QE Alaska Cruise 22 July to 1 Aug. 2024

Host Hattie
This post was recognized by Host Hattie!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage your to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well."

david,Mississauga was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

We had been on the Alaska cruise on each of the previous three years that the QE has been doing  these. It was not our intention to do another so soon, but when Cunard said they were relocating the QE to Seattle as of 2015 we thought this might be the last opportunity.  I won’t go into the long list of reasons why I prefer cruises based in Vancouver over Seattle.

For the purposes of limiting risk with our travel insurance we had to wait until my consultant declared me to be stable.  That was at 2:30 on a day in April and, having advised our travel agent of our intentions; an hour later we were booked on the QE.  The fare was heavily discounted, so even though we didn’t get the usual Grills perks of generous OBC, drinks package and paid gratuities we saved a lot.  It was our fifth time on the QE, the second in QG. The first cruise of the five was to Norway.

On a previous discussion about embarkation in Vancouver I mentioned how easy it was.  A lot of that (but not all) was due to my wife needing a wheelchair to handle the long distances on two levels and possible long queues.  A notice handed out at check-in said that staterooms would be available by 1:15, but ours was ready on embarkation at 12:15.

When we reached the suite there was only one voyage card in the envelope, notwithstanding it being addressed to both of us.  I went to the purser’s office where a friendly clerk apologised and quickly made up one for DW.  A short while later a purser phoned us to enquire if my good lady was on the ship because their records show she was not checked in.  This seemed strange because we both did on-line check-in 21 days prior, had our printed boarding passes processed at check-in, had them scanned at the entrance to the ship and scanned again when we went to our muster station.  When I explained this the chap had no idea what was going on.  This was a first.

We had splurged on Queens Grill last year so were spoiled and wanted the same experience.  I decided on a Q3 on Deck 4 to be close to the public rooms.  From our experience in a Deck 4 Britannia cabin a few trips back I knew that the Deck 4 balconies were deeper than on higher decks.  To me the Q3 was noticeably slightly larger than the Q4s.  The thicker support posts and the extra closet are a clue.

Some people don’t like the layout of these Penthouse suites on the Vistas.  There seem to be three complaints. Some people don’t like the angles, preferring their accommodation to be square or rectangular.  Some don’t like the division of the bathroom into two connected rooms with the whirlpool bath and shower stall separate from the sink and toilet.  Some don’t like the partial division of the suite with a curtain to span the gap, basically making two smaller rooms.  For the reasons many dislike them we love them.  For one thing, DW likes to have a nap most afternoons, so with the curtains drawn I had access to the loo, the balcony and the bar without disturbing her.

When we went to our first meal, the affable maître d’ Sandro remembered us from last year. He pointed to the table we had on that cruise and told us we would have a window table this time. It doesn’t get any better than this, we said to each other.  There was no shortage of staff in QG.  There was no longer any disappointment with some food items as we had on our first post-pandemic voyages.

We rarely attend the “big shows” in any ship’s theatre. I would prefer to endure root canal than suffer through singers shrieking into hand-held microphones and dancers jumping up and down and rolling about the stage to loud pop music. But there were two low-key shows we did attend and didn’t have to discreetly leave.  Our favourite after dinner entertainment was to sit on one of the three levels of the gorgeous Grand Lobby and listen to the string orchestra.  It was a pity there was no harpist on board.  This is the first time in about 15 voyages there has not been a harpist. The concierge said sometimes there is and sometimes there isn’t.

Because we can no longer purchase future cruise deposits, we made a booking for 2026 on the QV.  For several years we have wanted to experience the other Vista but never booked it.  It will mean flying round trip between Toronto and London, something we thoroughly dislike (flying one-way across the pond is bad enough) but I think it will be worth it.

I usually don’t mention the weather, but there has been much discussion about the bad weather on the previous cruise. Even the ship’s crew were still talking about it.  Although it rained overnight every night, it didn’t rain at all on any day. There were even some sunny days.  The daytime temperature never exceeded 15 C.  Knowing the horrid heat and humidly that would greet us on our return to the Toronto area, I loved every minute of it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

The thicker support posts and the extra closet are a clue.

