Price drop before final payment with Club Orange Paid

Posted (edited)

Have I missed how much money you are talking about?   

We pay to upgrade ourselves using our travel agent.  She has no problem making the switch when there is a price change in the category that we have booked.  Done this twice when Club Orange was purchased.  Once before final payment, and once after final payment.

As others have mentioned, try to get a reprice on your Interior stateroom.  You ,ay have to give up some OBC, but you may also gain some other type of comp. That's also happened to us, however, we came out ahead of the game.

Also, have you checked to see if the price of a balcony GTY had dropped?  Perhaps you could swing it to upgrade to a balcony.  

Edited by Iamthesea

Posted (edited)

I thought Guarantee Cabin bookings come with a nonrefundable deposit? If this is the case, does HAL even allow a booking with a nonrefundable deposit to be refared? I know back in 2019 they didn’t when we couldn’t take advantage of a $3500 drop in price of our VS cabin category on our 30-day cruise prior to FP.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I thought Guarantee Cabin bookings come with a nonrefundable deposit? If this is the case, does HAL even allow a booking with a nonrefundable deposit to be refared? I know back in 2019 they didn’t when we couldn’t take advantage of a $3500 drop in price of our VS cabin category on our 30-day cruise prior to FP.

Not necessarily. We have an October cruise booked on an advantage fare into a guarantee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Not necessarily. We have an October cruise booked on an advantage fare into a guarantee.

Good to know. Is a booking with an Advantage fare, with a refundable deposit, the same price as a Guarantee fare without the Advantage fare? Also, did the OP, @Suncitycruiser1925, have a Guarantee cabin with this Advantage fare with a refundable deposit? 

23 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Good to know. Is a booking with an Advantage fare, with a refundable deposit, the same price as a Guarantee fare without the Advantage fare? Also, did the OP, @Suncitycruiser1925, have a Guarantee cabin with this Advantage fare with a refundable deposit? 

Advantage fares always have a refundable deposit and are more than a fare with a non-refundable deposit. I’m not sure if OP is on advantage fare or not.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your comments and input.  We did book a nonrefundable fare in a guarantee interior cabin using our future cruise deposits we paid for on our last cruise.  We paid for Club Orange ($350 for our 7 day cruise) and were immediately able to choose an "I" Cabin that we selected.

Current pricing is about $150 less per person for an oceanview guarantee (versus the guarantee interior we booked).  I thought since we already paid for Club Orange, we could upgrade into an assigned oceanview cabin. . . 

Interior fares are also less, but I don't remember the amount.

I haven't tried calling our travel agent again.  She spent hours on the phone talking to a couple different  Holland Representatives and was told we had to completely cancel and rebook.  Maybe not worth it to try to pursue this further.  It just seems unfair to pay more to book months in advance.

10 minutes ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

Thanks everyone for your comments and input.  We did book a nonrefundable fare in a guarantee interior cabin using our future cruise deposits we paid for on our last cruise.  We paid for Club Orange ($350 for our 7 day cruise) and were immediately able to choose an "I" Cabin that we selected.

Current pricing is about $150 less per person for an oceanview guarantee (versus the guarantee interior we booked).  I thought since we already paid for Club Orange, we could upgrade into an assigned oceanview cabin. . . 

Interior fares are also less, but I don't remember the amount.

I haven't tried calling our travel agent again.  She spent hours on the phone talking to a couple different  Holland Representatives and was told we had to completely cancel and rebook.  Maybe not worth it to try to pursue this further.  It just seems unfair to pay more to book months in advance.

That nonrefundable deposit is the issue we ran into back in 2019 and HAL wouldn’t budge back then either regarding the price drop on our booking prior to final payment. That’s why you can only cancel your existing booking and then rebook the category you’re interested in.

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That nonrefundable deposit is the issue we ran into back in 2019 and HAL wouldn’t budge back then either regarding the price drop on our booking prior to final payment. That’s why you can only cancel your existing booking and then rebook the category you’re interested in.

Thank you.  A lesson learned.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Suncitycruiser1925 said:

I know it's frustrating and I sympathize, but CO is category to category; it does not allow you to move up. So, you cannot pay for gty interior, buy CO and select an OV cabin. Your choice would be from available insides.

At this point to get an OV (unless you truly lucked into a really generous, clueless agent at HAL) you would have to cancel your current inside booking and rebook an OV. Or wait to see if you're offered an upgrade or upsell.

And being nonrefundable, you have to be prepared to forfeit your deposit.

Sorry and I do hope you enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment