Complimentary wines

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

We also have lunch off the ship when we can find a nice place (doesn't have to be fancy).  Some ports are so small that we haven't been able to find anything.  

Silversea serves lunch in their dining room every day.  I'm not sure about other lines as Silversea and Seabourn are the only lines we've sailed.  

Thank you for your response SLSD. 

7 hours ago, SLSD said:

That's what some of you always say.  We've sailed with Seabourn quite a few times now over a number of years.  This last cruise was great--except for lunchtime venues.  We don't mind dining on the patio (when the weather allows) , but a  crowded cafeteria setting never suits us (on land or on sea).  It's a question of staffing.  We like most everything else about Seabourn.  Not excited at all about trying (again--we've sailed with them) Silversea or Regent.  We've always been enthusiastic about Seabourn.  

We thought we could get coffee and a light breakfast from the observation lounge but they have stopped that so it was room service or Patio after 8.00!

We have cruised many lines over 30 years so we are not exactly cruise dumb. Can I make it clear, we wrote in following advice on these pages.to try to correct our account after erroneous charges to our credit card were made by Seabourn. This was something we had been trying to get corrected on board for most of our cruise. We did offer feedback,on the cruise as a whole, some was good, some was not..... not complaining, not demanding, not seeking compensation, just redress for what was owed to us. We have other cruises booked, not with Seabourn. We had been ready to switch them if Seabourn was for us. Now we are glad to have them.

I hope those using these pages for research before booking Seabourn will understand that you need to be a certain type to be accepted and that any new ideas, suggestions of heaven forbid criticism will be answered by 'well you aren't. the Seabourn type....other lines might suit you.

So very glad we are not that type of person.

Bye all, happy sailing

6 hours ago, Tony UK said:

We have cruised many lines over 30 years so we are not exactly cruise dumb. Can I make it clear, we wrote in following advice on these pages.to try to correct our account after erroneous charges to our credit card were made by Seabourn. This was something we had been trying to get corrected on board for most of our cruise. We did offer feedback,on the cruise as a whole, some was good, some was not..... not complaining, not demanding, not seeking compensation, just redress for what was owed to us. We have other cruises booked, not with Seabourn. We had been ready to switch them if Seabourn was for us. Now we are glad to have them.

I hope those using these pages for research before booking Seabourn will understand that you need to be a certain type to be accepted and that any new ideas, suggestions of heaven forbid criticism will be answered by 'well you aren't. the Seabourn type....other lines might suit you.

So very glad we are not that type of person.

Bye all, happy sailing

I do find it very annoying when someone says--you need to find another line.  VERY condescending to my ears.  I've been posting here for a while now and many of the regular posters "know" me--some have even met me and spent time with me in person.  We like Seabourn a lot, or we wouldn't have spent a great deal of money sailing with them over a number of years and cruises.  I think we are ALL entitled (if I can use that overworked word) to our opinions--and our likes and dislikes.  I don't see people who don't like the included wines being told to cruise elsewhere, but those of us who heartily dislike dining indoors at the  crowded Colonnade from a buffet  are often told to look elsewhere.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I hope that, as you slightly suggested, you will give Seabourn another chance, as your poor experiences are really not the norm.  That would then be the decider!

I don't know what your expectatoins were for your anniversary.  We were onboard Sojourn for our ACTUAL anniversary--not a delayed celebration.  I don't know if that makes a difference.  Even so, the recognition of our anniversary was low key--a special dessert.  That was fine with us.  

We are going back to Silversea for first time in years next summer in Greece. This line and its product look appealing again, after huge disappointments when we were last on it, when we turned to Seabourn. Plus importantly, it acts like it has a future with its shipbuilding program. It's not selling off perfectly good vessels and downsizing its major fleet with no new construction since 2017 like Seabourn other than its expedition product. Off the wine-topic I know, but from those who've sailed it recently, am I right from what I'm hearing that its complimentary wine program is much better than Seabourn? What's its house champagne? any other ingressions?

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I do find it very annoying when someone says--you need to find another line.  VERY condescending to my ears.  I've been posting here for a while now and many of the regular posters "know" me--some have even met me and spent time with me in person.  We like Seabourn a lot, or we wouldn't have spent a great deal of money sailing with them over a number of years and cruises.  I think we are ALL entitled (if I can use that overworked word) to our opinions--and our likes and dislikes.  I don't see people who don't like the included wines being told to cruise elsewhere, but those of us who heartily dislike dining indoors at the  crowded Colonnade from a buffet  are often told to look elsewhere.  

I would say to anyone if you find something on a cruise line that is not acceptable to you to move on as it is not going to change - be it the included wines, restaurant opening hours etc

We have just had a bad experience on Cunard queens grill - I have not wasted my time posting on the Cunard board my issues / recommendations but will just never sail with them again.

Seabourn is not perfect but neither are the other lines.

Maybe it would have worked better for Tony UK to have started a separate thread. It sounds like they sincerely had some real issues aside from the anniversary expectations. This was a thread for complimentary wines, that has drifted as all threads do, but maybe it would have been more helpful to him to ask for assistance in its own thread? Then again, maybe it would have garnered the same. IDK. 

Any further updates on the possible change in champagne? Their house choice is the one constant, unlike the included wines, so IMO it is part of the branding. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

Thank you so much. 

2 hours ago, SLSD said:

I don't know what your expectatoins were for your anniversary.  We were onboard Sojourn for our ACTUAL anniversary--not a delayed celebration.  I don't know if that makes a difference.  Even so, the recognition of our anniversary was low key--a special dessert.  That was fine with us.  

Oh that was just the start on day 1. We kept trying to put it behind us and move on. We had issues almost every day, some more serious than others which I dont want to go into. It was the impact of all of these which gave us a negative experience. It just seemed to go from bad to worse and the accounting issues even travelled home with us!

1 hour ago, Lilly55 said:

I would say to anyone if you find something on a cruise line that is not acceptable to you to move on as it is not going to change - be it the included wines, restaurant opening hours etc

We have just had a bad experience on Cunard queens grill - I have not wasted my time posting on the Cunard board my issues / recommendations but will just never sail with them again.

Seabourn is not perfect but neither are the other lines.

Of course Seabourn is not perfect.  No one has said that.  There is always room for improvement.  

On 9/9/2024 at 6:45 AM, B-HQC said:

Here are some wines I have recently enjoyed onboard - note that Seabourn's purchasing choices are highly biased towards large "big name" producers likely due to volume and convienence, so not necessairly what I would order on land, but also perfectly pleasant choices:

Bollinger Grande Annee

Runiart Blanc de Blanc

Ca dei Frati I Frati (this is the kind of bottle that should in an ideal world be included, but it was 50% off on Venture and cost something like $25)

Cloudy Bay Sauv Blanc

Louis Latour Gervey Chambertin

Louis Latour Nuits St George

Caymus Cab Sauv Napa

If Seabourn is reading this, I've now outed myself 🙂

How much extra was the Caymus cab ??   Reading all these wine post have me reconsidering booking with this cruise line.

6 hours ago, CruisewhenWecan said:

How much extra was the Caymus cab ??   Reading all these wine post have me reconsidering booking with this cruise line.

The Caymus Special Selection was $225.00 -- the same price my local wine store sells it for.

The Ovation was out of stock last month-- hopefully they will have received a new supply this month. 

• Like 2