DIY

23 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Did they ask at Guest Services?  We were in the retreat and a lot of port information was provided to us, some of which I posted in my review. 

@DaKahuna  Thank you for posting those information sheets on your review!  I am definitely going to Guest Services to get a copy for each port of call.  I have never seen anything like that before with Celebrity, and I have asked in the past both at Guest Services and the Shore Excursion desk.  Now I have a screen shot of yours, so I know they exist!  We have sailed with Marella Cruises in the past,  and they provide them to everyone on the ship (not just the upper class suites) so you can DIY the ports of call - it is such a valuable resource to have.  

Edited by debfed65
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

How incredibly unreasonable to blame a fellow cruiser for not handholding them. People are so awful sometimes. For a trip

to Japan, I would expect to

do a lot of independent research. Obviously some people are used to being spoon fed.

btw, you seem very knowledgeable about travel to Japan. I note that you are in Winnipeg…we lived there for 20years…given the 6 degrees of separation there, we probably either know each other or know someone in common!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Can’t believe that they are upset with you for trying to help. We thought it was easy to take the free shuttle to Hiroshima Port and then you have the option of the tram or ferry right there.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise. Is the weather still 🥵🥵🥵🥵? Our eldest son said this week that his favourite tour was Himeji Castle and he’d love to return. I think we may consider a re-run in a couple of years, obviously in the spring or autumn (fall) 😉.

7 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Hello again.  I have been researching getting to Itsukushima Shrine from Hiroshima for both ports (Plan A and Plan B lol)....if we port at Ujina can we take the Setonaikaikisen ferry across? I have been on their website and it looks like we can get a one day pass for 3800 yen but with us arriving so late in the day, not sure if it worth going over since everything closes at 5pm.  What are your thoughts.....? I have OBC I can use up to do it with the ship but prefer DIY

We did it and didn’t dock until lunchtime. You can always come back the alternative route (see my earlier post #146).

Edited by villauk

10 minutes ago, villauk said:

We did it and didn’t dock until lunchtime. You can always come back the alternative route (see my early post).

Thank you @villauk I just re-read your Hiroshima post starting at #146 and that pretty much answers my question I posed to @monkey@cruise  I wasn't being lazy....I followed & enjoyed your live report as you were posting, but I have been researching and re-reading so many reports I'm getting dizzy 🥴  Did you opt to return by shorter ferry & then the train or did you just take the ferry all the way back?

14 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

Thank you @villauk I just re-read your Hiroshima post starting at #146 and that pretty much answers my question I posed to @monkey@cruise  I wasn't being lazy....I followed & enjoyed your live report as you were posting, but I have been researching and re-reading so many reports I'm getting dizzy 🥴  Did you opt to return by shorter ferry & then the train or did you just take the ferry all the way back?

I know it can feel very overwhelming, which is why the advice from the experts on here, such as @monkey@cruise and @Miaminice, is invaluable.

To answer your question, we were planning on taking the shorter ferry and train, however, we decided that we’d had enough of the heat after a few hours and caught the last high-speed ferry back to Hiroshima Port, which stopped off at the hotel first. When we purchased our ferry tickets initially, the person in the booth advised us not to buy the return ticket as the alternative route back would give us more time on the island; he said that the shorter ferries ran much later than the 5pm deadline for the high-speed back to the Port of Hiroshima. There’s lots going on in Mirajima.

22 minutes ago, villauk said:

I know it can feel very overwhelming, which is why the advice from the experts on here, such as @monkey@cruise and @Miaminice, is invaluable.

To answer your question, we were planning on taking the shorter ferry and train, however, we decided that we’d had enough of the heat after a few hours and caught the last high-speed ferry back to Hiroshima Port, which stopped off at the hotel first. When we purchased our ferry tickets initially, the person in the booth advised us not to buy the return ticket as the alternative route back would give us more time on the island; he said that the shorter ferries ran much later than the 5pm deadline for the high-speed back to the Port of Hiroshima. There’s lots going on in Mirajima.

Thank you for that information.  I have also relied on @monkey@cruise and @Miaminice and also @DaKahuna to answer a lot of my questions and to pick their brains.  They are all very helpful & truly enjoy helping out....thank goodness for them and to people like you and @Lunastella for your recent live reports! We are looking forward to boarding Millennium - 31 days & counting 💃🚢!!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Now I have a screen shot of yours, so I know they exist!  

Keep in mind that those may have been provided by the Retreat Concierge but i would be surprised if they did not have something at Guest Services.   We also sometimes found useful maps and literature at the info booths in the terminals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Thank you for that information.  I have also relied on @monkey@cruise and @Miaminice and also @DaKahuna to answer a lot of my questions and to pick their brains.  They are all very helpful & truly enjoy helping out....thank goodness for them and to people like you and @Lunastella for your recent live reports! We are looking forward to boarding Millennium - 31 days & counting 💃🚢!!!

Most cruise ships will eventually docking at Port Hiroshima Ujina because the area is more spacious. Yesterday we docked at Ujina wharf at 1pm and took the shuttle to Hiroshima Port, sunset time was 6:30pm, anyone who wishes to do Miyajima and Peace Park more likely “bite the bullet” to maximize the daylight times. We were on the same Miyajima ferry with 3 Celebrity groups, lucky I didn’t join the shore excursion, they were like cattle herds. The $$$ I saved, had a Japanese Oyster set lunch and Japanese curry oyster buns.

Edited by monkey@cruise
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1