Live from Silver Dawn - Copenhagen to Copenhagen, Aug 26 - Sep 5, 2024

PinonNoir

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

DSC05529(2)_Original.thumb.jpeg.dc57d9339596e51be13527c60e2719b2.jpeg

I've not seen her onboard so far.  I'll ask my Butler about her.  Thanks for the photo!

Edited by PinonNoir
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Today we are in Alesund.  We had a bit of rain but nothing too bad.  We hiked up the hill near the cruise dock and got the excellent view over the city.  Lunch in La Terrazza was good....the Spaghetti Bolognese was good but a bit al dente.  The chocolate gelato was outstanding as usual!

Our excursion today was a hike up Sugar Lump mountain.  This was rated as a "moderate" hike, which checks out with the All Trails app, but this is a little more than moderate for folks in their 60's and 70's.  If you are visiting Alesund be warned that there is quite a bit of hiking on uneven boulders and a lot of muddy spots.  I'd do it again no problem, but a few people seemed surprised at the difficulty level, and one couple only made it halfway.

Dinner tonight at the Pizza Place, unless we decide to hit S.A.L.T. again.  It's raining right now, so the Pizza Place isn't that inviting.

We've settled into the ship and still think this is the best cruise ship we've ever been on.  If anything my opinion just keeps going up!  The crew has been amazing!  Really outstanding experience so far!  Sorry for the excessive use of exclamation marks!!!!

Edited by PinonNoir
  • Like 7

So, I knew things were going all too well and something negative had to happen.  So be it!  Let me clear up front, I don't do formal nights.  We spent 17 days traveling before the cruise, and will be traveling for 14 days post cruise, and I'm not bringing a jacket that I will wear for 30 seconds to and from a table two times on a cruise when my suitcase is already quite full!

So we knew well in advance, 3 months out, when the formal nights were.  Great, nice to know....I will plan to eat at The Grill or the Pizza place on those nights.  I booked our restaurants with this knowledge well in advance of the cruise, because reservations fill up fast.  Lo and behold, they changed the formal nights on this cruise!!!  We just found out that tomorrow night, where I had booked Kaiseki 3 months ago, is now a formal night, versus the night after that, that was listed as a formal night for months!!!

Yes, I'm pissed.  Why would they list the formal nights for months in advance only to change them??  Why??  This is why we have always liked Oceania...no silly formal nights!  Sorry, I needed to rant.  I'm sure all the Silversea folks on this forum love formal nights and wish the entire cruise was formal, but that's just not me!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

Yes, I'm pissed.  Why would they list the formal nights for months in advance only to change them??  Why??  This is why we have always liked Oceania...no silly formal nights!  Sorry, I needed to rant.  I'm sure all the Silversea folks on this forum love formal nights and wish the entire cruise was formal, but that's just not me!

You are not alone with planning ahead for formal nights.  Many regular Silversea cruisers do the same.  Unfortunately it has been posted periodically that the posted formal nights have changed once aboard a ship.  Ship happens!  You have had such a positive outlook, I am disappointed for you.

• Like 1

I understand your pain. You could, of course get a jacket from the restaurant.  They keep asupply. Or you could talk with the restaurant manager on board who will surely find you another booking to your liking at Kaiseki.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Observer said:

I understand your pain. You could, of course get a jacket from the restaurant.  They keep asupply. Or you could talk with the restaurant manager on board who will surely find you another booking to your liking at Kaiseki.

I complained vociferously to our butler about my dissatisfaction, and he just called me back to advise that Kaiseki does not participate in formal nights. This is news to me...I just thought it was The Grill and Spackleilnappoli.  He said no jacket required at Kaiseki...ever. Guess I got all pissy for nothing! 🤐

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

I complained vociferously to our butler about my dissatisfaction, and he just called me back to advise that Kaiseki does not participate in formal nights. This is news to me..

This is news to me as well.  Please keep us posted. In particular, please let us know how many gentlemen were in Kaiseki without jackets.

8 minutes ago, Observer said:

This is news to me as well.  Please keep us posted. In particular, please let us know how many gentlemen were in Kaiseki without jackets.

I can advise you in advance there will be at least one!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, PinonNoir said:

We spent 17 days traveling before the cruise, and will be traveling for 14 days post cruise

Jacket schmaket! Hopefully that's the last of the fashion drama for you. 

