Is the Retreat necessary on Beyond?

zackarykeef

We seem to be the opposite of many here. We're trying Celebrity for the first time and as my DH says, "gen pop", after our last three cruises on MSC in YC. So, I was wondering the same thing as the OP. We will be on a transatlantic on the Apex and it looks to be a beautiful ship with nice restaurant options, so I think we'll enjoy the ship overall. We love the Topsail lounge and having the respite away from the crowds, but figure we should be able to find somewhere to avoid the masses when we need it.  We like to enjoy the hot tubs regularly, so that could be an issue.  The price was in the end what made the decision for me. We end in Barcelona and will do another month+ on land in Spain and Portugal, so the $$ will be used for more travel. We also booked concierge, so I think we can board a little earlier and I added premium beverages so we can enjoy whatever we'd like without worrying.

Because we are not quite independently wealthy, but want to live semi-retired and enjoy more travel, we give and take on the added luxuries. I'm not sure if sailing MSC again, YC is something we would give up though!

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

As you are well aware we did Japan on Millennium and loved it.  Very port intensive cruise of 13 days with only two real sea days.  

We did see an MSC and Princess ships so I know they have Japan cruises as well. 

Well of course I'm well aware.  I was right there with you.  Have you forgotten already?!  😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

The trick in picking other lines is they sometimes have limited sailings.  Some are great in Europe and Caribbean but are limited in Asia, South America etc.

I’m looking at MSC, HAL, Princess, NCL but we will not make a decision until we sail on Millie in January and decide if we want her for a Japan cruise.

MSC will be my first choice for US sailings to Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean. Not so much in Europe where they sail ferry style with guests embarking and disembarking in each port. I feel like that would annoy me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

MSC will be my first choice for US sailings to Bermuda, Bahamas, Caribbean. Not so much in Europe where they sail ferry style with guests embarking and disembarking in each port. I feel like that would annoy me.

That’s what I see in Asia.  Ferry or B2B on the same itinerary.  No thanks.

The Retreat, YC, and all accommodations like that may not be “necessary” for all. But they sure do provide variety. We have cruised in all sorts of accommodations, from large, crowded mass market (RCCL, NCL, etc.) up to small ship lux lines (Regent, Silverseas, etc.), and have also cruised in the Retreat and YC. For us, the lines and crowds in the mass market large ships become overwhelming from day one. Some people (not us) find lux ships boring. In the Retreat, guests receive an experience very much like a lux cruise — not quite the same but close. And if a guest gets bored with that and wants the lively activities on a large ship, they are just a short walk away. So it is all about increased choices in activities. 

Can’t say much about fares and affordability because they have become highly volatile in recent times. But I would guess that some degree of up-charge for the retreat could be money well spent for anybody who has veered tired of the hubbub of main ship areas on a large ship.

24 minutes ago, RichYak said:

We sailed in the Med and Northern Europe. The embark/debark didn't bother us at all. With one exception, we met a super nice couple from Germany that we would have enjoyed for the entirety of our cruise, but they debarked only a few days in.  We were with our family group in the Med, so didn't really mingle with others, so just didn't notice that.  The whole process at ports in the Caribbean was more cumbersome and we didn't feel we had the priority advertised by YC.

41 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

mnpurple, please explain. Does MSC not allow guests in Europe to simply leave the ship in port and return with their ID? And what is “ferry style”?

On MSC in Europe, at almost every port, some passengers are ending their cruise and disembarking and new passengers are embarking. Like a bus with bus stops. 

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

On MSC in Europe, at almost every port, some passengers are ending their cruise and disembarking and new passengers are embarking. Like a bus with bus stops. 

Maybe I’m wrong but in Asia MSC doesn’t offer a long cruise.  For example, instead of a 14 day they might offer two 7 day back to back cruises which seem to go to the same places?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Maybe I’m wrong but in Asia MSC doesn’t offer a long cruise.  For example, instead of a 14 day they might offer two 7 day back to back cruises which seem to go to the same places?

I can’t help you there. I know nothing about Asia cruises on any line. 

3 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I can’t help you there. I know nothing about Asia cruises on any line. 

Thanks.  My post was more of a statement not a question.  MSC seems to cater to customers who want short Asia cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.  My post was more of a statement not a question.  MSC seems to cater to customers who want short Asia cruises.

You are correct from everything I have found.  To do what we did on our 13-day cruise, you would have to string together multiple B2B2B's on MSC in a series of 3 and 4 day sailings.  

It does bring to mind the idea of sailing to a cruise end point, getting off and staying until the ship returns, sail to the next disembarkation city, staying until the ship returns, rinse and repeat.  Would be a great way of seeing a lot of cities in Asia.  

16 hours ago, RichYak said:

Thanks to you and others who responded. That sounds like it could be a mess.

17 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

mnpurple, please explain. Does MSC not allow guests in Europe to simply leave the ship in port and return with their ID? And what is “ferry style”?

As @RichYak said, people can start or end their cruise at any of the ports along the route. I can only speak to being in yacht club, and never saw it as an issue. First cruise we embarked in Naples fairly early on the re-start. Not a big deal, other than the port operated on their "own" schedule. We embarked this past March in Southampton, which was a breeze. There are ports that are busier than others, but getting on an off to visit a port was really no different than when we've been on Caribbean cruises.  I would say our cruises on NCL were far worse returning to ship after visiting a port, even when we were in the Haven.

