Which path (Rhine southbound)?

Duudeman

We will be on Avalon going from Amsterdam to Basel next year and see the path that ships go through when leaving Amsterdam but what I didn't know was if they leave the canal and travel on the Nederrijn and go by Arnhem or travel on the Waal by Nijmengen to get to the Rhine. Anyone know?

• Like 2

No idea which course our AMA cruise did leaving Amsterdam for Basel.  The ship sailed while we were off tilting at windmills, and we rejoined it when it was already in Wiljk bin Duurstede, where the canal crosses the Nederijn River – but we may have continued on the canal to the Waal before turning East [we were still jet lagged, so it was nap time!]

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Duudeman said:

We will be on Avalon going from Amsterdam to Basel next year and see the path that ships go through when leaving Amsterdam but what I didn't know was if they leave the canal and travel on the Nederrijn and go by Arnhem or travel on the Waal by Nijmengen to get to the Rhine. Anyone know?

Last year on a Travelmarvel Rhine-Danube cruise the ship travelled via Utrecht on "Amsterdam-Rijnkannal" crossing the Lek to the Waal. Looking on cruisemapper today Avalon Expression is en route to Basel having sailed that route.

• Like 1

We have sailed AMS to Basle with Viking.  Im almost sure we went via the Waal.

It no doubt depends on your exact stops.  If like us you go to Kinderdijk, first stop, you need to enter a canal system.  From there it was Koblenz wnd onward south.    

• Like 1

When we sailed A--B in 2019, on Day 2 we visited Kinderdijk in the morning, then had an afternoon of sailing (our "sea half-day").  I was tracking us on my tablet and we were in the Waal for most of the time, heading towards the Rhine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Jazz you’d be just a tad off course and in Spain according to Cervantes.

Cervantes can tilt at windmills wherever he likes.  I did it in Holland.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...  😁

• Thanks 1