Should you care to share and have time, give us some highlights of the before trip and where you're headed after. Much more important. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Jacket schmaket! Hopefully that's the last of the fashion drama for you. 

Should you care to share and have time, give us some highlights of the before trip and where you're headed after. Much more important. 

I'm happy to share. I write a travel blog so my wife and I can keep track of stuff we've done. I just finished uploading photos for the first part of the cruise, but if you are curious about our first 17 days in Norway the blog for that portion starts here:

https://petersontravels.com/index.php/2024/08/10/oslo-norway/

This post has our travel map for this trip:

https://petersontravels.com/index.php/2024/08/02/norway-and-denmark-trip-august-september-2024/

Edited by PinonNoir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry and just keep your Kaiseki booking. On formal nights Kaiseki has the dress code as informal. That means a jacket but on informal nights at least half of the men don't wear a jacket and in our experience even less at Kaiseki.

I thought the new Dress Code [which only requires a jacket] simplified things enough to solve these problems.  Even I, who bitched and moaned about the old dress code, can deal with packing a sport coat.  I often need something a little warmer in the dining room, so the jacket comes in handy often – and if not for me, I can be the Gentleman and offer it to DW.

But if it's that big a deal, I would argue with the Maitre d' that a chamois shirt or a genuine retiree plaid flannel shirt, worn over any other shirt, IS a 'jacket.'  You HAVE to bring something warm for any decent-length trip.  😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

I'm happy to share. I write a travel blog so my wife and I can keep track of stuff we've done. I just finished uploading photos for the first part of the cruise, but if you are curious about our first 17 days in Norway the blog for that portion starts here:

https://petersontravels.com/index.php/2024/08/10/oslo-norway/

This post has our travel map for this trip:

https://petersontravels.com/index.php/2024/08/02/norway-and-denmark-trip-august-september-2024/

Sweet!  Sharing is caring.😁

• Haha 1

We really liked the Trondheim visit.  We took the Northernmost Tram tour, which was very cool, and then visited a ski jump hill, where there were Norwegian Olympic jumpers actually practicing!  I will post videos in my upcoming blog post.  We also had an excellent overview of the city, and then we toured the inside of the stunning Nidaros Cathedral!  Again, I will post the photos when I write the blog post.

So, we ate at Kaiseki tonight along with the mostly jacketed folks.  There were 3 of us without jackets, so I wasn't alone!  No issues whatsoever.  Excellent meal, well worth the upcharge!!

Here is a link to my blog post of Stavanager, Norway, our first stop of the trip!

• Like 3

On 8/29/2024 at 8:09 AM, PinonNoir said:

Today we are in Alesund.  We had a bit of rain but nothing too bad.  We hiked up the hill near the cruise dock and got the excellent view over the city.  Lunch in La Terrazza was good....the Spaghetti Bolognese was good but a bit al dente.  The chocolate gelato was outstanding as usual!

Our excursion today was a hike up Sugar Lump mountain.  This was rated as a "moderate" hike, which checks out with the All Trails app, but this is a little more than moderate for folks in their 60's and 70's.  If you are visiting Alesund be warned that there is quite a bit of hiking on uneven boulders and a lot of muddy spots.  I'd do it again no problem, but a few people seemed surprised at the difficulty level, and one couple only made it halfway.

Dinner tonight at the Pizza Place, unless we decide to hit S.A.L.T. again.  It's raining right now, so the Pizza Place isn't that inviting.

We've settled into the ship and still think this is the best cruise ship we've ever been on.  If anything my opinion just keeps going up!  The crew has been amazing!  Really outstanding experience so far!  Sorry for the excessive use of exclamation marks!!!!

Hi, May I ask your age range? We are signed up for the Sugar Hill excursion in early October.  Concerned that it is too difficult for my 74 year old body :). I exercise but not strenuously.  Thx.

3 hours ago, HappyLadyTravels said:

Hi, May I ask your age range? We are signed up for the Sugar Hill excursion in early October.  Concerned that it is too difficult for my 74 year old body :). I exercise but not strenuously.  Thx.

I'm 62, my wife is 61. We are twice daily walkers at home...due to having an active dog. We also hike a lot.  We did a much tougher hike on Vesteralen Island, and that one pushed us to realize we can't just tackle these big hikes with ease anymore.

https://petersontravels.com/index.php/2024/08/23/vesteralen-island-matind-viewpoint-hike-and-andenes-norway/

If you are hike regularly you should be fine, but there is some scrambling you may not care for, particularly if you have balance issues.

