Will there be a chance to explore the departure port?

This was a picture I took from the ship earlier this year at Lisbon. The picture was taken at 1.20pm on a day with sail away at 4pm (so all aboard was just over 30 minutes away. The queue of people you can see went up some ramps at the side of the terminal building, around the front, and then continued for a little further after it disappeared behind the trees on the left. I understand that the queueing time to just enter the terminal was considerably more than an hour. We were a few hours late sailing away.

It looks like people in the queue mainly just have hand luggage, which suggests that people were able to get to the luggage drop off point before joining the queue, so at least dropping off luggage and heading into town would probably be an option, but checking in and then wandering off would be tricky.

If the OP is with others then they could probably head off and get and a fridge magnet whilst the others queue.

I believe from comments that I read before our cruise that these queues are not unusual.

IMG_0372.png

• Like 1

@Legodude_uk please disregard most of the above answers … I looked at your profile and saw that you’re on Oct 6 Getaway TA from Lisbon to the US … and the ship departs at 4pm!

You will not have time to sightsee - you’ll need to go directly to the cruise terminal and check in as it will take a long time as the Portuguese officials do take their time checking people’s passports and also the check in desks also have to recheck the passports for ESTA and US visas. Plus there’s security to go thru. If it was a normal Med cruise it’d be better, but not this time as you’re going to the US.

We were on the Viva TA from Lisbon to the US last year and it was a nightmare checking in. Fortunately we are Diamonds that we were able to bypass the long snaking queue (after the Portuguese officials’ passport checks and the security checks) to the check in desks. 

I just had a look at your itinerary - methinks they’ll need to see if you can enter Canada. 

Keep a straight face and enjoy!

P.P.S. Make sure you have both valid ESTA and eTA (Canadian).

Our Viva was some hours late leaving Lisbon because a few hundred pax didn’t have ESTA and had to apply and pay for it online while in the terminal. 🤦🏼‍♀️.

2 hours ago, Legodude_uk said:

As mentioned it is booked as part of the package so NCL will make sure we get on board...

Don’t make this assumption. If you are late the ship MAY wait, or you might just be left behind. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

P.P.S. Make sure you have both valid ESTA and eTA (Canadian).

Our Viva was some hours late leaving Lisbon because a few hundred pax didn’t have ESTA and had to apply and pay for it online while in the terminal. 🤦🏼‍♀️.

They shouldn't need an eTA, as they are arriving by Sea. However, I don't trust there not to be some jobsworth who causes a problem, se we have just applied for them for our New England cruise just in case.

The biggest ESTA problem that I have encountered on a ship is that people haven't got paper copies (never been required in the US as they show up for the immigration staff), but the cruise check in staff will want to see evidence. I remember there being a big problem once because of all the people that, whilst they had ESTA's they couldn't prove it.

Edited by KeithJenner

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

This was a picture I took from the ship earlier this year at Lisbon. The picture was taken at 1.20pm on a day with sail away at 4pm (so all aboard was just over 30 minutes away. The queue of people you can see went up some ramps at the side of the terminal building, around the front, and then continued for a little further after it disappeared behind the trees on the left. I understand that the queueing time to just enter the terminal was considerably more than an hour. We were a few hours late sailing away.

It looks like people in the queue mainly just have hand luggage, which suggests that people were able to get to the luggage drop off point before joining the queue, so at least dropping off luggage and heading into town would probably be an option, but checking in and then wandering off would be tricky.

If the OP is with others then they could probably head off and get and a fridge magnet whilst the others queue.

I believe from comments that I read before our cruise that these queues are not unusual.

IMG_0372.png