Semi live Breakaway New England and Canada Sept 1st

mcmomny

10 hours ago, itsnotjustme said:

Where were you when you saw the whales?  I have only seen them on an Alaska cruise.  One must have known he was being watched - remained about 100 yards off the port side for a good 20 minutes showing off. 

Off the coast of Road Island I am guessing.

Our time in Portland was nice, walked around for awhile. Have Clam Chowder and local beer at Dimillo's on the Water.

Then we found the Shipyard Brewery and had a flight of thier beer and headed back to the ship where we spent several hours laying in the sun on deck 16 reading our books!

Watched the sailaway out of Portland then headed out to dunner at Manhattan. 

Wonderful experience! Merrick was a great waiter and very friendly!

No problems getting our upgraded wines here!

Food was amazing!

Off to play cards again in the whiskey bar then went for a 9 pm snack at the buffet which was closed!

So went to O'Sheeans instead.

Today is Bar Harbor!

We have an excursion to Acadia National Park. 

This will be our 20th National Park to check off on our bucket list!

Fyi, it's 58 degrees but will hit 70 today. Sunny day also!

• Like 1

Perfect day in Bar Harbor! Amazing weather and clear blue sky's!

We took a tour viator 2 1/2 hour Acadia National Park tour today, great trip and Rick was a great tour guide!

We did get off the ship around 8 am with very few people out and about so we're able to pop into shops and walk along the seashore with no crowds. 

But returning from our tour at 12:30 this quaint little town is packed!

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 8:29 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I'm glad the food at Shanghai was good. Disappointing to hear service isn't that great - hope things get better as you're on to day three!

I'm guessing there won't be much change to the leaves yet, but am interested in the foliage you do see!

Saw a few light color changes, not alotbut some. The maples had small clusters of red and the sumac was turning yellow and some reds

• Thanks 1

The tender back was busy! We came back at 2 pm and there was a long line with limited shade while we waited for the tenders to return. 

I  glad we went into Bar Harbor first thing as we were able to avoid the crowds and the heat!

I was concerned about it being cool and wore jeans, boy was I hot!

Back on the ship we went to lay out in the sun but no breeze today and it was too uncomfortable so went to the spa instead 

On 9/2/2024 at 10:55 AM, Langham1865 said:

Following... I will be on Breakaway in November, though for a different itinerary.  Any chance you can get a list of the officers that they usually post a pictures of.  I realize some may change... 

Most importantly, I hope you enjoy your cruise and I look forward to hearing about your experiences!

Hope this helps!

20240904_195119.jpg

On 9/2/2024 at 10:55 AM, Langham1865 said:

Following... I will be on Breakaway in November, though for a different itinerary.  Any chance you can get a list of the officers that they usually post a pictures of.  I realize some may change... 

Most importantly, I hope you enjoy your cruise and I look forward to hearing about your experiences!

Hope this helps!

Last night was dinner at Monderno, not crowded at all. 

Our waiter told us to get our salads and he would come back for our drinks and sides.

While we we're eating our salads the meat started arriving before we were done! And we hadn't turned our cards up yet!

So three different meats arrived before our sides, which he finally brought us a bowl of all 5 options. Wasteful but I guess it makes it easier.

The meal was ok, salad bar great but meats over cooked

Talked with a couple last night who took the NCL Acadia tour, no stops or slow downs for photo ops where as our tour stopped 3 times for photos, walking around and most importantly for me was the Park vistor office so I could stamp my National Park book!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mcmomny said:

Last night was dinner at Monderno, not crowded at all. 

Our waiter told us to get our salads and he would come back for our drinks and sides.

While we we're eating our salads the meat started arriving before we were done! And we hadn't turned our cards up yet!

So three different meats arrived before our sides, which he finally brought us a bowl of all 5 options. Wasteful but I guess it makes it easier.

The meal was ok, salad bar great but meats over cooked

We quit going to Moderno because the meats were always overcooked.  If we ever started going to Moderno again it would be strictly for the salad bar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mcmomny said:

We than went to The Spiegal tent to listen to The Prelude Duo and thier Bee Gees Fever show.

Excellent singers! Fun to sing along too!

We had the Prelude Duo on the Jade a few months ago. Possibly the most talented lounge act we've ever seen on a ship. Daniel is an excellent piano player. If he ever has a solo show, be sure to catch it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

We quit going to Moderno because the meats were always overcooked.  If we ever started going to Moderno again it would be strictly for the salad bar.

I agree, but people rave about Cagneys and we have given up on them after 4 consistently bad experiences

• Like 1

Today we had an 8 am NCL excursion "trolly round StJohn" picked it for a easy ride to the reversing tides. Plus with the Free at Sea $50 and our lattitude discount it was $40 some dollars total.

Nice narrative and given time to get off and take pictures of the river. Than they drop you off up town to walk and shop your way back to the ship, or you can stay on and ride back to the ship.

We got off and walked around!

• Like 3

We walked to St John City market, worth a walk thru. Local art, hand made things and also food.

I got some cute earrings for myself,  cheap (fake) Croc charms for my grandkids! Also had coffee and fresh sweet rolls with chocolate.  Yummy!

They all took credit cards which is the best way to get the correct exchange rate and to not get Canadian money back as change. 

One if the vendor's asked where we were from and she said she has family near us! Small world!

Information desk super helpful with maps and suggestions so we took her advice and headed out to explore!

• Like 1

We walked thru the cemetery,  over to Trinity church where John,  volunteer for the church told us all about the history of the church.

Very nice guy and very interesting history.

We asked him for recommendations for local beer and he suggested Picaroons next to Pomodri pizza so off we went.

Just two blocks down hill, nice place. Got a flight to try and ordered pizza also! 

We then headed down towards the pier which now was crowded as laye risers where getting off and a Holland ship was also in port.

Alot of money is spent to build a lovely, modern port area. When completed it will be very nice.

Container City, right at the cruise ship wasn't much to see but it is unique. 

Then back to the ship to spend time in the thermal spa!

Before taking this cruise do some research on Bay of Fundy and the reversing tides.  

When we docked this morning it was low tide and by the time we leave the ship will rise 28 feet do to the rising tide.

When we get off at 8 am on deck 7 we were practically level with the dock.

When we returned at 1 pm the ship has risen 3 decks up!

The port has a self adjusting ramp system that slides up and out with the tides! It was moving the entire time we were walking up to go inside the ship!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mcmomny said:

Then back to the ship to spend time in the thermal spa!

We aren't getting the thermal suite pass on our February cruise. It's the first cruise we're not, except for Joy where it wasn't available as Joy didn't have one at that time. I'm really starting to worry (not truly worry) about whether we should get it. The thermal suite is such a soothing, wonderful, relaxing place to spend time and it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold outside! Hope you enjoyed soaking up the warmth!

35 minutes ago, mcmomny said:

Before taking this cruise do some research on Bay of Fundy and the reversing tides.  

I took my first cruise, on Carnival, and this was one of the stops. We went to the national park where we could really see the reversing tides. It was such a cool experience!! Thank you for reviving my memories!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 2