34 minutes ago, mnpurple said:

As @RichYak said, people can start or end their cruise at any of the ports along the route. I can only speak to being in yacht club, and never saw it as an issue. First cruise we embarked in Naples fairly early on the re-start. Not a big deal, other than the port operated on their "own" schedule. We embarked this past March in Southampton, which was a breeze. There are ports that are busier than others, but getting on an off to visit a port was really no different than when we've been on Caribbean cruises.  I would say our cruises on NCL were far worse returning to ship after visiting a port, even when we were in the Haven.

Why doesn’t MSC offer proper 8/12/14 day cruises like Celebrity?  I don’t want to repeat ports.

On 9/9/2024 at 6:40 PM, RichYak said:

First, I never said "noisy." People need to stop accusing me of their own hyperbole. Relaxed and quiet is fine during the morning and afternoon hours, but can there be a little fun at night? Good grief, whenever I'm in there, I keep looking around for where the casket is.

The only time the Retreat Lounge was any fun for me was on Summit in 2019. Alexandra was the bartender. That was fun. Anyone that knows who she is knows what I'm talking about.

Alexandra was awesome. 

On 9/6/2024 at 8:19 AM, zackarykeef said:

Hi, all! We have an upcoming sailing on the Beyond. This will be our second X cruise...first was on Equinox 2 years ago. We have been wanting to get on this ship for a while, so we are really looking forward to it! It will also be our first time in Aqua.

My question is...for those of you who have been in the Retreat, do you feel it's necessary or worth it? We are debating bidding for a MoveUp but weren't sure that with how nice this ship is overall if it's necessary. To my knowledge, we would keep our regular beverage and wifi package, meaning we would still have to pay on top of that for premium...correct? I realize we would also have to pay for the thermal suite pass should we win a bid to a non-Aqua Sky Suite, which we currently have included.

I know some say they prefer Aqua/Blu to Retreat, so...tell me what you think. It's an 8 day sailing with 4 sea days, so there will be significant time on the ship. Is the main pool deck overly crowded and hard to find loungers? Also...I've heard mixed answers regarding if Retreat guests can dine at Blu also, even if they're not in an Aqua Sky Suite.

We are partial to Yacht Club on MSC so have been curious about the Retreat, but just trying to determine if we need it on this gorgeous ship. Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Despite all the opinions back and forth, you won't know until you try it. Enjoy your cruise. 😉

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

IMG_4994.thumb.jpeg.71e86654461edb278b3d3b8e4e24b625.jpeg

OK.  I'll bite.  What is so "awesome" about that picture?  Or about a bartender?  I think some of y'all have reached your limit and should be cut off.  😁

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

OK.  I'll bite.  What is so "awesome" about that picture?  Or about a bartender?  I think some of y'all have reached your limit and should be cut off.  😁

50+ cruises on 4 different lines and she was the best bartender hands down. Great drinks and entertaining as well. Usually left the lounge LMAO.

22 minutes ago, Big_G said:

50+ cruises on 4 different lines and she was the best bartender hands down. Great drinks and entertaining as well. Usually left the lounge LMAO.

I hate to go places where it’s not all about me.  I’d be miserable.  🙂

On 9/12/2024 at 2:31 PM, Big_G said:

Despite all the opinions back and forth, you won't know until you try it. Enjoy your cruise. 😉

You are so right! After everyone’s responses on here and another social media site, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade us. We all deserve to be spoiled, right? Definitely looking forward to our first Retreat escape (and being able to use the balcony without the room getting humid 😅)!

7 minutes ago, zackarykeef said:

You are so right! After everyone’s responses on here and another social media site, I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade us. We all deserve to be spoiled, right? Definitely looking forward to our first Retreat escape (and being able to use the balcony without the room getting humid 😅)!

The only downside of the Retreat or Aqua is that sometimes they’re overpriced.  I booked Millennium SS 12 months ago at a price not that different from our Beyond SS move up.  Now on Millennium, four months before the cruise, SS is a few thousand dollars less and SS and Aqua SS are the same price.  But we have a lot of OBC.  We may go back to Aqua next time.  

On 9/6/2024 at 8:19 AM, zackarykeef said:

Hi, all! We have an upcoming sailing on the Beyond. This will be our second X cruise...first was on Equinox 2 years ago. We have been wanting to get on this ship for a while, so we are really looking forward to it! It will also be our first time in Aqua.

My question is...for those of you who have been in the Retreat, do you feel it's necessary or worth it? We are debating bidding for a MoveUp but weren't sure that with how nice this ship is overall if it's necessary. To my knowledge, we would keep our regular beverage and wifi package, meaning we would still have to pay on top of that for premium...correct? I realize we would also have to pay for the thermal suite pass should we win a bid to a non-Aqua Sky Suite, which we currently have included.

I know some say they prefer Aqua/Blu to Retreat, so...tell me what you think. It's an 8 day sailing with 4 sea days, so there will be significant time on the ship. Is the main pool deck overly crowded and hard to find loungers? Also...I've heard mixed answers regarding if Retreat guests can dine at Blu also, even if they're not in an Aqua Sky Suite.

We are partial to Yacht Club on MSC so have been curious about the Retreat, but just trying to determine if we need it on this gorgeous ship. Any input is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

We sailed on Equinox in 2019 in Aqua and got a great deal in Oct 2022 for the Retreat on Beyond for a long repositioning cruise with many sea days. I’m glad we booked it because it rained on many of our sea days and the Retreat Lounge was a fabulous perk. We spent a lot of time there and they made us feel special. The Retreat dining room didn’t impress me. We also loved having a “real” balcony. 
When we looked to book for a September 2024 cruise the cost was almost double the 2022 deal and we didn’t do it. I suspect we’re now priced out of The Retreat for the foreseeable future. Sad. 

Edited by mfs2k