Newby Questions

Having sailed only once on NCL, and that was twenty years ago, I have a couple questions.  We have four prepaid  specialty dinners on our upcoming Sun cruise.  The web site states some meals are charged ala carte. How does that work?  When filling out are request for e-docs we were giving a boarding time of 9:30 to 10:00 am,  Web site states boarding does not begin until 12 noon. So, how does that work? I know that it will all work out,  but I am curious.  Thanks...

You’ll get a credit that will essentially cover the ala carte charge for app, entree and dessert, in my experience.  As far as boarding…the 930 time is when you can show up at the pier.  You’ll drop your luggage, check in at the desk, get your cards, and then wait for the boarding to begin, when you’ll clear security and embark.  As you said, it will work out!

35 minutes ago, Erntrish4 said:

You’ll get a credit that will essentially cover the ala carte charge for app, entree and dessert, in my experience.

Kind of.  You simply go to the a-la-carte restaurants (recommend making reservations) and they will tell you what you're allowed on the dining plan.  In the past (as recent as January) it's app, soup or salad, entree, dessert are fully covered.

37 minutes ago, Erntrish4 said:

when you’ll clear security

By this I assume you mean security at the ship?  You typically clear security between dropping your bags and checking in at the desk.

Just now, hallux said:

Kind of.  You simply go to the a-la-carte restaurants (recommend making reservations) and they will tell you what you're allowed on the dining plan.  In the past (as recent as January) it's app, soup or salad, entree, dessert are fully covered.

By this I assume you mean security at the ship?  You typically clear security between dropping your bags and checking in at the desk.

My most recent experience was Escape in Venice (aka Trieste) late June.  No security before check-in.  X-ray and magnetometer screening was after shoreside desks and before gangway, but in the terminal.  Likely widely varies port to port.

1 hour ago, Erntrish4 said:

My most recent experience was Escape in Venice (aka Trieste) late June.  No security before check-in.  X-ray and magnetometer screening was after shoreside desks and before gangway, but in the terminal.  Likely widely varies port to port.

It certainly varies port to port and sometimes between different terminals within the same port.

1 hour ago, Erntrish4 said:

Likely widely varies port to port.

More likely country to country.  I've embarked in 3 US ports, all had the magnetometers and x-ray BEFORE the check-in desk, and every explanation you see from people talking about the process at other US ports indicates they're the same as my experience.

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

More likely country to country.  I've embarked in 3 US ports, all had the magnetometers and x-ray BEFORE the check-in desk, and every explanation you see from people talking about the process at other US ports indicates they're the same as my experience.

Not at Port Canaveral. 

5 hours ago, seaworthy1 said:

Having sailed only once on NCL, and that was twenty years ago, I have a couple questions.  We have four prepaid  specialty dinners on our upcoming Sun cruise.  The web site states some meals are charged ala carte. How does that work?  When filling out are request for e-docs we were giving a boarding time of 9:30 to 10:00 am,  Web site states boarding does not begin until 12 noon. So, how does that work? I know that it will all work out,  but I am curious.  Thanks...

At a la carte restaurants, you are allowed one appetizer, one soup/salad, one entree, and one dessert. You would also get sauces and side dishes in restaurant where they are available (like Cagney’s). 

This is an example from a couple of nights ago

IMG_8760.thumb.jpeg.54602a4250699ebc8fe82f643e1197a8.jpegIMG_8761.thumb.jpeg.01c8f29374c9239d4c852e6d7e31939a.jpeg

The edocs give you a time to arrive at the port Not a boarding time. Boarding typically starts around 11:00 am for suites, 11:15 for priority passengers, and 11:30 for general boarding. By noon, most people have had a drink (or two) and are enjoying lunch. 

• Like 2