Thanks for the positive review. The QG dining experience is treat that is hard to find at sea or land these days. 
Where is the extra closet placed on these deck 4 Q3’s? 

10 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Because we can no longer purchase future cruise deposits, we made a booking for 2026 on the QV.  For several years we have wanted to experience the other Vista but never booked it.  It will mean flying round trip between Toronto and London, something we thoroughly dislike (flying one-way across the pond is bad enough) but I think it will be worth it.

Thank you for the report. One thing to consider - if you have the time to break up the trip - is that Halifax NS has an Air Canada daytime service to London, day time in both directions, with sometimes only a 3 hour time difference, and at civilised times. So for those who struggle with 7 hour overnight flights from North America that's a stress-free option, though there are a few other daytime services. Even more niche is the service from St. Pierre to Paris, which is regarded as a domestic service.

10 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

We rarely attend the “big shows” in any ship’s theatre. I would prefer to endure root canal than suffer through singers shrieking into hand-held microphones and dancers jumping up and down and rolling about the stage to loud pop music.

A man after my own heart! I also avoid the shows like the plague. However, I did enjoy Bright Lights Society on QA.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NE John said:

Thanks for the positive review. The QG dining experience is treat that is hard to find at sea or land these days. 
Where is the extra closet placed on these deck 4 Q3’s? 

That closet is in the bedroom to the right of the set of drawers and cabinet that contains the safe. It would be more useful it was just inside the door of the suite. 

5 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Thank you for the report. One thing to consider - if you have the time to break up the trip - is that Halifax NS has an Air Canada daytime service to London, day time in both directions, with sometimes only a 3 hour time difference, and at civilised times. So for those who struggle with 7 hour overnight flights from North America that's a stress-free option, though there are a few other daytime services. Even more niche is the service from St. Pierre to Paris, which is regarded as a domestic service.

Thanks, Pushpit. I am aware of that  and will likely book it for next year when we take a QM2 crossing from Southampton to NY and on to Québec City.  It is a 737 Max with a domestic Business Class section.  Because they are not the sleeper seats that people expect on International routes, that section is sold as premium Economy. not Business. The fare seems reasonable - whether in $ or Aeroplan points.  Most of the time the same plane starts in Toronto at 06:05.  The add-on from Toronto to Halifax is often free.  An alternative is to fly the day before or even take the VIA Rail train to Halifax. 

At the senior officers party we met a woman who is in training for the future voyage sales office. She is from Halifax and talked to us about that day flight, which she has used several times.  For many years there was a day flight from Toronto to London on Wardair and later Air Canada, but no more.  We used that day flight a few times.  It was amazing how little jet lag there was compared to flying overnight. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Thanks, Pushpit. I am aware of that  and will likely book it for next year when we take a QM2 crossing from Southampton to NY and on to Québec City.  It is a 737 Max with a domestic Business Class section.  Because they are not the sleeper seats that people expect on International routes, that section is sold as premium Economy. not Business. The fare seems reasonable - whether in $ or Aeroplan points.  Most of the time the same plane starts in Toronto at 06:05.  The add-on from Toronto to Halifax is often free.  An alternative is to fly the day before or even take the VIA Rail train to Halifax. 

Yes Halifax is the home of Cunard in one sense, and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic will swallow up hours as you look at Cunard's menus from 100 years ago, with soups and desserts that have clearly gone out of fashion. So I would advocate a stay there for at least one night, I stayed at the Hotel Halifax, had a slow breakfast there, pottered around a bit, 20 minute trip to airport, 11 am departure, arrives London 9pm, and straight to bed at a Heathrow hotel.

