P&O insurance for non UK residents

Ludo84

Hi

Going a norwegian fjords cruise on Iona this Saturday with kids and mother. Kids and myself are UK residents and have insurance.

My mum is french and french resident. She has cruise cover with her bank, but terms seem to differ from UK travel insurance. 

Has anyone had similar experience and could give some advice? Shall I get my mum a UK travel insurance for non UK residents?

Just trying to avoid being denied boarding because her proof of insurance is in french or with terms not in line...

Thanks   

Very rarely in my experience is insurance checked at check-in, but with her having a French passport it may just trigger something and it be checked. Whether she would be denied boarding is something I don't know but personally I would not want to take the risk.

So in answer to

28 minutes ago, Ludo84 said:

Shall I get my mum a UK travel insurance for non UK residents?

my answer would be yes

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would think Yes to be on the safe side. But ring P&O and get it from them, and then in writing* just to cover your backs so you have no nasty surprises at check-in. 

*with several cruise queries (various companies) and other non-cruise things, I often ask the agent to email me confirmation of what has been confirmed etc while I stay on the line and check I have received it before I hang up. Ready to show if the situation arises: it did once with some Covid pre boarding regulation discrepancies a few years back - at check-in the agent flagged things up as an issue for boarding, but I showed them the email and it was fine. Not that you should have to do this, but belts and braces!

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

We live in the Netherlands and just asked our health insurer and travel insurer to write a cover letter stating that we had appropriate insurance for the journey and were covered for the countries visited on the cruise. No-one actually checked the letter but we did have it just in case.

Thanks all for the replies. I finally managed to clarify her current travel insurance and it actually does not cover repatriation from cruise ship to main land... (which is pretty much the main reason for the cruise specific insurance). Only annoying thing is that the only UK cruise insurance for non UK residents I can find is around EUR100. I guess considering the overall price of the cruise, it is not that much.. 

1 hour ago, Ludo84 said:

Thanks all for the replies. I finally managed to clarify her current travel insurance and it actually does not cover repatriation from cruise ship to main land... (which is pretty much the main reason for the cruise specific insurance). Only annoying thing is that the only UK cruise insurance for non UK residents I can find is around EUR100. I guess considering the overall price of the cruise, it is not that much.. 

it would be considerably more if you had to pay the costs yourself. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, I've been following this thread with interest as am in a similar position.  Are you able to share where you got the policy from at all?

57 minutes ago, Weebo15 said:

Thanks for the update, I've been following this thread with interest as am in a similar position.  Are you able to share where you got the policy from at all?

On 8/21/2024 at 1:25 PM, Ludo84 said:

Absolutely, I bought the policy, have a lighter wallet but peace of mind now.

Thanks

My partner cruised P&O with a French and Finnish passports respectively and that did not trigger anything. We did bring a letter from our German insurance saying they cover all medical expenses with no limit, including evacuation by air, but no one checked it.

Before buying a UK insurance for non-UK residents, which looks very costly, I would check if local insurers have a cheaper package that covers everything that is needed

1 hour ago, bbtablet said:

Oh! for the days when travel insurance only cost me £100!

Never get old!

Try the Nationwide flex plus account, which comes with free worldwide travel insurance, for the £13 per month account fee. Plus of course extra cost for pre-existing medical conditions, which are far less costly than the average. Plus free Europe wide breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Try the Nationwide flex plus account, which comes with free worldwide travel insurance, for the £13 per month account fee. Plus of course extra cost for pre-existing medical conditions, which are far less costly than the average. Plus free Europe wide breakdown cover and mobile phone insurance.

The medical conditions upgrade will cover you for the year, however, there are also additional upgrade costs for cruise cover and extended cover for holidays over 31 days, both of which have to be done for each cruise/holiday. There is also an extra upgrade for increased cover for cancelling or coming home early. Having said all that we have still found it to be good value.

1 minute ago, Devon born and bred said:

The medical conditions upgrade will cover you for the year, however, there are also additional upgrade costs for cruise cover and extended cover for holidays over 31 days, both of which have to be done for each cruise/holiday. There is also an extra upgrade for increased cover for cancelling or coming home early. Having said all that we have still found it to be good value.

Just to be clear for people. Cover for cruises is covered. It is the extra add on cruise benefits you pay for as on most travel insurances. 

• Like 1