Back to the best

kool kruiser

I've been away from CruiseCritic for a few months due to...well, life. 😉 Just busy is all. But I popped back in on a whim and was happy to see this fantastic recounting of your recent cruise. I always appreciate when someone is not afraid to give the bad AND the good, because you are right, no cruise ship, cruise line, or individual cruise is ever perfect and it helps to know where the occasional lapses lie.

I'm also happy to see that nobody jumped all over you for your honesty. I remember in years past, in this and other cruise line forums, the slightest criticism could result in angry assaults from the "cheerleaders". Being a frank and honest person, I was the unhappy recipient of some those assaults, to the point where I used to be afraid to offer even the mildest negative impression. Seems we've all moved past that these days. Yay! 

Oh, and I appreciate the new bit of info I just got: that if I want clotted cream for my scone, I simply need to ask for it. I don't eat scones very often, but when I do, I prefer clotted cream. Now I know!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 1:38 AM, Leejnd4 said:

I've been away from CruiseCritic for a few months due to...well, life. 😉 Just busy is all. But I popped back in on a whim and was happy to see this fantastic recounting of your recent cruise. I always appreciate when someone is not afraid to give the bad AND the good, because you are right, no cruise ship, cruise line, or individual cruise is ever perfect and it helps to know where the occasional lapses lie.

I'm also happy to see that nobody jumped all over you for your honesty. I remember in years past, in this and other cruise line forums, the slightest criticism could result in angry assaults from the "cheerleaders". Being a frank and honest person, I was the unhappy recipient of some those assaults, to the point where I used to be afraid to offer even the mildest negative impression. Seems we've all moved past that these days. Yay! 

Oh, and I appreciate the new bit of info I just got: that if I want clotted cream for my scone, I simply need to ask for it. I don't eat scones very often, but when I do, I prefer clotted cream. Now I know!

Thanks so much for your lovely, warm comments, which are truly appreciated.I agree that this board is currently generally very kind in tone and whilst I absolutely do not expect people to agree with me, nor do they need to be rude, which was certainly not the case here. As I mentioned, I am really looking forward to returning in November, as are my family. Also researching for the end of 2025, although I wonder when Crystal will decide to change the scheduled Symphony Red Sea cruise, which has no realistic prospect of happening.

• Like 5

On 9/8/2024 at 7:02 AM, kool kruiser said:

Pretty sure it was the listed blanc de blanc. Not to our liking !!

I agree with you. At the day of embarkation I do not take the sparkling wine they offer on the tray. But I go to the cove and ask for a glass of champagne. Unfortunately I always have to say “the french champagne please”. I guess in Europe we would not call a sparkling wine a champagne if it does not come from the region of Champagne in France independently if it is made using the methode champenoise or not.

Ivi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I agree with you. At the day of embarkation I do not take the sparkling wine they offer on the tray. But I go to the cove and ask for a glass of champagne. Unfortunately I always have to say “the french champagne please”. I guess in Europe we would not call a sparkling wine a champagne if it does not come from the region of Champagne in France independently if it is made using the methode champenoise or not.

Ivi

Ooh, another insider tip! I will remember to go to the Cove and ask for the "French Champagne" when we embark. 🙂 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Leejnd4 said:

Ooh, another insider tip! I will remember to go to the Cove and ask for the "French Champagne" when we embark. 🙂 

If you go to Waterside for lunch when you embark, you can also specify that with the sommelier.

Vince

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BWIVince said:

If you go to Waterside for lunch when you embark, you can also specify that with the sommelier.

Vince

Vince, good point but I believe on Symphony Waterside is not open on embarkation. At least that was our experience on the last two cruises. Others might know better.

Keith

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Vince, good point but I believe on Symphony Waterside is not open on embarkation. At least that was our experience on the last two cruises. Others might know better.

Keith

Totally — I should have added *When Applicable…. My point was more that just about wherever you land, you can always ask for it…. The Bistro, Tastes Bar, etc… It’s not just a Cove thing.

Vince

• Like 2

During our early September voyage on Serenity Waterside was closed every port day. This can be quite a few on your itinerary. Sone folks were quite satisfied w this and the Marketplace buffet while some who regarded this as a negative, especially at the price/ fare point.

