Between decks windows - ?

FannyLiz

I’ve just been looking at photos of the SofD to see if I can pick out the cabin I have booked. Between E deck and D deck there appear to be a series of 20 odd oblong “windows”. The  space betwen the top of a cabin on E deck and the floor of one on D deck appears to be too narrow for there to be storage or a crew cabin there. Please can anyone enlighten me as to what they are ?

4 hours ago, FannyLiz said:

Many thanks. Are they likely to be noisy ( though presumably not enough to bother someone given normal sea noises outside anyway) ?

We had a cabin recently on D deck (D64) and the vent was noisy and sometimes quite smelly (we wondered if it was from the recycling area?). The noise and smell was most noticeable on the balcony when in port, but you couldn’t hear it inside the cabin once the balcony doors were closed. Perhaps we were unlucky with the vent that was below our balcony, but will avoid these cabins in future.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Spike..the cabin I have booked is D60 !  As far as I can see there is no vent directly under this one but it would be just my luck if the noise and smell were there all the same. Ah well! Too late now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nosapphire said:

We've had cabins on both decks (aft of midships) and never noticed any noise either in the cabin or on the balcony.

Never realised they were there, to be honest.

Neither have I. I usually go for a single cabin midships D deck and have never noticed any problem. Like you, I never realised that they were there until I read this post!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, FannyLiz said:

Thanks Spike..the cabin I have booked is D60 !  As far as I can see there is no vent directly under this one but it would be just my luck if the noise and smell were there all the same. Ah well! Too late now.

I think you will be fine. Relatives were in D63 and the noise was less noticeable- so D60 should be fine. I think we will book your cabin (or one next to it) next time we cruise on Saga. We like to be near the back of the ship for easy access to the lovely aft terrace.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

I think you will be fine. Relatives were in D63 and the noise was less noticeable- so D60 should be fine. I think we will book your cabin (or one next to it) next time we cruise on Saga. We like to be near the back of the ship for easy access to the lovely aft terrace.

I hope so. We also prefer that location and have D 561 booked for our cruise next year, the vents were news to me..

Edited by Bloodaxe

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Spike11 said:

Thanks. I’m so looking forward to it. D60 has an interconnecting  door so would be good if you were travelling with relatives again. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I was in B543 for the Nov 2023 Caribbean cruise nd that was just right for access to both lifts, stairs and the aft terraces.

Edited by FannyLiz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Polari said:

We asked Chief Engineer Len about these when we were on SoA recently.  He told us they were ventilation intakes.  

So intakes , therefore no smell , but may be noise. Can hear them from promenade deck. 

• Like 1