New NCL app roll out.

I also booked in the main dining room. For 2 people, not 3. I booked 4 different nights and when I got the confirmation email it has two of them for 8 people and two of them with 6 people. I think we're just going to have to go to the main dining room as soon as we get on and get it straightened out.

51 minutes ago, JSar said:

What is it exactly that is rolling out ship by ship? Just things like Deck plans or what? Will it be the same app but customize each trip depending on the ship? Or individual apps per ship? (That wouldn't make sense - but you never know) Just trying to figure out what exactly they haven't rolled out yet! Travelling on the GEM which rollsout about 2 weeks before my trip in December and then the Escape - but not doing that one until 3/26. Anyhow - it seems all the important stuff is working for both my trips. 

I don't really know.  I am guessing eventually they will retire the old app, so I am guessing capability to be linked to the reservation system is done ship by ship?

Oh dear! After reading posts here I had to check my dining confirmation for the main dining rooms. Turns out I have two bookings for 6 and one for 8. I clicked 1 (one) person for all three... 😮😁

15 hours ago, JSar said:

BUT - when I got my reservation confirmation - even though I put "THREE" for the number of participants at dinner - it confirmed reservations for a table for 6. Forgive me if I am wrong - but didn't the Grand Pacific dining room have tables that seated only 4 people on the Gem? I don't recall ever sitting at a table for 6!

MDR bookings are no longer accepted for parties of fewer than 6. 

My guess is the glitch allowing them will be fixed and those bookings likely canceled.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JSar said:

Mine gives me an "Online Chek In Available Soon" message and also gives a date in which the feature will be available which is nice. Old app just gave me a "21 days before" message instead of an actual date. 

I got in again last night and got to page to do photo l, but wouldn’t take it, said get pic at port check in. Now on NCL web site I’m 9% checked in and the box is grayed out till 21 days before cruise. Didn’t even attempt to check in my bride!! 

1 minute ago, cheersforbeers said:

I got in again last night and got to page to do photo l, but wouldn’t take it, said get pic at port check in. Now on NCL web site I’m 9% checked in and the box is grayed out till 21 days before cruise. Didn’t even attempt to check in my bride!! 

Also the app wouldn’t let me access my photos to use our previous check in photos, wanted selfie with its camera used. Large oval for up close pic. 

18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

On my iPad today I downloaded the new App and was able to check us into our Nov 21, 2024 Pearl cruise. However, when my DW went to the new app on her iPad after I checked us both in, her App said she could check-in starting Oct 31, even though I had already just checked us both in. It also provided the same status on the new App on her iPhone. Funny thing is on my iPad looking through the old App, it still says I can check-in starting at 21 days and be completed 3 days before sailing.

It will be interesting to see how our “checked in” status evolves across the new and old Apps on our respective devices as time goes on. 😂

Update: Yesterday evening my DW's new App was subsequently updated to reflect that she is now all checked in. Then this morning I checked our booking status on the website, and it now reflects our cruise's Check-In process is 100% complete. However, the "100% checked in" status was not passed down to our "old" Apps as they still reflect that we can't start checking in until 3 weeks prior to boarding. But we're "assuming" that will be OK as we will be using the new App once we board the Pearl on Nov 21.

But then again, we still have over 80 days before we board the ship. It will be interesting to see how the implementation of the new App will continue to evolve.

FWIW we both use an iPhone/iPad to access the new and old Apps.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

55 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Update: Yesterday evening my DW's new App was subsequently updated to reflect that she is now all checked in. Then this morning I checked our booking status on the website, and it now reflects our cruise's Check-In process is 100% complete. However, the "100% checked in" status was not passed down to our "old" Apps as they still reflect that we can't start checking in until 3 weeks prior to boarding. But we're "assuming" that will be OK as we will be using the new App once we board the Pearl on Nov 21.

But then again, we still have over 80 days before we board the ship. It will be interesting to see how the implementation of the new App will continue to evolve.

FWIW we both use an iPhone/iPad to access the new and old Apps.

I would definitely recheck at 21 days and be prepared to check in again. The new app is a work in progress, ie a beta version, and is not to be trusted yet. 

• Like 3

Just now, zqvol said:

I would definitely recheck at 21 days and be prepared to check in again. The new app is a work in progress, ie a beta version, and is not to be trusted yet. 

