Some questions from a newby on Cunard

ernnnn

Hi there!

We are a Spanish couple thinking about reserving a Mediterranean cruise for next August on Cunard´s Queen Victoria. It would be our first time with them, as we always sail with Holland America Line and Princess. How do they compare to each other? Also, even when we are on our mid 40s, we like Holland America for not having many kids onboard.

What about Cunard at the Mediterranean? Too many kids? Are they usually well behaved? What about the food options? We have seen we have available the Lido and the Main Dining Room. Is there any other complimentary option apart from those?

Finally, formal nights. Are they as formal as they say? I mean. On Holland America Line, I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt or a polo t-shirt, and that's enough for a normal night when going to the Main Dining Room. On formal nights, trousers, a shirt and a jacket without a tie. Is that correct or not enough? I know that's going to be a difficult question to answer.

Too many questions, I know. Also, any other recommendation for a newby would be much appreciated. Best regards!

6 minutes ago, ernnnn said:

Finally, formal nights. Are they as formal as they say? I mean. On Holland America Line, I usually wear jeans and a t-shirt or a polo t-shirt, and that's enough for a normal night when going to the Main Dining Room. On formal nights, trousers, a shirt and a jacket without a tie. Is that correct or not enough? I know that's going to be a difficult question to answer.

Not difficult at all.

Smart attire requires a collared shirt and trousers for men. Gala requires tux or dark suit with shirt and tie. You can wear jeans and polo shirt any night in the buffet, pub and one of the lounges.

Ladies tend to be ok with almost any dress or separates (including trousers).

Most people dress to the nines on gala nights and more formally on Smart attire nights than they would on any other cruise line.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, D&N said:

Not difficult at all.

Smart attire requires a collared shirt and trousers for men. Gala requires tux or dark suit with shirt and tie. You can wear jeans and polo shirt any night in the buffet, pub and one of the lounges.

Ladies tend to be ok with almost any dress or separates (including trousers).

Most people dress to the nines on gala nights and more formally on Smart attire nights than they would on any other cruise line.

So, you mean I cannot wear juans and a polo shirt any night (not formal) at the Main Dining Room? Really? 😳

Edited by ernnnn

11 minutes ago, ernnnn said:

So, you mean I cannot wear juans and a polo shirt any night (not formal) at the Main Dining Room? Really? 😳

No as D and N explained. Cunard has a stricter dress code than many other lines so may not be to everyone’s liking. Other included options would be the Golden Lion for lunch. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

No as D and N explained. Cunard has a stricter dress code than many other lines so may not be to everyone’s liking. Other included options would be the Golden Lion for lunch. 

Is it also complimentary?

19 minutes ago, ernnnn said:

What about Cunard at the Mediterranean? Too many kids? Are they usually well behaved? What about the food options? We have seen we have available the Lido and the Main Dining Room. Is there any other complimentary option apart from those?

@D&N gave excellent advice, but treat the suggested dress code as a minimum requirement, and go big.  Others do…..  Embrace the Cunard dress code to be part of the Cunard ambience experience.

With regard to children.  There will be some, but only on a few occasions have they appeared to be feral.  But, heard that Cunard “spoke” with the parents, with a polite offer of disembarkation.  Solved.
Adults can often appear more feral than children.

There are two more complimentary dining options… The Red Lion Pub and stateroom service.  Both options are good.

Cunard in the Med., and weather dependent, can offer Alfresco dining on the stern open deck, for a small nominal fee.  

Also, there is the Lido Alternative, this attracts a small cover charge for dinner.  Then there is the Verandah to consider for both Lunch and Dinner, for which there is a charge.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ernnnn said:

Hi there!

We are a Spanish couple thinking about reserving a Mediterranean cruise for next August on Cunard´s Queen Victoria. It would be our first time with them, as we always sail with Holland America Line and Princess. How do they compare to each other? Also, even when we are on our mid 40s, we like Holland America for not having many kids onboard.

Too many questions, I know. Also, any other recommendation for a newby would be much appreciated. Best regards!

Tips…

Consider booking one’s next Cunard Cruise while onboard for additional OBC, being over and above the OBC for booking the Cunard Fare.  AKA Free Money

Also, think about purchasing 100 Carnival shares, for shareholder benefit of OBC per stateroom.  If taking future Cunard Cruises, the ROI is excellent.  Money back in no time.

Some pension pots allow one to purchase Carnival shares as part on a legitimate holding.

