Reporting medical conditions

I only report my sleep apnea due to the need for distilled water. I doubt the medical center knows.

My only other issue of a bad back meant that back in the day, on ships where muster was done outside, I would request to go to the handicapped area since I can't stand that long. However, I can assure you, in the event of an emergency, I'd get my @$$ down to the lifeboat.

6 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I only report my sleep apnea due to the need for distilled water. I doubt the medical center knows.

My only other issue of a bad back meant that back in the day, on ships where muster was done outside, I would request to go to the handicapped area since I can't stand that long. However, I can assure you, in the event of an emergency, I'd get my @$$ down to the lifeboat.

THIS ^^ is important.

IF you would need help if there were to be an evacuation, then you definitely (!) want the ship authorities to know (!!!!).  And then you'd need help with the muster drill.  They are set up for that, to help wheelchair-bound passengers, etc., but they need to know.

And they'd "know" at the muster drill if one doesn't show up.

However, most "medical conditions" aren't like that, and there's no need to "tell the medical center".

But IF there are *ANY* "special needs" (help with muster/evacuation or otherwise), you should tell the "Special Needs" department of the cruise line well before boarding. This includes medical dietary restrictions.  They probably have a special form to complete.  (Note that it's very likely that most of the form won't apply to any specific passenger, so we just put "n/a" [not applicable] for any such sections.)

So...

2 hours ago, Knighthunter said:

Is it common practice to report existing medical conditions to on board medical staff upon boarding? 

No... you need to report anything that requires or might require special assistance long before boarding.

Note that the ship's medical center is for medical emergencies/urgencies-that-might-become-emergencies/etc.  They are not set up to assist with ongoing medical care, such as for on-board dialysis.

If you need specialized equipment, such as scooters or wheelchairs (or even a hospital bed), those can be rented IN ADVANCE.  The cruise line will have at least one vendor to contact for such services.  (The ship staff will *not* be able to be the wheelchair "pusher" in general, although they'll help with boarding and disembarking if necessary.)

For special diets, they'll need to know in advance, too.

GC

8 minutes ago, Knighthunter said:

That all makes sense, thanks.

Just in case you do have any "special needs", also look at this section of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/

And post any questions you might have, such as about special diets.  Note that some (not all) may need advance notice as they would be bringing in frozen meals, not preparing them on the ship.  They can prepare a surprising range of special meals these days.

One nice situation is that most (all?) cruise lines are very well prepared to handle gluten-free diets, as are most land-based restaurants.  (But "on land", one could just go to "a different restaurant", of course.)

We were really surprised that in Italy, it was *very* easy to get gluten-free pasta!  And it was good! 🙂 

But other "special diets" may require advance planning.

So in part, your question depends upon just what type of "medical condition" is involved.

NO, no need to post it here:  Contact the Special Needs dept of the relevant cruise line.

GC

2 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Note that the ship's medical center is for medical emergencies/urgencies-that-might-become-emergencies/etc.  They are not set up to assist with ongoing medical care, such as for on-board dialysis.

For the most part that is correct however select cruise sailings with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruise Line have dialysis available through a company called Dialysis At Sea.

4 hours ago, Knighthunter said:

That all makes sense, thanks.

Hello @Knighthunter

So that other cruisers with ability differences of all types can see your question and the replies, your thread has been moved to the Special Interest Cruising - Disabled Cruise Travel forum where it will be on topic. 

I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start seeking information such as this one where you are interested in any new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are any new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

I sincerely hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Like 1