What size is the standard wine pour on Princess?

cruisinsince75

6 hours ago, laslomas said:

Are the glasses of wine on board only sold in one size? Or do they do a larger one too?

in the main dining room they used tiny glasses.  The kind that seem more appropriate for something like port wine.  But I would guess they would give you a bigger glass in the specialty restaurants, or if you order high end wine.  

The "princess pours" were so small that we needed to make a concious effort to avoid drinking it until our dinner arrives, otherwise the glass will be empty.

I suspect the small pours are part of an effort to steer passengers towards the drink package.  

23 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

in the main dining room they used tiny glasses.  The kind that seem more appropriate for something like port wine.  But I would guess they would give you a bigger glass in the specialty restaurants, or if you order high end wine.  

The "princess pours" were so small that we needed to make a concious effort to avoid drinking it until our dinner arrives, otherwise the glass will be empty.

I suspect the small pours are part of an effort to steer passengers towards the drink package.  

Good point.  I always stopped by Vines and ordered a double, promising to bring the larger glass they use back after dinner (which I always did).  If no Vines on the ship, I'd find a bar that does have them, e.g., the Crown Grill bar.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lou33 said:

Thanks for the responses. I should have asked if there are different 'pour' sizes, not glasses, as it is the amount of wine I am interested in.

In the UK we are used to seeing 3 sizes on wine menus: 125ml (small glass), 175ml (medium glass), or 250ml (large glass). So from using an online comparison the 5oz is approx 142 ml. Is that the only size offered on Princess? 

5 hours ago, laslomas said:

Thanks for the responses. I should have asked if there are different 'pour' sizes, not glasses, as it is the amount of wine I am interested in.

In the UK we are used to seeing 3 sizes on wine menus: 125ml (small glass), 175ml (medium glass), or 250ml (large glass). So from using an online comparison the 5oz is approx 142 ml. Is that the only size offered on Princess? 

For a glass of wine, there is only one size to order but you can always ask for a double pour.  If the bottle is nearly empty after the standard pour, some bartenders have been known to be a little heavy handed, though.  
They tend to only have the nice glasses at certain bars.  So, their standard wine glass really doesn’t hold much more than their standard pour.  

16 hours ago, 1KBAP said:

Good point.  I always stopped by Vines and ordered a double, promising to bring the larger glass they use back after dinner (which I always did).  If no Vines on the ship, I'd find a bar that does have them, e.g., the Crown Grill bar.

You are so right.  A nice wine deserves a nice glass.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks all.  Lots of good information here.  Does anyone know if Non Reserve mini suites have wine glasses and champagne flutes in the staterooms or do we need to call room service for a glass or glasses of wine to be delivered? 

We like the wine choices in Vines and both my wife and I use mobility scooters, which makes it tough to take wine from Vines to another venue.  Kind of hard to hold a drink in one hand and steer with he other!  I'm against drinking and driving! 😁  However, we do have a 750 ML. wine thermoses we travel with that has a screw top that we can use to transport without spilling it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laslomas said:

Afraid so.  Just the one sized pour, although you can ask for a double.

27 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Thanks all.  Lots of good information here.  Does anyone know if Non Reserve mini suites have wine glasses and champagne flutes in the staterooms or do we need to call room service for a glass or glasses of wine to be delivered? 

We like the wine choices in Vines and both my wife and I use mobility scooters, which makes it tough to take wine from Vines to another venue.  Kind of hard to hold a drink in one hand and steer with he other!  I'm against drinking and driving! 😁  However, we do have a 750 ML. wine thermoses we travel with that has a screw top that we can use to transport without spilling it.

The only glassware in the cabin is the two small glasses in the bathroom.

We went to a specialty restaurant one night and the wine pour was so small, it could not have been 4 ounces. Then we got the second glass, yes, I like a real glass of wine, and the second glass was much larger, Who knows, seems to be whoever pores it. Both glasses were the same wine, so that is not what made a difference. They were both the same $18 wine, but we were on a package so we did not say anything as we never get close to the 15 drinks. But is did create more work for the crew.

We were on the Sky last year and ate in the Reserve dining room with the Plus Package. When I ordered my first glass of wine, the waiter poured wine into a small juice glass for a measurement and then poured it into a wine glass. He did this every night so after the first night I just ordered a double. Ridiculous since I had the package. I have never had a waiter measure the wine like that.  

6 hours ago, cruisinsince75 said:

If there's no glassware in the cabin, ask your cabin Steward for wine glasses and wine opener . They'll happily make sure you have those items.

We usually have glasses along with our minibar set-up, but if you aren't Elite or in a suite, no minibar set-up, and thus - maybe no other glasses. .

You can also have glasses of wine delivered via room service or Ocean Now when you want some ..

53 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

We were on the Sky last year and ate in the Reserve dining room with the Plus Package. When I ordered my first glass of wine, the waiter poured wine into a small juice glass for a measurement and then poured it into a wine glass. He did this every night so after the first night I just ordered a double. Ridiculous since I had the package. I have never had a waiter measure the wine like that.  

I have randomly seen them do this. Usually when I have seen it, it's because they don't have the wine glasses they are used to using that they eyeball. That's usually at random bars where they run out of standard wine glasses (which was a weirdly constant problem on the Enchanted last fall). The other reason it could be happening is if the waiter is new and hasn't yet learned how to eyeball it? In Europe on land, I've seen it as a standard practice. I think they have laws about standard measures.

• Like 1

We're currently on the Crown, when ordering wine at dinner we're getting a full variety of measures. Sometimes the glass is full and Sometimes it's half full. Or anything in-between. 

It's a completely new experience for us that you have to finish a glass and then wait for them to replace it. We're used to the dining room having bottles that they just top up your glasses. Sitting through my main course without a drink isn't very impressive. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1KBAP said:

I was on the Crown a couple of months ago.  Didn't experience the varying fills of wine, but there was always a lengthy wait for refills.

I'm just going to start ordering another glass once I'm half way through. We've never had a counted drinks package before so, I'm assuming it's related. It's just odd that the wine isn't in the restaurant area and the waiters replenish your glass as you're drinking. It didn't help that our meal was dry and unpleasant, another glass of wine would've helped!!

It's all a learning curve for me at the moment. We're in Reserve dining, which is supposedly elevated service, the MDR must be very poor! 

There were a number of issues with our dining experience last night, a chat to the Maitre'D is in order this evening. 

13 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I'm just going to start ordering another glass once I'm half way through. We've never had a counted drinks package before so, I'm assuming it's related. It's just odd that the wine isn't in the restaurant area and the waiters replenish your glass as you're drinking. It didn't help that our meal was dry and unpleasant, another glass of wine would've helped!!

It's all a learning curve for me at the moment. We're in Reserve dining, which is supposedly elevated service, the MDR must be very poor! 

There were a number of issues with our dining experience last night, a chat to the Maitre'D is in order this evening. 

You can also order a 'double' glass of wine and they will give you 2 pours in one glass. Easier than waiting for a refill.

If you have a package this will count as 2 drinks.

On 9/28/2024 at 7:36 AM, dreaminofcruisin said:

You can also order a 'double' glass of wine and they will give you 2 pours in one glass. Easier than waiting for a refill.

If you have a package this will count as 2 drinks.

From something we overheard last night, we've been receiving a double pour as standard, with the occasional single, that's where I'd noticed the difference. Last nights Malbec below.

We've moved tables now and the new wait staff ask if we'd like another glass before we've finished the existing glass and the service is generally much better. 

Screenshot_20240929_092648_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1