Not-quite-Live < limited > cruise journal: QE (Q427) Alaska cruise: 10 night, 30 Aug – 9 Sep 2024 plus Vancouver pre & post

mking8288

Sitka, Alaska ... heading in, 2 small ships ahead.  Sea state calming down overnight.

PXL_20240906_152343474.thumb.jpg.2963de7198cefc9e5197df57077b5bca.jpg

PXL_20240906_152333061.thumb.jpg.bb0e9d59ad139a491956f4e66fb0eaa7.jpg

PXL_20240906_152348927.thumb.jpg.e31277f58e73f38d9003675d06bd9768.jpg

PXL_20240906_152754193.thumb.jpg.62a6f9a1142981f82669b9cdd728a543.jpg

Light breakfast inside our balcony cabin this morning 🌄 

PXL_20240906_150451314.thumb.jpg.af4c9742f1b29a227a81cc8b681f6947.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2

Royal Court Theater last night's 10 PM show, "Hollywood" with 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's popular musics sang - about 35 minutes in length ...  Plenty of seats, maybe 60% filled at most. 

PXL_20240906_054324502.thumb.jpg.99632336a7ecc3bbe0edfb9ff8afa392.jpg

PXL_20240906_054346199.thumb.jpg.60531e1f9ba96b3f977eed9e3df1c5fe.jpg

PXL_20240906_054428861.thumb.jpg.716b561adcc0ad510c0a2d1a608d9a31.jpg

Collage_2024-09-05_23_54_15.thumb.jpg.ee0a518b9402a64ad52b8dcb265cc115.jpg

Collage_2024-09-05_23_56_44.thumb.jpg.c5d5b451020748884974f62fbda96586.jpg

Saturday Night Fever dancing and My Heart will Go On ...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

... Those of us in the Haven wander down to the Observation Lounge (on ships so equipped) to have Afternoon Tea with the steerage class. There are no such offering in the upper NCL "grills." 🤡 ...

Once Dirty Harry is done w the OL, maybe the loungers and long sofa will be gone, and we won't have to sanitize the surface after the bare-footed hogs leave for dinner. 

That's one of the few things we missed 😆 from NCL, and the towel animals ... oh, wait. I will take evening turndown service instead plus the chocolate, and the white gloved afternoon tea, daily over the butler's daily treat of cookies & yummy bears.

BTW, housekeeping are out & about, around 7:30 again this morning, setting up their carts and positioning supplies, ready for cleaning the cabins ... this is Cunard, I suppose the bars & standards are a bit higher, definitely different.

Have you started comparing prices between the Grills and Haven ?  Here, we almost feel like doing Haven Lite 🤫🫢😉 Let's keep this chatting low key or else after the 2 upcoming Royal Caribbean cruises, by the time I get warmed up again to the NCL cruise next Spring ... the schmoopie clan will revoke our membership. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Once Dirty Harry is done w the OL, maybe the loungers and long sofa will be gone, and we won't have to sanitize the surface after the bare-footed hogs leave for dinner. 

That's one of the few things we missed 😆 from NCL, and the towel animals ... oh, wait. I will take evening turndown service instead plus the chocolate, and the white gloved afternoon tea, daily over the butler's daily treat of cookies & yummy bears.

BTW, housekeeping are out & about, around 7:30 again this morning, setting up their carts and positioning supplies, ready for cleaning the cabins ... this is Cunard, I suppose the bars & standards are a bit higher, definitely different.

Have you started comparing prices between the Grills and Haven ?  Here, we almost feel like doing Haven Lite 🤫🫢😉 Let's keep this chatting low key or else after the 2 upcoming Royal Caribbean cruises, by the time I get warmed up again to the NCL cruise next Spring ... the schmoopie clan will revoke our membership. 

Oh, I have been watching Grills pricing for the last year or so. It seems to be (mostly) a bit higher than what we pay to stay in the Haven (we don't get the Deluxe Owner's Suite). I have not convinced my dear husband that Cunard is a possibility for us. Too formal for him, whereas I relish raising eyebrows with my on-theme dress (ala my ice white suit with blue trim) or the very red and gold suit I found. I won't post again as I don't want your live to turn into a debate. See, I'm very considerate haha

I would take the extra pampering Cunard styles itself on, especially as I get older. Camping in a tent for days on end or in the back of the car still happens (and will in three weeks), but I know I'll grow out of that sooner than later. My younger than me husband has already almost grown out of it haha!! 

I'd take afternoon tea over the gummy bears and cookies (blech on cruise line cookies anyway - they're too baked. I like my ooey and gooey). White gloves? Meh, I don't need that! I can't say I'd take evening service in the room as our Haven experiences have always had that (we don't always take advantage, though). 

We could never revoke your membership from the schmoops!!! You're one of the OG's - at least to me, since I came around these parts in 2022. 

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We are docked, engines full stopped ... 8:25 AM and waiting for local clearance to go ashore.

