YVRteacher’s dad is on a cruise! Live from the Jewel Aug 19- Sept 2, 2024

Yvonne....I am so sorry to hear of your issues on this leg of your trip.  This is a top down management problem.  It's never good when crew is lying about issues.  That means either no one is giving them the truth and/or they have the truth but don't want to suffer the ire when they provide it to the guests.  Fix it and there will be no ire.

I hope it gets better.  But, I would certainly make some noise about it with someone in management on board.

Do they still have the GM's phone number posted somewhere in your cabin?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Today is day 5 with a non-working toilet. They have told me three times it is “fixed.”

I met with the Guest Services Manager, Emil, today. He offered $200 compensation which I did not accept. The GM, Fabrice, is aware of all my concerns and has done absolutely nothing. 

We have two more days on the Jewel and are not likely to ever sail on her again.

• Like 13

I want to add that we are both doing great. We have loved every port despite the rain and have laughed so much on this trip. We are not miserable and we are not having a bad time.

• Like 21

29 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I want to add that we are both doing great. We have loved every port despite the rain and have laughed so much on this trip. We are not miserable and we are not having a bad time.

So glad to hear it.

Are you ready to go back to Princess for your next cruise?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

We were so clearly next and the representative went to the man behind us. I said we are next. The guest services rep said “we always start from the back.”

This is the most asinine thing I have ever read.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Today is day 5 with a non-working toilet. They have told me three times it is “fixed.”

I’m so sorry to hear that. Where are they sending you and your Dad while they aren’t working? My husband says it sounds like crappy situation. 

I loved your Seward photos and it is my favorite port! I look forward to reading your comments on Hubbard Glacier. Enjoy your final days of making great memories with your Dad! 😀 It’s so good to hear all your service and food issues aren’t ruining your time with him. It sounds like this may be your last NCL cruise for awhile? 

Edited by Seas2mountains
  • Like 2

So...in your estimation, which ship was worse...the Regal or the Jewel?

I'm old and can't remember all of the issues with the Regal, but to me, the Jewel sounds worse...especially "service" wise.

It's strange because we recently had our best cruise ever on the Jade, Jewel's sister ship. Especially the food and the service...all top-notch. It's sad to see that the Jewel could be so much worse than her sister.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm old and can't remember all of the issues with the Regal, but to me, the Jewel sounds worse...especially "service" wise.

It's strange because we recently had our best cruise ever on the Jade, Jewel's sister ship. Especially the food and the service...all top-notch. It's sad to see that the Jewel could be so much worse than her sister.

Food issues and service issues are usually totally depended on the staff on board at that particular moment-- rotation to a different GM and Food & Beverage (and maybe the Captain) can make a huge difference.

• Like 1

A new, different, GM can make a world of difference in the hotel area. Thankfully I have not had to interface with any GM as their underlings have taken care of any problems I have had. 

Last year on the Jewel we had toilet issues too, our room steward saw it it that the issue was fixed while we were on shore, both him and our butler let us know it was fixed when we got back. This was last summer on the Jewel in cabin 10666.

It sounds like you are not letting these things get you down. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 days without a working toilet in your cabin…that is uncalled for. Sounds like the Jewel has maintenance and service issues. We were fortunate to encounter none of that on our sailing on the Jewel this spring. NCL needs to get its act together. 

• Like 1

Holy moley, sounds like the cruise from hell. Ship-wise and staff-wise. After our joint May experience, I wasn’t in any hurry to cruise again. My Rich just isn’t up to it so it didn’t bother me that much. But, my daughter/grands are talking 2025. Debating about Princess instead. ML

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:30 AM, graphicguy said:

Yvonne....I am so sorry to hear of your issues on this leg of your trip.  This is a top down management problem.  It's never good when crew is lying about issues.  That means either no one is giving them the truth and/or they have the truth but don't want to suffer the ire when they provide it to the guests.  Fix it and there will be no ire.

I hope it gets better.  But, I would certainly make some noise about it with someone in management on board.

Do they still have the GM's phone number posted somewhere in your cabin?

I agree with you completely. I have had meetings with the Guest Services manager and the General Manager.

I have documented everything and will be sharing here. 

I’m just behind because the wifi is dreadful. 

• Like 4

On 8/30/2024 at 6:04 PM, Seas2mountains said:

I’m so sorry to hear that. Where are they sending you and your Dad while they aren’t working? My husband says it sounds like crappy situation. 

