Club Class Dining with Friends?

DarCrav

My husband and I are thinking about upgrading our Mini suite to the Club Class on a Grand Princess Pacific Coast cruise.  Our friend, however, won't be sailing in Club Class.  Are we allowed to dine with her in the Club Class section of the MDR at night or will there be an extra charge?  Thanks for any answers you can provide us.

9 minutes ago, DarCrav said:

My husband and I are thinking about upgrading our Mini suite to the Club Class on a Grand Princess Pacific Coast cruise.  Our friend, however, won't be sailing in Club Class.  Are we allowed to dine with her in the Club Class section of the MDR at night or will there be an extra charge?  Thanks for any answers you can provide us.

You cannot pay to use Club / Reserve dining nor can you bring in friends. We have told our friends that if they want to eat with us they will have to book the higher class cabins. You can always eat with them in the regular MDR but then all you are getting from your cabin is location

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

IMG_1093.thumb.jpeg.da62fadbd2b5220fcd000129219e8696.jpeg

IMG_1094.thumb.jpeg.e743c6f1871d02ab9bd0a8fb52d759b2.jpegSo you are thinking of booking a reserve collection mini suite instead of regular mini suite .

No your friends can’t dine with you in reserve collection / club class DR…. Unless they have same type cabin or a full suite.

So if you plan on eating in that particular dining room often, then you would need to tell them( friends )you won’t be able to dine with them or they need to book the type of cabin you have.

or just stay in a regular mini suite and no problem, you can dine together in the main dining room, specialty dining, or casual dining altogether.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ggprincess2004 said:

They cannot join you in the Reserve/Club Class dining area, but you can certainly join them in the regular MDR's. 

The question is why pay so much more for the mini suite and not take advantage of the dining you are paying extra for ?  Location really ls the only other advantage 

• Like 1

Thank you one and all for your prompt replies.  Since spending time with our friend is more important than dining in a special location, we won't upgrade to the Club Class. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

The question is why pay so much more for the mini suite and not take advantage of the dining you are paying extra for ?  Location really ls the only other advantage 

If that's what they want to do, then I won't question them.  I guess one of them could eat in  Reserve while the other eats with the friend and then switch off.  Getting their money's worth, so to speak. 🙂

• Like 1

Here is something I have noticed on the older ships. Grand Class.  

Club Class is just part of the main dining room.   Seperation is only the color of the table cloths or maybe a rope.  Don't remember.

Would it be possible to get a Club Class table at the very edge of the Club Class dining room and your friends get a table just on the other side of the seperation.   You may not have the same table but moving the tables close you can certainly talk.   

I can see the looks now.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, waltd said:

Here is something I have noticed on the older ships. Grand Class.  

Club Class is just part of the main dining room.   Seperation is only the color of the table cloths or maybe a rope.  Don't remember.

Would it be possible to get a Club Class table at the very edge of the Club Class dining room and your friends get a table just on the other side of the seperation.   You may not have the same table but moving the tables close you can certainly talk.   

I can see the looks now.   LOL

Yes, RC is "just" part of one of the MDRs. However, the remainder of that MDR is likely on Traditional Dining at least during early seating, and likely used for walk-in dining as soon as those tables turn. That would make creative seating next to impossible.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ldubs said:

No fraternizing across the rope!  😄

Or sharing extra entrees and no wait sitting and personal service 

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

Maybe the real choice is to forego the upgrade to Reserve Class Mini and o for the standard Mini Suite and take the new Premier Package with unlimited specialty dining. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I was just on the discovery in a penthouse suite and I met a gal; she dined with me in “reserve class” a few of the nights..they didn’t say anything at all.

i think if it’s a LARGE group of non-reserve class people then maybe they’d say something; but one person accompanying you..they won’t say anything. (YMMV)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

I was just on the discovery in a penthouse suite and I met a gal; she dined with me in “reserve class” a few of the nights..they didn’t say anything at all.

i think if it’s a LARGE group of non-reserve class people then maybe they’d say something; but one person accompanying you..they won’t say anything. (YMMV)

Strictly speaking that’s called theft, obtaining something that has a monetary value without paying for it. Just because no one onboard said anything doesn’t make it ok. Just saying! 😚

Edited by Boku
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

Don’t be so sure until they get to know you they scan all medallions. We were once booked in a suite for a 26 day cruise and added a one day prior in a balcony. We were not allowed into club class for that one day. Yours sounds  like a one off and I would not expect that to happen on a regular basis

Edited by memoak
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

We were on Discovery-balcony, friends were in reserve collection mini suite. We wanted to dine together and were politely told that we couldn't. They went their own dining area, we sobbed some on the outside then headed to MDR like the rest of plebs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I went on a solo cruise once in a balcony and a friend was also sailing solo, but in a club class cabin.  She asked if on a night or two, if I could join her in the reserve section since the smallest table is for two and I wouldn’t be taking anyone’s seat.  She was told no, which was fine.  I wasn’t expecting it anyway.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KarmaCruisers said:

I find this hard to believe.  Maybe the mysterious "gal" was staying in a qualifying mini and actually had a valid Medallion.  They always check the Medallion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1