20240906_082535.thumb.jpg.5419488dd9d0e05cefdfdbdfa18e7c1b.jpg

20240906_082614.thumb.jpg.c669cd7101af5e275617ec5e08d3c7fb.jpg

20240906_082702.thumb.jpg.bc96fd3513410fcd49b8f55c7397a185.jpg

20240906_082549.thumb.jpg.989ff8f67a0f84f6ba8c8bb0a22cc5ca.jpg

Per info posted on the Daily, there is a free shuttle into town's shopping area, 15 minutes away.

Where are you, OK Google 

Screenshot_20240906_083227_Maps.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Screenshot_20240906_083421_Maps_1.jpg

Oh, yes please!!

Now, seriously - I know it's probably lame not to see the sun for a few days in a row, however your photos are absolutely bomb! Landscapes with fog are phenomenal and you're capturing the true essence of Alaska in your photos. Thank you! It's really fantastic to travel along and see the shoreline as you are from aboard the ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While you are off the ship, I bribed your steward to kidnap him for me.  He is now in my custody.  Ransom to be paid in NCL CN certificates.  Asking $1,000,000 worth so I can book one trip in the Haven on a 7 day trip - for my convenience of course, sail and sustain, based on guest feedback.

snoopy.jpg

Edited by dexddd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, dexddd said:

News in lower 48, FBI raids aids' homes to your mayor.

And.... the Queens-Midtown Tunnel was temporarily shut down because water was leaking into the tunnel due to a drilling mistake. No reason to panic at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

And.... the Queens-Midtown Tunnel was temporarily shut down because water was leaking into the tunnel due to a drilling mistake. No reason to panic at all.

Ooooops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 9/3/2024 at 9:22 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Hot dang you had me at baked potato bar on the buffet! At least that's what it looked like. It's amazing how fond of baked spuds I am. Throw some cheese sauce, bacon, butter, and sour cream together and I'm a happy man.

Then you would be very unhappy.  They had none of that.  Instead there was chili and baked beans, because Cunard is geared to a British clientele.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

Then you would be very unhappy.  They had none of that.  Instead there was chili and baked beans, because Cunard is geared to a British clientele.

You might think that, but the British, some of whom are actually quite keen on baked potatoes, might think it is quite American, or perhaps mid-Atlantic. After all the prices are in dollars. I certainly don’t think chilli and baked beans is remotely a British dish. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

And.... the Queens-Midtown Tunnel ... No reason to panic at all.

Internet here is largely offline, except here at the Fortress of the Bear

This is for you 

20240906_114331.jpg

20240906_092906.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/31/2024 at 8:25 PM, mking8288 said:

PXL_20240831_115343_043541.thumb.jpg.8e95d2d791577a3f07d1f5f4f7e7e305.jpg

17 minutes ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

I see why you would say this, however I do see some yummy sour cream and cheese on our dear sweet baking potato. There was gravy from the kangaroo loin (I think it was from kangaroo). I could douse it in that too. Lots of ways to make a potato yummy! Chili wouldn't be a bad option either. Mmmmm, maybe I'll have a baked potato tonight for din din! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

While you are off the ship, I bribed your steward to kidnap him for me.  He is now in my custody.  Ransom to be paid in NCL CN certificates ... 

snoopy.jpg

Hahaha ... I am going to see if I can get some help 

20240906_113516.thumb.jpg.50fdf4d3eb3b71f7a1b12206a2164cad.jpg

Standby - for posts & photos - until station Zebra can find Starlink WiFi when we get back onboard

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You might think that, but the British, some of whom are actually quite keen on baked potatoes, might think it is quite American, or perhaps mid-Atlantic. After all the prices are in dollars. I certainly don’t think chilli and baked beans is remotely a British dish. 

Americans don't put baked beans on potatoes (and we definitely do not put them on toast). Some do like chili, but it's not a standard topping.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

Americans don't put baked beans on potatoes (and we definitely do not put them on toast). Some do like chili, but it's not a standard topping.

Probably the same here. I only put butter on baked potatoes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I have not convinced my dear husband that Cunard is a possibility for us. Too formal for him, whereas I relish raising eyebrows with my on-theme dress (ala my ice white suit with blue trim) or the very red and gold suit I found.

Although neither Cunard nor its passengers would welcome someone like me, I do hope you will sail on Cunard one day and provide another glimpse into this world I can only peek in like a voyeur.

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I see why you would say this, however I do see some yummy sour cream and cheese on our dear sweet baking potato. There was gravy from the kangaroo loin (I think it was from kangaroo). I could douse it in that too. Lots of ways to make a potato yummy! Chili wouldn't be a bad option either. Mmmmm, maybe I'll have a baked potato tonight for din din! 

I was surprised to learn that chili is of British origin. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Although neither Cunard nor its passengers would welcome someone like me, I do hope you will sail on Cunard one day and provide another glimpse into this world I can only peek in like a voyeur.

Why would you not be welcome? Cunard is actually very welcoming.

According to,Wikipedia chilli is of Mexican then Texan origin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

I mix them with my potato salad. Mayo and mustard-based tater salad! 

24 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

It's not. The point I was trying to make is that the British have different ideas about what goes on a baked potato (or as they would call it, a jacket potato) than Americans do.  As an American I expected to see butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, and chives, but I didn't.

24 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I mix them with my potato salad. Mayo and mustard-based tater salad! 

Mix what? Baked beans?

• Like 1