I loved your Seward photos and it is my favorite port! I look forward to reading your comments on Hubbard Glacier. Enjoy your final days of making great memories with your Dad! 😀 It’s so good to hear all your service and food issues aren’t ruining your time with him. It sounds like this may be your last NCL cruise for awhile? 

Our cabin is on deck 11 forward so the most convenient bathrooms are the ones on deck 13 outside Spinnaker. We are also in the routine of going to the spa most evenings before bed and there are very clean bathrooms there.

After reading your post I realized that this visit to Seward could not be my last! Like you, I love Seward. Have you been to Exit glacier? I haven’t been there.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

The Jewel has been declining steadily over the last two years. Our challenges on the Jewel are far worse than anything I experienced on the Regal. On the Regal my cabin was stinky and not clean on embarkation day. I wrote a letter to guest services and the next day I had a $500 future cruise credit. I did not ask for any compensation yet it was efficiently given. The problem was addressed that first evening. Princess did a far superior job with resolution and customer care.

I’m so glad you had a great cruise on the Jade! All my cruises on the Jade have been excellent as well. She is doing the Vancouver to Whittier Alaskan run next summer! 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, www3traveler said:

Food issues and service issues are usually totally depended on the staff on board at that particular moment-- rotation to a different GM and Food & Beverage (and maybe the Captain) can make a huge difference.

The captain has nothing to do with food or service. This falls under the hotel department managers including GM, Food and Beverage Manager and Restaurant Manager. It also has a lot to do with the training and experience of the chefs, sous chefs, waiters and Maître ds for each restaurant.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, libtrek said:

Holy moley, sounds like the cruise from hell. Ship-wise and staff-wise. After our joint May experience, I wasn’t in any hurry to cruise again. My Rich just isn’t up to it so it didn’t bother me that much. But, my daughter/grands are talking 2025. Debating about Princess instead. ML

You will love Princess! If you like the smaller ships try the Island!

On 8/30/2024 at 7:15 PM, YVRteacher said:

I met with the Guest Services Manager, Emil, today. He offered $200 compensation which I did not accept. The GM, Fabrice, is aware of all my concerns and has done absolutely nothing. 

We have two more days on the Jewel and are not likely to ever sail on her again.

When an ambassador is treated this way NCL has definitely lost the plot. I wonder if they feel there is more money in one and done.We have switched from NCL to MSC Yacht club and will stay with them unless their quality also starts going down hill.thanks for taking us along. Glad to read you and your dad have had fun!

• Like 5

This might work today! I have been trying for days to post a photo with no success.

IMG_4247.thumb.jpeg.0eba9a0d96977764c8a1b3a5c945a1f8.jpeg

We are onboard the small boat excursion to view Hubbard Glacier up close with 148 other passengers. At 150 people x various amounts over $350 depending on latitudes discounts and the $50 shore ex discount this is  an profitable excursion for NCL. Our captain is Jen and our naturalist is the same person we had last year, Nicole from San Diego. The crew for this boat live at Yakutat and it takes them 90 minutes to reach their first cruise ship each morning.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Like last week, the weather did not cooperate for Hubbard. 

This was our view from the Jewel

IMG_4225.thumb.jpeg.cecf7b9cadb301da7e2083b8ffc4cca8.jpeg

As we drew closer to the magnificent glacier I took rainy photos of bergy bits and growlers

IMG_4854.thumb.jpeg.e7e8c4fef0d486ec2e004944d40d0e2a.jpeg

we are getting closer

IMG_4230.thumb.jpeg.101432cab763241e8590f65cdead0036.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

While the heavy rain made for a cold and wet afternoon on a boat, the upside is we were treated to multiple thunderous calvings. Dad stayed inside where he was warm and cozy while I was outside most of the time. I have a protective plastic sleeve for my phone. 

IMG_4258.thumb.jpeg.2e8aa82c8e2a17f02fb127af89b188f7.jpeg

IMG_4259.thumb.jpeg.0b8b2db3f6aaa2699c6a166017d732fb.jpeg

IMG_4260.thumb.jpeg.3c87ee36222958bb6de097861834f2d3.jpeg

IMG_4261.thumb.jpeg.e4af7c8ce89cf19a5ec0bb7ef62f131c.jpeg

IMG_4262.thumb.jpeg.f2533cfc47d8881794a5e988ade4b42b.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2