MSC Dining as a Solo

Maxcov

I’m sailing on Seascape in May 2025 as a solo. I selected early dining, which is from 5:30-7:30 (I think). I believe they will assign me a time at some point (hopefully not 5:30!). Can you change the assigned time, and how do you plan to sit with other people, particularly other solos?

Are you Bella or Fantastica experience?  When you board you will be given a welcome page of important info, including a place to go to see about changing your dining time, table, etc.  I generally don’t join in solo cruiser meetings, but last month on Magnifica there was one around 4:30pm the first day, and we had a dozen or more people.  The crew member was able to arrange for those who wanted to eat together to have a table in the MDR early seating.  I was already assigned early dining, so I went to that table.  EM

I’m Fantastica. When you went to dinner the first night with others, what time did you go?

A 4:30 meet-up is not a good time for me. That’s about when I’m back in the cabin to get ready for dinner and evening.

Typically, MSC *tries* to assign you to a sharing table of other solos whose primary language is the same as yours, but it doesn't always work out that way. Usually, as long as you are willing to do a sharing table, it is not difficult to get your assigned time/table changed once onboard and as Fantastica, you should get preference over Bella passengers.

• Thanks 1

@JamieLogical I was solo last month on Magnifica, Bella. All my docs showed early dining, but when I boarded, my card said late. I was assigned an 8 top where I was the only solo. Everyone at the table had early on their docs, like me, and were surprised to find their cards said late.

I did not try to change mine; 2 people said they had tried on 1st day and were told no.

7 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

@JamieLogical I was solo last month on Magnifica, Bella. All my docs showed early dining, but when I boarded, my card said late. I was assigned an 8 top where I was the only solo. Everyone at the table had early on their docs, like me, and were surprised to find their cards said late.

I did not try to change mine; 2 people said they had tried on 1st day and were told no.

The early or late listed on your docs is just the preference you set, no guarantee about what time you will actually get. You will not know your dining time until you receive your keycard at check-in. Since you were Bella, you were less likely to get your preference than Fantastia, but even with Fantastica, there are no guarantees. It's possible your tablemates were turned down for a time change because they may have also requested a two-top rather than a sharing table? They definitely seem like they are better able to accommodate time changes for people who are willing to share tables. Again, no guarantees, but so far *knock on wood* I have always have my dining change requests be successful.

On my first solo sailing with MSC, I was able to actually able to get two requests honored. The first day of the sailing, I asked to change times, because I had been a 9:30 seating (was Fantastica and had requested early dining). I got that changed to a 6:30 seating in a different dining room. But then my first meal with that table of solos was a terrible experience (they immediately started talking about politics and stayed on that subject through the whole meal), so the next day I requested a table change again and was moved to a different table in a different dining room with a different table full of solos.

I do not know whether the first table I was assigned to with the 9:30 seating was solos or not, since I never went to that seating.

• Thanks 1

Well, I guess I’ll see what happens once I board and see if I can change it if I need to. If they tell me 5:30 or past 8:00 and won’t change it, worst case I’ll eat in the buffet. I would really hate to, as dining in the dining room is part of the cruise experience for me.

On Seashore, and I suspect on Seascape there are two MDR s that have three seatings, which is why you see 5:30-7:30 for early seating.  There is another MDR with two seatings, and a separate MDR for Aurea.  I’ve never had late, as I’m diabetic and late seating is too late for me.  EM

I travel solo all of the time. I prefer to dine solo - I don't like to wait for everyone to get their food courses and don't like when I want to have multiple appetizers for anyone to wait for me so they can get their entree. Last MSC cruise I was Aurea and solo table was easy to get. Next time will be Fantastica on a different ship - I hope I have the same luck. I requested early but my receipt shows late so will have to talk to someone when I get on board. If not, I know I won't starve.

On 9/8/2024 at 1:38 PM, Nikita4 said:

Also in fantastica you can dine solo on a table fot two. You have to ask after embarkation at the maitre and normally its not a problem.

That's what I did in January on the Meraviglia. No problem.

I was on the Seashore in June (bella) and was assigned a 2 top at 9:30.  The could switch me, but only to the 5:00 seating (I don't know if it would have been a 2 top), not 7.  I decided 9:30 was better than 5, so I kept what I was assigned.  I actually ended up going to the buffet most evenings

I figure last resort, I could always do the buffet for dinner as well, although I would miss the dining room experience, as I enjoy a sit down and be served dinner.