For a few years the QM2 called at Halifax on two crossings per year  - two nights before or after New York.  We took a w/b crossing in 2014 and disembarked in Halifax. My mother, my wife's mother emigrated to Canada through Pier 21. I was touched to be able to recreate that crossing.  My father, father-in-law and some uncles embarked and disembarked troop ships at that pier during the second World War.  

Sadly, Halifax hasn't been a call on crossings for several years.  There are two calls a year on New York or Québec based cruises.   Many passengers on the QM2 visit the Maritime Museum.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When I buy Cunard Line, I'll put QM2 on a regular Liverpool-Halifax-Boston run. And QUEEN VICTORIA will do an annual Southampton-Greenland-Newfoundland-St. Lawrence roundtrip cruise.  Cunard would no longer just be associated historically with Canada, it would be integral to its operations as it was at the beginning. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

When I buy Cunard Line, I'll put QM2 on a regular Liverpool-Halifax-Boston run. And QUEEN VICTORIA will do an annual Southampton-Greenland-Newfoundland-St. Lawrence roundtrip cruise.  Cunard would no longer just be associated historically with Canada, it would be integral to its operations as it was at the beginning. 

Add Brooklyn and I’ll sign up!

@david,Mississauga What a great review David. I’m glad to hear QG was to your liking. We board in 22 days for our first time on QE. Short 3 day from Vancouver to San Fran to test her out. We’re signed up for a Q3 for Alaska in June 2025 if this short hop is to our liking. Love the Maritime Museum in Halifax and the whole St. Lawrence. We cruised it on Holland America many years ago and would love to repeat it on QV. @WantedOnVoyage get going on that Cunard ownership idea!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

For a few years the QM2 called at Halifax on two crossings per year  - two nights before or after New York.  We took a w/b crossing in 2014 and disembarked in Halifax. My mother, my wife's mother emigrated to Canada through Pier 21. I was touched to be able to recreate that crossing.  My father, father-in-law and some uncles embarked and disembarked troop ships at that pier during the second World War.  

Sadly, Halifax hasn't been a call on crossings for several years.  There are two calls a year on New York or Québec based cruises.   Many passengers on the QM2 visit the Maritime Museum.

There will be at least one TA call there next year. It's part of a 14-day cruise that goes to a few ports in Norway and Iceland. I love Halifax. While so many people go rushing off to Peggy's Cove, I walk around the Public gardens, visit the museum, stroll the boardwalk, eat lobster roll. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There will be at least one TA call there next year. It's part of a 14-day cruise that goes to a few ports in Norway and Iceland. I love Halifax. While so many people go rushing off to Peggy's Cove, I walk around the Public gardens, visit the museum, stroll the boardwalk, eat lobster roll. 

I'm on that one. Absolutely thrilled about going there, I love the place as well. Wonderful stop.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

We considered that one, but instead are taking the September voyage from Southampton to Québec via New York.  What we would really like is a direct crossing that calls in Halifax en route to NY.  We only managed to do that once.  Disembarking in Halifax was as seamless as arriving in Southampton or Vancouver.  Also, there is a good VIA Rail train from Halifax to Montreal with connections west.

No offence to New Yorkers, but we have yet to have one disembarkation in Manhattan or Brooklyn that didn't have a major issue so we do that rarely.  (Departures from NY have always worked well for us.)  Having done this voyage in reverse I know in-transit passengers have to leave the ship in  N.Y. and  wait for permission to re-embark. But  that's not nearly as bad as dealing with an actual disembarkation. 

• Like 2

Sorry, but Brooklyn is not New York.  

The inability of Cunard to still use the North River piers, a mere 10-minute cab ride to the centre of Manhattan is a huge disincentive to sail QM2 trans-Atlantic.  Red Hook... it's Palookaville. Just is. In the old days, it's where the Mafia dumped the bodies off the Moore-McCormick piers.  

And even as a U.S. citizen, the stories of U.S. immigration at Brooklyn puts me off, too.   

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Sorry, but Brooklyn is not New York.  