No worries. Knowing me, I'll be checking pretty much every day. 😂

27 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Did you have to take new selfie? Or could you use pervious one. 

Just now, cheersforbeers said:

I used the web site and the photo that I used was taken right after they opened up after Covid. They always redo it at the pier so I don’t worry about it. 

3 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

We had to take a new selfie via the new App, which took a few times until they were marked Verified (or something to that effect). There was no option to upload a photo from the Photo Gallery on our device.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We had to take a new selfie via the new App, which took a few times until they were marked Verified (or something to that effect). There was no option to upload a photo from the Photo Gallery on our device.

Thanks, appreciate info. Mine was rejected enough it told me to wait till I checked in at pier!! Hope I can get checked in before that 

2 minutes ago, cheersforbeers said:

Thanks, appreciate info. Mine was rejected enough it told me to wait till I checked in at pier!! Hope I can get checked in before that 

Once we took our photos with a white backdrop behind us rather than a wall with stuff on it, the app Verified them. 

2 hours ago, cheersforbeers said:

Yeah - I know it is too early for check in - so not even worrying about it! Just was testing the features. Might have to redo all of it when the time comes. I didn't attempt to take a photo... so don't know if it will work or not. 

On 8/31/2024 at 8:16 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Would you please check that count?  I've recently encountered a max of 23 and believe me I counted and re-counted several times.  

I get a maximum of 24 bookings visible on the new app (I've rechecked). That's been mostly the same since at least 2018, on the web and old app, although there was a time when it was a bit lower. Maybe there are some cases where cancelled bookings don't clear out fully.

I use a spreadsheet instead to track bookings.

18 hours ago, Asawi said:

Oh dear! After reading posts here I had to check my dining confirmation for the main dining rooms. Turns out I have two bookings for 6 and one for 8. I clicked 1 (one) person for all three... 😮😁

I think they have changed the reservations a little perhaps - in the app, it lets you select the correct number of people for the reservations, online it only lets you select for 6 or 8 people for the MDRs.

No matter where I reserved - the app or online - all my specialty dining reservations show for 4 people (even though there are 3 of us and I did those online before the app rolled out) and my main dining room reservations all show for 6 people (whether or not I did them in the app or online - but in the app I DEFINITELY selected 3 people). I am thinking they new system is only allowing you to reserve a table which happens to seat up to 4 people in the specialty dining room , or 6/8 people for the MDRs. 

Anyhow - I am sure they will get it straightened out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JSar said:

I think they have changed the reservations a little perhaps - in the app, it lets you select the correct number of people for the reservations, online it only lets you select for 6 or 8 people for the MDRs.

No matter where I reserved - the app or online - all my specialty dining reservations show for 4 people (even though there are 3 of us and I did those online before the app rolled out) and my main dining room reservations all show for 6 people (whether or not I did them in the app or online - but in the app I DEFINITELY selected 3 people). I am thinking they new system is only allowing you to reserve a table which happens to seat up to 4 people in the specialty dining room , or 6/8 people for the MDRs. 

Anyhow - I am sure they will get it straightened out. 

You have always only been able to reserve speciality dining for even numbers...2, 4, 6 etc. That is how many chairs are at a table. Once you get to the venue, the hostess will seat you at a table for 4, even with 3 people (and a table for 2 if you are solo). They will take away the additional place setting.

And I agree totally with @Wendy&Grumpy...MDR reservations are only supposed to be for parties of 6 or larger so if you are less than that, don't book. I have never booked a reservation in the MDR and had zero issues with getting a table within 10 minutes of when I wanted to dine. If that restaurant was going to be longer than 10 minutes, the hostess will tell you if one of the other MDRs have a shorter wait. If you really must book an MDR reservation, then go to the reservation area once you board (on my recent cruises it has been Teppanyaki) and do it there. 

As for the rest of the app, I am hoping the main improvement is once on board. I rarely use it before getting on the ship, preferring to use my laptop when at home.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, decrepit old man said:

I don't think people should be messing around with check in and reservations on an app that hasn't even officially launched yet (unless you are on the Sky)

But - they DID launch it. They made it available for download on Google Apps and the Apple App stores. And they loaded the app with reservations for cruises on ships other than Sky. If they weren't ready for people to use it, they shouldn't have made the app available to everyone, regardless of ship. It seems to me that almost all of the important information is already loaded into the app - regardless of ship. 

