Carnival Chooses - Upper/Lower question

Sabalon

We're looking at one where "Carnival chooses your stateroom.".   It is an interior room.   When I looked the other day, all that I could choose that was left was upper/lowers.  

So I guess in them choosing the room, that an Upper/Lower would be a possible choice they could make for us???   

I hate going that route, but wife last minute deciding to do this is what we're left with.  Do they have oceanview rooms that are upper/lower?  Don't care about the view if I'm not on a balcony, but if that guarantees I won't be in bunk beds, it may be worth it.  (Horizon is the ship...off to find maps!)

1 hour ago, Sabalon said:

We're looking at one where "Carnival chooses your stateroom.".   It is an interior room.   When I looked the other day, all that I could choose that was left was upper/lowers.  

So I guess in them choosing the room, that an Upper/Lower would be a possible choice they could make for us???   

I hate going that route, but wife last minute deciding to do this is what we're left with.  Do they have oceanview rooms that are upper/lower?  Don't care about the view if I'm not on a balcony, but if that guarantees I won't be in bunk beds, it may be worth it.  (Horizon is the ship...off to find maps!)

Pretty sure upper/lowers are always bunks.  I have had one but I was sailing solo.  I have both interiors and port holes that were upper/lowers. 

• Like 1

So @Sabalon, I believe, but am not 100% sure, that a Guarantee cabin will not ever have you assigned to a 1A (Upper/Lower) or a PT (Porthole). Reason is they are considered highly coveted, unique cabins by certain traveler classes, especially singles. Just because you don't see cabin availability on-line doesn't mean that all the cabins in that category are assigned. Many are held back for GTY assignment as late as the last few days prior to the cruise. Sometime folks even show up at the pier not knowing their cabin number.

I'd give them a call to clarify the actual policy, just to be sure.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jsglow said:

So @Sabalon, I believe, but am not 100% sure, that a Guarantee cabin will not ever have you assigned to a 1A (Upper/Lower) or a PT (Porthole). Reason is they are considered highly coveted, unique cabins by certain traveler classes, especially singles. Just because you don't see cabin availability on-line doesn't mean that all the cabins in that category are assigned. Many are held back for GTY assignment as late as the last few days prior to the cruise. Sometime folks even show up at the pier not knowing their cabin number.

A upper/lower is not covered by most singles I know, maybe you love them. Not me. 

Carnival will now show if its port holes which is the 1A I want. ... not a upper and lower which can be small and only a twin. Yes the portholes can be a twin and a sofa bed, but I can see out and those cabins are large, almost OV size. I avoid ones marked upper lower like the plague.  I'm picky and carnival now does show you what it is. 

Be careful generalizing about 1As. They are so different even on the same ship. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

An interior guarantee can get you a 1A.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

We travel as a couple @firefly333. We've never had a 1A. We were all set for one of those upper/lower PT last year but missed out when Panorama broke down. We mostly do OVs but the occasional Balc or standard Interior.

I had a b2b on breeze shortly after cruising resumed. One leg in a port hole 1A, loved it, 2nd leg I thought I'd try a 1A on a higher deck, deck 9, upper and lower. I dont know if I still have pictures. TV was all the way across the cabin could hardly see it in a recessed cove. Next to bathroom. The bathroom had a extra large step up to get into the bathroom. Long skinny room and closet was wierd. I had a twin bed and the upper was up in the ceiling and could come down. I hated it so much. Huge mistake. Worse than I thought it would be. Didnt like the bed up against the wall. I'm not little. I couldn't turn over in the twin bed without hitting the wall was the worst part. No space to pull the bed away from the eall. The other 1A was way more sf and the headboard against the wall with the bed coming out perpendicular to the wall. So space on both sides of the bed, not up against a wall. 

I'm a string no to a 1A upper and lower unless you are skinny.

Thanks all.  By "going that route" I meant let Carnival choose my room if it meant I could end up in the upper/lowers.  We're in our 50's...not something we need to deal with!
Ironically, if I go incognito mode on my browser, now "choose my room" is an option.  Only a few rooms left (according to that) but good to know.   

Now I have to deal with the mistake of mentioning I saw another one that same week and she wants to look at that too.   Well, still better than work that week!!! 🙂

• Like 1

Hopefully final follow up - found a link that let me "change room" that then gave me the higher rate to pick my room, which I swear I couldn't find that the other day.  Tried to hold the reservation and "please try again in a few minutes".

Always love seeing small startup companies struggle with creating a professional grade web site 🙂   lol - solution was to log out and log back in.  And a $50 on board credit.

Edited by Sabalon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sabalon said:

Yes, you can definately be assigned an Upper/Lower. That is considered one of the guaranteed interiors. So if you can't do a ladder, I'd book a 4A or higher, not a guaranteed interior.
Our favorites cabins are located on the Lido Deck.