Geiranger Norway

Rebels82

We were there in 2017 on Marina. There are a couple or so small boat tours back down the fjord, if you are not fed up with being on the water.  It is a very dramatic view of the scenery - a definite different sense of scale than looking at the waterfalls, etc, from the ship. It stopped halfway back and a number of folk got off to hike back to the village. Can't recall the name of the company we used but Google should find them. We'd booked online beforehand but I think you can just turn up on the day and buy a ticket. 

We followed that with lunch in one of the places overlooking the water. And then walked up the side of the waterfall. More drama, IMO, and a very different day for us city dwellers. 

It's a very pretty village and must be lovely once  all the cruisers have left. 

• Like 1

I’d have to find the names, but several companies run bus tours up the canyon to the top of the mountains. Fabulous views and interesting scenery and history all the way up the mountain. At the top is a Lodge to get out and wander around which is above tree line in the tundra.

Fwiw, Oceania runs that bus tour for 3-4X the private option. Some prefer O pricing. Google is your friend.

• Like 1

When we were in Geiranger on HAL, we took a Rib boat tour of the fjord with Rib Geiranger.  Fun, exhilarating, and informative (though the survival suits they have you wear could use a spritz of Febreze). Got up close and personal with the falls in the fjord, and lots of history and context by the guide. Was half the price of the same excursion offered through HAL.

If you enjoy hiking and don't mind stairs, there's also a wonderful hike along the stream that feeds into the fjord that's free and within walking distance of the port. 

Edited by Zukini
  • Like 1

There's a pretty prominent tour company there, with a booking office not far from the port (or tender area, should you have to tender).  I'll google to see if I can find the name.  They have bus trips up the mountain to viewpoints (and possibly one of those long range ones that Oceania offered as an excursion when we were there).  They also have boat trips.  And Geiranger has some moderately interesting sights of its own in case you want to DIY.  

I think this is the tour company we looked at before: https://www.geirangerfjord.no/english

As usual, it's good to look at the cancellation policy.  And don't cut the timing too close. And don't expect the guides to be local.  We were told that Geiranger hires a LOT of college kids from all over to do their tours!  

I don't remember them offering tours in gorgeous Alesund, but if you're going there, you might want to take a look.  I just took an O excursion in Alesund, as we were there on a Sunday and no buses ran out of town to the lighthouse I wanted to see. 

Enjoy Norway - a fabulous place.  And there's webcam from there, showing the port area.  You may want to try to google it.

• Like 1