The inability of Cunard to still use the North River piers, a mere 10-minute cab ride to the centre of Manhattan is a huge disincentive to sail QM2 trans-Atlantic.  Red Hook... it's Palookaville. Just is. In the old days, it's where the Mafia dumped the bodies off the Moore-McCormick piers.  

And even as a U.S. citizen, the stories of U.S. immigration at Brooklyn puts me off, too.   

Brooklyn IS New York. It's one of the city's five boroughs.

I've had mixed results arriving in Brooklyn. The worst was not Brooklyn's fault. An idiot took my black garment bag and left his behind. The staff could not have been nicer, walking all around, helping me search, helping with the paperwork. We saw that the left behind bag was tagged to go to Bayonne for a cruise on Royal Carib. The supervisor called over to that port and tagged his account so, when he checked in, they could ask him about his luggage. Of course, he THOUGHT he had all of his luggage because he had the right number of pieces. So, although she tried, the woman at Brooklyn couldn't intercept my bag.

That evening, she called me to say that we were right, my bag did end up going to Bayonne. Unfortunately, it got on the ship and wasn't discovered as "unclaimed" until after they sailed. My posh frocks got a cruise without me! And port services delivered the garment bag to my

home.

• Like 2

"The Brooklyn Daily Eagle" called the merger "The Great Mistake of '98"

Even they regretted it....

Sorry, 12th Avenue Manhattan between 46th and 54th Street is the gateway to and from America... not Red Hook, Brooklyn.  

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 8:28 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

"The Brooklyn Daily Eagle" called the merger "The Great Mistake of '98"

Even they regretted it....

Sorry, 12th Avenue Manhattan between 46th and 54th Street is the gateway to and from America... not Red Hook, Brooklyn.  

We have had three crossings - one on the QE2 and two on the QM2 - when the ships were assigned to Red Hook but were re-assigned to a Manhattan pier.  I wish that would happen more often.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2024 at 8:08 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

That sounds good to me. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

There were three other matters I wanted to mention about our cruise, but it seemed prudent to take a break after a lengthy post.

One of the four lifts in both the A stairs and B stairs area were out of service for the entire 10 days. The B area is the busiest.  Not only did the B stairs/lifts provide access to and from the gangways at every port of call, but everyone who has travelled in the Grills knows that two of the lifts are the only direct access to Decks 11 and 12.  Those two were always working, but there were long delays to get one on all decks.

The one lift out of service in the A area was the only one that goes up to the games deck. My wife managed to hobble up and down the stairs to play croquet - but only once.

We were pleased that the senior officers party was held. This was the first for us since the restoration of service.  I know many people never attend these, but we always go.  It isn't for the free drinks - (honest!)  We have met so many interesting people: captains and other officers, lecturers and well-travelled passengers.  At this reception, Captain Howarth paid tribute to four long-serving crew members.  One was a waiter in QG who served us lunch one day when he was filling in. He had 40 years service with Cunard. There was another crew member who had even more service. The four were treated to a dinner at the Verandah. 

As usual, the Cunard World Club sent us a bottle of bubbly a few days into the cruise.  It was an Australian fizz with a screw top - to keep it fresh, it said on the label.  It was better than the usual cheap bubbly that is offered.  I realise that is faint praise.  

P1050572.JPG

• Like 1

How lovely that they honored crew members at the Senior Officers Party! They used to do that occasionally back in the days of QE2. I remember one captain saying to us because you're family, we want you to see some special members of the family. Or words to that effect. 

There was a change of captain between my cruise and yours. No announcements/speech of any kind at the Senior Officers party on my cruise. 

I liked the Australian Fizz. 

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

How lovely that they honored crew members at the Senior Officers Party! They used to do that occasionally back in the days of QE2. I remember one captain saying to us because you're family, we want you to see some special members of the family. Or words to that effect. 

There was a change of captain between my cruise and yours. No announcements/speech of any kind at the Senior Officers party on my cruise. 

I liked the Australian Fizz. 

Our Italian captain seemed shy when talking.