Link… 50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Tips…

Consider booking one’s next Cunard Cruise while onboard for additional OBC, being over and above the OBC for booking the Cunard Fare.  AKA Free Money

Also, think about purchasing 100 Carnival shares, for shareholder benefit of OBC per stateroom.  If taking future Cunard Cruises, the ROI is excellent.  Money back in no time.

Some pension pots allow one to purchase Carnival shares as part on a legitimate holding.

Link… 50351a91-4dc0-4f6b-bfec-684647e6129f

We are already Carnival stockholders. Very reasonable OBC for just 100 shares, and they even went up since we bought them. Double win!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ernnnn said:

Hi there!

In short while Cunard would love your business, you will not be happy on board. While Cunard has relaxed their dress code a lot, it is consideraby better than Holland America. I did 30 days on Holland America this past winter and was borded out of my mind. Great ship, good food terrificstaff. Boring passenger mix and zero rating for the entrtainment. And while I saw no dirty folk I did see a lot of "out of the garden" attire. Please reconsider.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

a dress shirt" for "smart casual" for men. 

I’ve been corrected on this board with this one before -  - Cunard calls is Smart Attire not Smart Casual… You know we agree that the Dress Code an important part of the Cunard voyage. 

8 hours ago, ernnnn said:

Is it also complimentary?

Golden Lion is included therefore at no extra charge.( Queen Anne only has some extra charge items on the menu.)

8 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

@D&N gave excellent advice, but treat the suggested dress code as a minimum requirement, and go big.  Others do…..  Embrace the Cunard dress code to be part of the Cunard ambience experience.

With regard to children.  There will be some, but only on a few occasions have they appeared to be feral.  But, heard that Cunard “spoke” with the parents, with a polite offer of disembarkation.  Solved.
Adults can often appear more feral than children.

There are two more complimentary dining options… The Red Lion Pub and stateroom service.  Both options are good.

Cunard in the Med., and weather dependent, can offer Alfresco dining on the stern open deck, for a small nominal fee.  

Also, there is the Lido Alternative, this attracts a small cover charge for dinner.  Then there is the Verandah to consider for both Lunch and Dinner, for which there is a charge.

Pub is called Golden Lion. 

• Like 1

Ask about dress here and you will get some personal thoughts rather then objective reality.

Forget the 'go big' comment. It's certainly aspirational rather than reality and no one needs to 'go big at all but there are dress advisories which  have been ignored by a few and the few seem to have managed to dine in the restaurants OK so far. We saw jeans and Hawaiian untucked shirt on a couple of occasions this year in QG on non Gala evenings

but

an added piece in the daily programme as posted by Hattie seems to suggest the tide is turning for 'smart attire and Gala wear' of an evening in the restaurants and my assumption is the staff will guide those considered to be of a more casual dress for the evening, to the Lido or Golden Lion. A polo shirt will probably be OK for non Gala but polo and jeans? Not sure.

You will however be able to walk the ship, sit in the theatre as  Cunard have yet to have their dress police out to trap the more casual passenger and corral them back to the casual venues.

Cunard isn't stuffy but it's not as casual as other lines..However, although worn by some, ties and jackets are not required for non Gala evenings. Short/long sleeved shirt and chinos will be perfect. Jeans and said shirts, well def not obvious blue ones but black might be OK.

Gala evenings are different. Suit/black tie  should and is usually adhered to for main restaurants but there are other places to dine if that's not on your agenda.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Golden Lion is included therefore at no extra charge.( Queen Anne only has some extra charge items on the menu.)

Pub is called Golden Lion. 

Yes, I know… my bad… sorry…. Red Lion is my excellent local (Margatetting) where food is exceptional for a “pub”.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Pub
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ernnnn said:

That is what is detailed in the daily programmes on board the ship. I'm not sure why you find that so surprising. Cunard are probably best known for their dress code.

Are there no venues in Spain with formal dress codes?

Regarding children; In August, schools in England and Wales are on holiday, therefore there are likely to be more children on board than you might come across during school terms. Reports on this forum suggest they are usually very well behaved.

• Haha 1

On QV this summer there were a reasonable number of children, and as far as behaviour was concerned, aside from a couple of exceptions, they was nothing that anyone could legitimately complain about (although you could hear moans from the miserable crowd who consider a child in a swimming pool to be a direct affront to their own rights as a 'more important' passenger). Fortunately given both the Captain and Staff Captain had their kids on board at the time, everyone was made to feel very welcome. 