It is human nature - if a new app has been launched that you intend to use - you are likely to download it as soon as you know it is available and test out the features.

As for checking in too early - it is kind of stupid they make you wait in the first place. Not like most of us are going to suddenly have a new passport or new emergency contact in the last couple months before our cruise departs. And honestly - that safety video? Are we any more likely to remember what it tells us if we wait until 21 days before departure? 21 days before departure is still a long time before departure to remember the details of the safety video. Regardless - the only thing that matters is that those of us who entered our "check in" information - check back before departure to ensure that the info is still in the system. But even if we forget - they have in person check in too. 

Also - the more people who use it - the more NCL can learn about what glitches need to be fixed. For example - if we are making reservations for 3 people and the reservations are for tables for 6 and that isn't what they intended - they can fix it. If they see people are checking in long before their cruise departure date - they can fix it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

You have always only been able to reserve speciality dining for even numbers...2, 4, 6 etc. That is how many chairs are at a table. Once you get to the venue, the hostess will seat you at a table for 4, even with 3 people (and a table for 2 if you are solo). They will take away the additional place setting.

And I agree totally with @Wendy&Grumpy...MDR reservations are only supposed to be for parties of 6 or larger so if you are less than that, don't book.

I understand about the table sizes - and how those reservations work. The difference is the main dining rooms - I have always been allowed to make reservations for 2 or 3 people, and yes -they seat you at a table for 4, 6, or 8 at their will and remove the extra settings. My point was - the poster I was replying to thought there was a problem because her confirmation shows 6 people instead of 1 person. There might not be a problem. There MIGHT be a change with how they show the confirmation. There might also be a change in what size tables will be available. 

As for whether or not you are allowed to make MAIN DINING ROOM reservations - In the past - they have been allowed for groups smaller than 6 people. I have made those reservations successfully on the app, online, and by phone - and never once was I told that I shouldn't be making reservations for only 2 people. Has there been an official change since my last cruise which was less than 1 year ago? Perhaps. But - in the app - it STILL allowed me to make reservations for 3 people. I have seen NO FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT that groups of less than 6 people cannot make reservations for the main dining room. Until I get a confirmation or read a formal announcement from NCL that this practice is no longer allowed - I will continue making dinner reservations as I have always done. If NCL no longer wants us making MDR reservations for groups smaller than 6 - they need to make that clear. So far - they haven't.    

There have been multiple reports here on CC in the past 6 to 8 months, both in thread topics and live reports, that NCL is no longer taking MDR reservations for less than 6 people, If I had time to look for these threads, I would do so.

As far as a formal announcement, I think the fact that they are not accepting them except once on board (and even then I believe some have been denied) is all they need to say. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob_H said:

I get a maximum of 24 bookings visible on the new app (I've rechecked). That's been mostly the same since at least 2018, on the web and old app, although there was a time when it was a bit lower. Maybe there are some cases where cancelled bookings don't clear out fully.

I use a spreadsheet instead to track bookings.

Thanks.  I certainly use a spreadsheet as well, but need a booking to show up in order to make a payment or check in.  There is a back door to make a payment, which I used to pay the deposit on the two courtesy hold bookings that I was concerned about.

55 minutes ago, JSar said:

As for whether or not you are allowed to make MAIN DINING ROOM reservations - In the past - they have been allowed for groups smaller than 6 people. I have made those reservations successfully on the app, online, and by phone - and never once was I told that I shouldn't be making reservations for only 2 people. Has there been an official change since my last cruise which was less than 1 year ago? Perhaps. But - in the app - it STILL allowed me to make reservations for 3 people. I have seen NO FORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT that groups of less than 6 people cannot make reservations for the main dining room. Until I get a confirmation or read a formal announcement from NCL that this practice is no longer allowed - I will continue making dinner reservations as I have always done. If NCL no longer wants us making MDR reservations for groups smaller than 6 - they need to make that clear. So far - they haven't.    

FWIW we asked our TA last month to book our MDR table for 2 reservations in the Pearl MDR on our 23-day B2B coming up in November. However, when our TA contacted NCL, she was told they now only make MDR reservations for tables to accommodate 6 or 8 guests.

Here is a link to a thread I opened in July which subsequently discussed the issue.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3019268-has-ncl-stopped-allowing-people-to-prebook-mdr-reservations-prior-to-boarding/

• Like 1