RCCL's Roatan excursions; which to choose

We've been to Roatan once and did the monkey/sloth/iguana tour. Considering one of the beach excursions for January 2025 -- Maya Key, Tabyana, or Sol y Mar. We are looking to sit in the shade (mostly), get in the water, but generally just relax. Food and drink would be good but we don't necessarily want a lot of loud music, etc. Also we only want a ship excursion that will pick up right where we get off the ship; no taxis, etc. The descriptions of these three seem to indicate that you'll disembark the ship and meet the excursion there at the dock or perhaps just on the other side of the shopping area which is where we met the sloth tour last year. I saw a video on the tube of you with some folks going to Maya Key, which looked nice but it seemed like they walked a lonnnnggg way once they got to MK to find a beach spot, but maybe that's because they wanted to get farther away from the entrance.  

I feel like I'm rambling -- HA!! - but the list is: ship excursion only, no taxis, no crazy party atmosphere, lunch and drinks welcome but not required, and not a half-mile walk to actually get to the beach/water.  

We did Maya Key this past March.  It was nice and convenient.  The ferry takes you across.  The walk to the beach isn't far from what I remember.  It's not a huge beach, but it was fine and lots of lounge chairs.  We were in Roatan before and found the beach we went to in a previous Rotan trip in 2019 was nicer with softer sand (I think it was West Bay Beach).  The area was roped off, I guess where it was safe for swimming.

Even though it wasn't the best Roatan beach, we enjoyed Maya Key.  The buffet lunch was really tasty, but you couldn't go back for seconds).  They also have a pool if you want to switch.  I liked the place too as they have other things going on such as scheduled animal feedings, and we did a good walking tour where we saw some rescued animals and historical talk.  So it was a good mix of a day.

38 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

We did Maya Key this past March.  It was nice and convenient.  The ferry takes you across.  The walk to the beach isn't far from what I remember.  It's not a huge beach, but it was fine and lots of lounge chairs.  We were in Roatan before and found the beach we went to in a previous Rotan trip in 2019 was nicer with softer sand (I think it was West Bay Beach).  The area was roped off, I guess where it was safe for swimming.

Even though it wasn't the best Roatan beach, we enjoyed Maya Key.  The buffet lunch was really tasty, but you couldn't go back for seconds).  They also have a pool if you want to switch.  I liked the place too as they have other things going on such as scheduled animal feedings, and we did a good walking tour where we saw some rescued animals and historical talk.  So it was a good mix of a day.

What kind of animals?

23 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

What kind of animals?

There were many.  There were parrots (in the open) and then things in cages like monkeys, leopards, and some others I don't remember what they are ...so have posted a few. 🙂

20240314_132730.jpg

20240314_133129.jpg

We are huge fans of Tabyana Beach, but we always go with the goal of snorkeling.  We were just there on Thursday on Wonder and booked through Royal. Transportation was prompt (the drive was a bit crazy because of a bunch of reckless people riding scooters/motorcycles).  The beach itself is very quiet, beautiful, lots of palms, crystal clear water, great staff.  Our excursion included lunch and there is a bar for drinks. Easy walk from the bathroom, shower, food to the beach. Plus it was very nice, they had security sitting watching your chairs & belongings if you needed to step away. They also have lockers.

If you’re considering snorkeling at all — it is honestly breathtakingly amazing. Huge reef right off the beach, probably right off of all of the beaches? I think the reef circles the island.  The snorkel staff at Tabyana is assigned to your group and they guide you out to the reef and show you around, explain best practices, etc. VERY attentive. Perfect for us because our daughter was just learning to snorkel.

We’ve been to the same beach/resort for the past almost 20 years 😅 (doesn’t feel that long!). They now work REALLY hard to keep the vendors that walk the beach offering shirts, sunglasses, food, etc. AWAY from their guests. Last trip in 2019 it was mobbed. This time it was beautifully serene. 

I don’t think you can make a bad choice, but Roatan *is* one port where we usually stick with ship tours. Good luck!  Oof, sorry I wrote a novel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

There were many.  There were parrots (in the open) and then things in cages like monkeys, leopards, and some others I don't remember what they are ...so have posted a few. 🙂

Thank you.  🙂 

• Like 1