Cruise to Hawaii from LA in Mid April

Prof calculus

14 minutes ago, Prof calculus said:

Do you know what the weather is typically like ie can we sunbathe or are seas rough and cold until we get to Hawaii

Oft asked and discussed on here-- never can predict sea conditions. You're in the middle of the Pacific in open water-- anything from smooth seas to rough can happen. 

Temps will be similar to LA and can be cooler in the mornings/evenings. Average temps in LA are low 70s that time of year. The day or two before arriving in Hawaii it will warm up a bit into the 80s. 

None of this can be predicted though-- it will be some shade of the above. 

• Like 2

What ship will you be on?  There are some great reviews of cruises to Hawaii on the various cruise forum pages.  I would also post on your roll call.  Personally the weather from San Diego to Hawaii on a ship is too cold for me for most of the sea days, but many absolutely love the sea days.  And, living next to the beach in Southern California,  low 70's would be a great day at the beach.  I assume that they will close the roof over the pool, if it is HAL, and it will be nice and warm in the Lido pool area.  JMO  Enjoy, Cherie  

In my experience, the first 36 hours, during the day it is cooler. I live at the beach in So Cal, so it feels "cooler" to me, but there are people from Iowa and Ohio on the cruise who are like "oh wow it is so hot today! (70 degrees). People will be sunbathing by day 2.

As you cross into the tropics, it gets hot.

The nights always feel cooler to cold. I love Movies Under The Stars (MUTS) on Princess, and they provide warm blankets, but I still dress very warmly.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone 

Sorry I should have said I am going from LA (5 days at sea  ) to Hawaii (for 5 days ) and then a return to Vancouver (5 days back ) this is mid May next year on SS Silver moon .

Just concerned that the weather may be chilly /windy on days at seas .

Any help from more experienced cruisers will really be helpful as I have saved really hard for this trip .

Thanks all 

41 minutes ago, Prof calculus said:

Hi Everyone 

Sorry I should have said I am going from LA (5 days at sea  ) to Hawaii (for 5 days ) and then a return to Vancouver (5 days back ) this is mid May next year on SS Silver moon .

Just concerned that the weather may be chilly /windy on days at seas .

Any help from more experienced cruisers will really be helpful as I have saved really hard for this trip .

Thanks all 

I'm on that same cruise and I will do as I always do and take clothes suitable for a range of weather from uncomfortably cool to really quite hot - it's all about layers.  One light but windproof jacket is a really good idea.

I've cruised the Pacific a few times and it's quite unpredictable, but in general once you are a day or two away from LA it will be pleasant enough to be out and about in tee shirt and shorts.

The pool on the Moon is fairly sheltered, although upstairs on deck 11 it will always be windy when out on the open ocean.

In the evenings Hot Rocks and Spaccanapoli are the best places to be, if it's cool, Hot Rocks has wind shields and both have heaters and you have the wonderful open sky and stars all above you. Or get the same view, plus the wake of the ship, while sipping champagne or other drink of your choice from the seats outside the Panorama on deck 9.