In terms of dress, Victoria2 has it nailed. Reading your posts, it appears that a casual dress code is important to you, and I wonder therefore if Cunard will be for you. It would be a shame if so, however, as it really isn't difficult to meet the dress code, and you'd be missing out on what is still a very good line. 

I've not been on Holland America or Princess (although am sailing Princess next summer), so I can't compare them. Cunard is very good, however, and in my view very much above the likes of P&O and RCI. Having only 2,000 passengers makes a real difference too. My three experiences with Celebrity are probably too long ago now to adequately judge where they currently sit in comparison. I used to rate them very highly though. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, D&N said:

That is what is detailed in the daily programmes on board the ship. I'm not sure why you find that so surprising. Cunard are probably best known for their dress code.

Are there no venues in Spain with formal dress codes?

Regarding children; In August, schools in England and Wales are on holiday, therefore there are likely to be more children on board than you might come across during school terms. Reports on this forum suggest they are usually very well behaved.

I find that so surprising because I have sailed with Holland America Line, Celebrity, Princess and MSC, and none of them had problems with that attire during non formal nights. And yes, there are venues with formal dress codes in Spain, but, if not necessary, I try to avoid them 😂.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ernnnn said:

I find that so surprising because I have sailed with Holland America Line, Celebrity, Princess and MSC, and none of them had problems with that attire during non formal nights. And yes, there are venues with formal dress codes in Spain, but, if not necessary, I try to avoid them 😂.

Why is it surprising? Cunard is not HAL, Celebrity, Princess or MSC and has its own dress code. Sounds like this may not be the line for you. MSC and Celebrity are not even part of Carnival Corp whereas even though Cunard HAL and Princess are,

each brand  retains its own identity and in Cunard’s case that is a more formal, less casual dress code around the ship

particularly in the evening after 6.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Why is it surprising? Cunard is not HAL, Celebrity, Princess or MSC and has its own dress code. Sounds like this may not be the line for you. MSC and Celebrity are not even part of Carnival Corp whereas even though Cunard HAL and Princess are,

each brand  retains its own identity and in Cunard’s case that is a more formal, less casual dress code around the ship

particularly in the evening after 6.

When you don't know a single bit of a cruise line apart from the name, and you are used to many other lines, and you are used to do one thing, the word you use when you discover something different is "surprising". Each cruise line is different, I know, and that's why I come here to ask and discover those unique particularities, instead of making a mistake once onboard. And, while all the answers are being respectful, I'm finding the dress code issue a bit "personal" on some answers.That's also "surprising" to me.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ernnnn said:

It appears Cunard may not be a good fit for one.  

Think it’s best, for all cruisers, to sail on lines that have dress codes, and ambience, that they are comfortable with.  Otherwise, there will be concerns, and angst, raised before, during, and after sailing.

Posting one’s personal unhappiness, regarding dress codes, on various web-sites, will not influence any change to the Line’s protocols.

If genuinely seeking to upgrade one’s usual sailings, then they are many lines, other than Cunard, with more relaxed dress codes.  CC has excellent threads to assist one’s selection.

Whatever one chooses, happy sailing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Yes, I know… my bad… sorry…. Red Lion is my excellent local (Margatetting) where food is exceptional for a “pub”.

Funny. There is a hotel/restaurant near where I live called the Red Lion but sadly trades on its past glories. It the food currently offered was a patch on the Golden Lion, Queen’s room afternoon tea or Britannia for big events I would be more than happy. 

2 hours ago, ernnnn said:

This is the place to ask Cunard questions but you must realise 'dress' is a contentious issue peculiar to this board and you might not like some of the less objective remarks.

Cunard [and I'm not including QM2 in this as I think her passengers adhere to advisories more, especially on a transatlantic] has toned down it's dress code since Covid, much to the angst of many but the fact remains, as a cruise line, it's less casual than many.

There is nothing stopping you giving QV [our favourite ship] a whirl to see if you like her or not but if you could add a pair of chinos to your wardrobe, you might find  you would be more in keeping with 'advisories' which might become less advisory and more a directive.

Whatever you decide, passengers on Cunard are no different to any other cruise line. No one looks 'down' on anyone and most are lovely, ordinary folk, hopefully, just as we are. The difference is there is a less informal approach in the main restaurants, especially if the new dress points in the Daily Programme are to be believed, of an evening. That's all.

I do hope you'll try Victoria. She's charming. 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1