The one couple that made it halfway still got some excellent views. You don't have to make it to the top for it to be worthwhile.

Be advised there is a short hike with great views that will be walkable from the dock, so if you skip Sugar Lump you can still hike that one. I will send a link to my blog post once it's completed.

Chris

• Like 2

We hit Geiranger today.  Oh my God!!!  What an incredible spot!  This may be the most beautiful place in the world, and we've been around! 

We had two excursions booked today; a RIB boat ride on the fjord and a hike to Storsaeterfossen Waterfall.  Please note, the waterfall is listed on the excursions as "Hiking Westeras".  Westeras is the region you are hiking in, but not the destination, and that's an important distinction.

The RIB boat ride (I know that the B in RIB stands for boat, but saying RIB ride wounds weird) was well worthwhile, particularly in Geirangerfjord!  You get up close and personal with the Seven Sisters, Bridal Veil, and several other waterfalls.  The fjord is also incredibly calm, so the boats running at speed are quite a bit of fun!

The "Hiking Westeras" was excellent!!  Stupendous!  Do this hike!  We were warned it was harder than Sugar Lump in Alesund...I call ****.  While it was steep in some parts, with a lot of stairs, the trail is easy to follow and the hike is only 1.8 miles round-trip.  It also comes with an incredible reward, Storsaetorfossen Waterfall (I'm doing the double word thing again, since Fossen means Waterfall, sue me).  Not only is the waterfall gorgeous, you can actually hike behind it for some excellent photos!

20240831_135057.thumb.jpg.abad3391a9209fbdf2f309db146f5b34.jpg

There are also excellent views for pretty much every step of the hike.

20240831_143248.thumb.jpg.c124e5361f0a9c18dfbddc40c539b065.jpg

If you are trying to decide between hiking Sugar Lump Mountain and Westeras, pick Westeras.  Trust me!  The hell with the Lump!  You are welcome!

Our ship departed at 1630, and this is when you want to either be in the Observation Lounge (actually crappy for photos), the deck above it (nowhere to sit), or on your stateroom balcony (now you're talking).  Since we did the RIB ride (told you it sounds funny) we stuck to our stateroom veranda, with a pizza and a bottle of Barbera D'Asti (this is the best included red wine...IMHO).  Being on the Starboard side helps, as the sun is still hitting that portion of the fjord on departure (keep that in mind for booking).  We haven't finished this cruise yet, but I can't imagine beating Geirangerfjord!  Here is a shot as we exit one of the most beautiful spots of the fjord.  Just gut-wrenchingly gorgeous!!  I hope Cruise Critic shows these in full resolution!  It's doesn't look like it from the preview.  These will be on my blog in full resolution...and I'm way behind on that with these full days!

20240831_165705.thumb.jpg.9d2c568c13cd211e86b9dbce55ecd405.jpg

• Like 12

Posted (edited)

Before I head to bed I wanted to give another shout out to S.A.L.T.  Dinner there tonight was excellent!  The Halibut with seaweed sauce was really good! 

It was interesting to note that I had turned in my mid-cruise comment card yesterday, and the head Somm sought me out to discuss my concerns about not having a list of included wines.  He said the wines change frequently, which is why they don't keep a list, but that every wine person is supposed to be well versed in advising you about other wines they had available.  I let him know that was not the case, and that most of the wine stewards just offered the two bottles of the day. 

He said he would look into it, but wanted to know specifically which stewards I had dealt with.  I honestly couldn't remember at the time, but I also don't want to throw an employee under the bus.  He did mention their best Pinot Noir was from New Zealand, and poured some for us, but it still doesn't beat the Barbera D'Asti for best included red wine on the ship.

Bottom line, they do read your comment cards!  I have no idea if my butler Vamil has received a raise or not, but that was also on my comment card!  I'll have to ask him tomorrow!

Edited by PinonNoir
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, PinonNoir said:

their best Pinot Noir was from New Zealand, and poured some for us, but it still doesn't beat the Barbera D'Asti for best included red wine on the ship.

The Barbera sounds like a find!  On Whisper I liked the Valpolicella, which they were serving at La Terrazza but was available anywhere on the ship if I asked for it.

• Like 1

And I agree with you on the Pinot Noir. NZ Pinots don't cut it for me. I prefer ones from Tasmania but usually not a large production and more expensive than the NZ ones hence unlikely to be seen on SS.

• Like 1