• Like 2

On embarkation day Waterside is closed. But of course you can also request your real champagne at the Marketplace. I just like to arrive a little early, before lunch and first enjoy the feeling of being on a Crystal ship again with a glass of champagne. This is why I first go to the Cove before lunch.

Ivi

• Like 2

I find Waterside being closed on embarkation a definite negative. Having been in the past year on the  inaugural cruise from Marseille to NYC  and the 24 WC, this appeared to be pax capacity driven.

Personally, IMO closing Waterside on embarkation takes away from the experience of being on a luxury cruise. After all it is your first exposure to Crystal dining. JMHO😀

• Like 9

I think the operative words here may be "consistently inconsistent". On all our Serenity cruises since December 2023, Waterside has been opened for lunch on embarkation day. To paraphrase and plagiarize from other sources: "your experience may differ"...

Rob

• Like 3

I am sure there are exception as Rob noted but we have found on Serenity that Waterside is opened on Embarkation Day but it was not on Symphony.

As mentioned, it is open on sea days or when most of the day is a sea day such as an arrival late afternoon or a departure early morning.

Keith

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bayonejoe said:

I find Waterside being closed on embarkation a definite negative. Having been in the past year on the  inaugural cruise from Marseille to NYC  and the 24 WC, this appeared to be pax capacity driven.

Personally, IMO closing Waterside on embarkation takes away from the experience of being on a luxury cruise. After all it is your first exposure to Crystal dining. JMHO😀

While I agree with this completely, I have to add that just opening it isn’t the perk alone.  On my July cruise on Serenity, I was excited that Waterside was open, but it had one of the most lackluster lunch menus I can recall having in Waterside, and was the worst embarkation lunch menu I’ve had (by a mile) since Crystal started service lunch for embarkation in Waterside roughly 18-19 years ago.  

Everyone here knows what a fan I am of lunch in Waterside, but when I have to admit the people who went to Marketplace fared much better, that’s in itself a problem.  😔 

Vince

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BWIVince said:

Everyone here knows what a fan I am of lunch in Waterside, but when I have to admit the people who went to Marketplace fared much better, that’s in itself a problem.  😔 

Vince

Can’t speak for others, but we always arrive at embarkation port at least one day, and often several days before sailing. We generally stay at hotels with massive included breakfasts. By the time we embark the ship before lunch, we’re generally quite content with something light from the grille or soon-to-be-modified Tastes. When we boarded in LA last month, we did go straight into Waterside, but I will confess here, our lunch was mostly liquid. 🥂🥂🥂

Edited by ryndam
Typo
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, ryndam said:

Can’t speak for others, but we always arrive at embarkation port at least one day, and often several days before sailing. We generally stay at hotels with massive included breakfasts. By the time we embark the ship before lunch, we’re generally quite content with something light from the grille or soon-to-be-modified Tastes. When we boarded in LA last month, we did go straight into Waterside, but I will confess here, our lunch was mostly liquid. 🥂🥂🥂

I usually follow the same general formula, but I suspect some of my mornings might be a little earlier…. I started the morning before embarkation in Vancouver with a sampling lots of different things from the hotel’s breakfast buffet, but since that was ~7:00am, I was sufficiently hungry by noon.  Not starving, but definitely ready for a full lunch.

Vince

Just a different view but we skip a big breakfast pre boarding in anticipation of a lovely cruise- beginning lunch in Waterside. 
I do agree ( about 80%) w Vince’s comments regarding lunch menu. It was short and not exciting. I do not expect flambé kebobs! ….But sometimes had to search around for something. We may be in the minority but we do not care for the seating design in Marketplace  and the buffet ,which used to seem more interesting, now seems tired and mundane to us. Too many fully cooked and now dried out dishes, pre cooked pasta,etc. The carved items are mostly good..desserts are static. We don’t do buffets at home so not certain why we must embrace them on an ‘excellent’ cruise. We do a bit better on another luxury line which also offers, on order, grilled burgers, fresh fish, steak at the buffet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bayonejoe said:

Bravo! I concur completely. When Waterside is closed, Crystal ceases to be a luxury ship.

• Like 3